HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went to the gunshop/indoor range today, after I was done shooting I went to ask on a possible trade of my HK45C w/night sites. Guy comes back with $450 maybe $500 WTF!!!!! How much profit will they make if I were stupid enough to sell my HK for that price? I haven't shot my 45C since Feb because I hate the trigger, but just out of a matter of principle I absolutely refuse to sell it for that lowass price.

My Tact .40 is a freaking dream to shoot. Why didn't HK keep that trigger in the 45C? I know it's probably completely different internals but is it possible to get the tact .40 feel in my 45C? If I could I would, if not it'll be a safe queen for a loooong time unless I sell online :)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I got offered $250 for aG26 I bought 3 days earlier. NEVER trade your guns into a shop if you're looking for a margin in your favor.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I was told $450 combined for a Kahr P380 and Walther PPS.

That's just the way the game is. Don't hate the player, hate the game. That's why most gunshops I've even been to refuse to buy firearms and only run consignment. And yes, I put those two on consignment and got over $800.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ Yea I never asked if they do the consignment thing, maybe they do. Yes I'm hating I really wanted to slap the **** out of him but then, he realistically will probably only sell it for $700. Same gun shop last year I was selling a Para and the price was so low the guy said the $100 profit he will get from it, it's not even worth looking into. So that means every gun they take on trade they make at least $200 when they sell it. It's all good, nothing is stopping me from getting the firearm I want, just that if it's not getting used might as well sell it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's to be expected. Does it seem right? No. Is it the way it works? Yes.
A bricks and sticks shop isn't cheap to run. Rent, utilities, payroll, insurance, etc. etc. etc. Think of how much it costs to run the place for a week vs. how many guns they sell. He's low baling because he's the one taking the chance on it. Eventually it'll sell but what if there's not much interest in it for a while and he sits on it. What if it sits there for a while and then the guy who does want it beats him down on price. I'm not saying I would have taken $450 because I wouldn't have. I can't tell you the last time I bought from a sticks and bricks gun store but I can kinda understand their side of things......as long as they're not jerks. Then all bets are off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's actually not a terrible offer, from a gun shop.

They sell to desperate people, or those looking for a quick $. Take your time and sell it on the internet.. it's not like a car where there are advantages to trading in.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hey gtbigup go to Free Classifieds in Georgia | The Outdoors Trader!

I do alot of buying and selling there. Its all free local classifieds for GA. When i sold the wifeys px4 storn sc i put it up on there and hand cash in hand less than 24 hours later. I took it up to a lgs and they offered me 240 bucks for it with only about 80 rounds through it. So i posted it on that site and i got 425 for it in 19 hours.

Not only that but i have purchased my usp expert, uspc 45, uspf 45, and uspc ss 9 from that site. FTF transfers are the way to go man especially in GA. A bill of sale is not even needed in GA, i prefer to have a bill of sale when selling but when buying i could care less.

Check it out man, and please snatch some hks from there before i see them! My wallet has been hating that site lately

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You also have to take into consideration that most gun stores have an anemic markup on new guns. Alot of the money they make is through used gun trade-ins

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Well since no one else has asked I will. Why the heck did you buy a gun when you hate the trigger so much? I would probably buy it off ya if not for the group buy.

·
Registered
854 Posts
So I went to the gunshop/indoor range today, after I was done shooting I went to ask on a possible trade of my HK45C w/night sites. Guy comes back with $450 maybe $500 WTF!!!!! How much profit will they make if I were stupid enough to sell my HK for that price? I haven't shot my 45C since Feb because I hate the trigger, but just out of a matter of principle I absolutely refuse to sell it for that lowass price.

My Tact .40 is a freaking dream to shoot. Why didn't HK keep that trigger in the 45C? I know it's probably completely different internals but is it possible to get the tact .40 feel in my 45C? If I could I would, if not it'll be a safe queen for a loooong time unless I sell online :)
That's a high offer compared to my area...I always got the "We can't move HKs....nobody wants to buy em cuz they cost 2x as much as a Glock" line...of course I've never gone in desperate enough to actually accept their offers, I just like to f*ck with the d-bags who run my LGS'....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well since no one else has asked I will. Why the heck did you buy a gun when you hate the trigger so much? I would probably buy it off ya if not for the group buy.
Well I have never gotten to test fire a gun prior to buying, but since I had my USP Tact .40 since 2007 and love it, I assumed I'd like the 45C as well. Trust me if they had it on their rental line, I would have rented it first to see if I like it. I understand it's like pissing in the wind here since none of my current firearms have been shot prior to me purchasing them, but the 45C is the only one I can't/don't think I will ever like the trigger. That's just me. Never had an issue with functionality though, as all you that own one already know.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
it's the same old story. Like most gun owners, they play with them more than they shoot them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a high offer compared to my area...I always got the "We can't move HKs....nobody wants to buy em cuz they cost 2x as much as a Glock" line...of course I've never gone in desperate enough to actually accept their offers, I just like to f*ck with the d-bags who run my LGS'....
LMAO yea that line makes me laugh, they always use it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Vdub, checking it out now.

Hey gtbigup go to Free Classifieds in Georgia | The Outdoors Trader!

I do alot of buying and selling there. Its all free local classifieds for GA. When i sold the wifeys px4 storn sc i put it up on there and hand cash in hand less than 24 hours later. I took it up to a lgs and they offered me 240 bucks for it with only about 80 rounds through it. So i posted it on that site and i got 425 for it in 19 hours.

Not only that but i have purchased my usp expert, uspc 45, uspf 45, and uspc ss 9 from that site. FTF transfers are the way to go man especially in GA. A bill of sale is not even needed in GA, i prefer to have a bill of sale when selling but when buying i could care less.

Check it out man, and please snatch some hks from there before i see them! My wallet has been hating that site lately

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
The LGS where I bought my HKs has been very fair to me with what they will pay me on my trades. They look up recent auctions, find the average selling price and then offer me 70% to 80% based on their sense of how quickly that they can resell it. I am good with how they work it. If I am okay with the offer I trade it in to them, I don't have to shop it, ship it, wait for payment etc. If I do not like the offer I keep the gun.

My other hobby is audio, I have a higher end two channel stereo system using McIntosh tube amps from the early 1960's. I mostly do business with brick and mortar shops for that hobby as well. I appreciate getting advice from the shop owner or staff member and like to be hands on with the gear be it a home theater / stereo shop or LGS and am willing to pay a little more (or trade for a little less) to help keep them in my neighborhood.

I too would not have accepted $450 for the HK45c, however it appears if you wait long enough you might get an offer you cannot refuse right here.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I worked in a gun shop for 10 years. We often made decent money buying used guns. Like any business buying from the public, we made money on the purchase, not the sale. That means, it has to be bought right. First of all, the dealer is going to figure the price he can buy it wholesale. That wholesale gun is new, the gun over the counter is used, so naturally, the dealer is going to pay a fair amount less that he can buy it wholesale. And, don't go by "dealer" list price, there are a number of ways to buy less than that price, even for HKs. Then there is the factor of, how fast is it going to sell? HK? It should sell OK, but it won't necessarily fly out the door.

For our area, the worst were the guys who brought in something like a Remington 700 ADL, hardwood, pressed checkering, where the guy bought a Bushnell scope and everything to mount it to the gun. He's got a plastic hard case, cleaning kit, and maybe some other stuff. That gun doesn't sell in Annapolis. He walks in thinking he's going to get all his money back, not only on the gun, but he figures it's worth more than he paid because he's put so much thought into putting the package together and sighting it in. The dealer looks at this as a gun he doesn't want, that isn't going to sell, and has a bunch of accessories that are common and used. Guy gets really pissed at the offer and leaves with the gun.

Most current model pistols from a good manufacturer will sell. From the dealer's perspective, if a guy wanted to see an HK45C, the dealer can show him the new gun, or if the customer prefers, here is the same gun used for $200 less. Some people would jump on that, many wouldn't want a used gun.

Essentially, the dealer would often size up the seller. What price can I get him to sell for? Too many guys say "screw me up the tailpipe" just walking in. The classic is, my wife won't let me come home if I have this gun. Or, I'm getting married and she doesn't want a gun in the house. You might as well just hand it to him and walk out.

I had seen guys come in and offer to sell a SIG P226. Dealer offers him a real low price. Guy nicely refuses and strolls around the shop before he leaves. I tell the dealer, the gun is worth at least $100 more than his offer, up his offer before the guy leaves the shop. Dealer says, it's more than any of the other shops in the area are going to offer him, I know what they pay for used guns...you wait, he will be back. Sure as sh!t, two hours later, guy come back and takes the low offer. If the dealer followed my advice, he would have lost $100...pure profit.

Now, this was all before the internet, so the world has changed a little. But cash on the spot means a lot to many people.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I understand that perfectly well, dealers are in the biz to make money just like any other business. But say for example, he wanted to trade the 45c +cash for something of greater value. I would say the dealer should be alot more fair with the value of said hk45c. Considering that he is making money on the price of the gun he is giving up in trade, and now has an hk45c to sell and make more on.
Would you agree?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have worked in a gun shop for 12 years we still go by the gun price guide book we try to buy for 50-60% of what its worth in the book. We do make more money or a when we sell a used gun than we do when we sell a new gun. The people that sell them are the people that needed money yesterday. Like today we bought 7 HK pistols 2 USP 40 compacts 3 USP 40 full size and 2 P2000 9mm and the one we gave the most for was a NIB USP 40 compact we gave 600 for it. We will put the NIB gun in the counter for 825-850

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.