HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t have any HK long-guns besides SBR’d pistols. I don’t have an AR platform.308/7.62 either. I was trying for a HK91 & gave up when the prices went crazy.
I’ve got some LNIB classic HK pistols that are just sitting & am pondering getting rid of them for something I’ll use.
What do y’all think? Get a MR762, wait till the HK91 prices come down, or something else?

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
If you’re a HK fanboy, I’d say yes to the MR762, but to be honest, it’s a heavy, expensive, and proprietary gun that uses expensive and sometimes hard to find magazines. There isn’t much in the way of non-HK aftermarket for it. Not going to get into other guns because we don’t do versus comparisons here, but my personal take is that if you can only afford one 7.62, the MR762 might not be the best option. I’d recommend looking closely at it and consider how you want to use it and whether you want to make any changes.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you’re a HK fanboy, I’d say yes to the MR762, but to be honest, it’s a heavy, expensive, and proprietary gun that uses expensive and sometimes hard to find magazines. There isn’t much in the way of non-HK aftermarket for it. Not going to get into other guns because we don’t do versus comparisons here, but my personal take is that if you can only afford one 7.62, the MR762 might not be the best option. I’d recommend looking closely at it and consider how you want to use it and whether you want to make any changes.
I’ve got other 7.62/.308 semi & bolt rifles. Just not an HK or an AR platform .308/7.62. I don’t care about the aftermarket except for an OSS muzzle device, & optics/mounts.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,892 Posts
MR762 is a sweet shooter, accurate, easy to clean & maintain, and utterly reliable. Blows the HK91 away (unless looking for an auto host)......buy now

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I wouldn't pay anything over $4k for one that's for sure. Most shoot well, there's a few lemons that pop up (one here lately).

The MR762 makes the most sense set up as a precision gun...might as well make that weight work in your favor. With that comes ammo and optics that cost more to get the performance to make the whole thing worth it.

If that's not your thing and you're looking to just blast a whole bunch of M80 and use a red dot or low power optic, it's probably going to get old fast.

To be honest, semi-auto 308's are kinda lame...the cost compared to the performance received is not a great value given how expensive good large-frame semi auto's are. At least with the 91/SR9 you get some kitsch/history with it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
FPNI.

If you're a HK 7.62 diehard, then maybe. The MR series in general doesn't have enough je ne sais quoi for me to spend the extra money over a competing system. LMT's MWS scratched the itch for me.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
FPNI.

If you're a HK 7.62 diehard, then maybe. The MR series in general doesn't have enough je ne sais quoi for me to spend the extra money over a competing system. LMT's MWS scratched the itch for me.

YMMV.
Similar boat.

I had legacy 91/SR9 and a 11E...a few neat configs in there.
I tried a KAC SR25 EMC...kinda wish I hadn't sold it. No doubt my inexperience driving a gas gun was a factor in my dislike of that gun.
I had TSC Machine make me the MSG-3K .
I went back to bolt guns only and did a GA Precision 308 shorty
I T&E'd some SCARs to get baseline data for a barrel maker, while it was a capable gun, I didn't care for shooting it.
I went back to KAC and got an SR25 ACC before selling it and giving up on semi auto's. I said on here openly that if I EVER did it again, it would either be an HK or LMT MWS.
I went MWS and am actually finally happy (it wasn't stupid expensive and I have a decent 6.5CM semi auto).

·
Premium Member
HK SP5, HK SP5K PDW, HK SP5K EURO, HK 45 Tactical, HK VP9 Tactical OR, HK MR762. HK416. HKG36C clone
171 Posts
Owned MR762 and Scar 20s(308).
Love the HK shorter barrel, lighter, more accurate than Scar 20s. Dislike M762 trigger, hard to find mags, regular butt stock no cheek riser.
If you want to shoot longer range then go with Scar 6.5 creedmoor. Couple week ago saw one on sale $3899.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you’re going to suppress it, almost every other option is a better option than the MR762. It doesn’t come with an adjustable gas block. (There were only a scant run of 10 that had adjustable gas blocks if memory serves.) That relegates you to using the OSS suppressor as it has little back pressure. Because the gun is so heavy, you’d likely want to pick up the Ti variant at $1.5k

Personally, for the money, if I were only looking to run 308, I’d run the Knight’s Armament SR-25 ACC with a QDC CRS suppressor. HK vs Knight’s Armament, the suppressor, gun and mags costs are roughly the same. But, the KAC pedigree and reliability is tried and true. Parts acquisition isn’t nose-in-the-air HK style flippancy. And the resale on them have always been outstanding. You’re very likely to get your money back out if you’re ready to move on.

Now, with that being said, if you were looking for an AR-10 that shot 6.5 Creedmoor, the LMT is the only way to go. Quick barrel changes make the LMT a phenomenal host for the AR-10 platform. Note though, that the quick change platform adds a pretty significant amount of weight. So, if you were okay with that, and wanted the ability to shoot 6.5 Creedmoor (4000ish rounds will kill a barrel), you’d have the ability to change the barrel, plus still be able to shoot other rounds through another barrel such as 308, etc. The price of the LMT is about 2/3 of the aforementioned as well.

The Scar has lots of plastic and a weird recoil impulse, but if you’re shooting the 20S (instead of the 17), it negates the weird recoil impulse pretty well. It’s a polarizing firearm; you either love it or hate it. Highly suggest you seek one out and if possible, shoot a few rounds to see if you like it before committing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
For me, the only role my mr762 fills better than anything else I have is if I needed to engage 21 distant targets inside a minute from a stationary position. Although I do like shooting it. Its accuracy is on par with my accurized Remington 700 in my non-pro hands. If push comes to shove, the scar17 prob gets to stay.

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
1,690 Posts
Owned MR762 and Scar 20s(308).
Love the HK shorter barrel, lighter, more accurate than Scar 20s. Dislike M762 trigger, hard to find mags, regular butt stock no cheek riser.
Geissele trigger & G28 stock - now my MR762 is head to head with my FN 20s - both have same optic / both are sub MOA ❤

I think it is somewhat over the top to spend $1k to upgrade a MR762 but I bought in the low $3k range when a novice had 1 box of shells thru it. 308 is not for everyone - I grew up with a M1A - 308 is normal for me. HK91 - nice to look at - does not shoot well at 500m - silhouette targets - yes - it gets there for a kill - but no 3 round groups inside of a pie pan.
I know there are “better” cartridges - but I am pretty much NATO only.
HK91 (G3) is an infantry battle rifle - HK MR762 & FN SCAR 20s are for the DMR - Get either of the latter if you want the thrill of putting three rounds touching the same hole @ 300m✔

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really like mine but finding a spare magazine for sale for the damn thing is like looking for a virgin at the Playboy mansion.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
There is a Reason the Army went with them as well.
The CSASS was selected mostly on the optic and suppressor package. It's the only 308 rifle they've done right and they haven't fielded any in this configuration yet.

Then they pressed the gun as a dmr with a feeble 1-6x Sig after their idiotic ICSR got junked. This is of course in the wake of the terrible choices made in keeping the M110 stagnant and not tracking the Emc -> Ecc -> Acc evolution. And of course there's the EBR and the legacy of failure with the m14...

So yeah....GO ARMY

There's rumors that neither HK nor KAC is a contender for the Socom MRGG (mid range gas gun)...and that the companies to beat both start with "L"

1 - 20 of 48 Posts