HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, please do. I'm buying my first handgun, and I was all set on the Walther PPQ. Loved the ergonomics, loved how it shot, loved the feel of it, loved the price of it, loved the economy of shooting 9mm.

Just to do due diligence, I decided to give .45s a shot. Fired off some 1911s. Enjoyed them, but not as much as the Walther. Shot a Glock. Hated it. Then along came the HK45C. It's twice as expensive, both in terms of the initial buy and to keep it fed. It's not as comfortable. It's got half the capacity. It's got a DA/SA trigger that I found rather challenging coming from the same-every-time Walther.

But I'm going to walk back in there tomorrow and buy it instead of the Walther unless you guys talk me out of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do not pass "Go", do not collect $200 - buy the gun.

This is probably not the best place to come to if you really want to be talked out of buying the 45C.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why spend over $500 on a gun that you really don't want? It's your first handgun, get the one you really want. Trust me on this. I bought two handguns and sold them both after I realized I wanted an HK. Skip that BS and go straight to the top.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Buy both and learn to reload. You can reload a 45 for almost the same as you can by new 9mm. I have both, there are days shooting a big bore, will put a big smile on your face.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hi. welcome. You seemed to list every reason why you like the PPQ better than the 45c. However, you came to this HK forum and posted here for some sort of reason. What is it about the 45c that you DO like better than the Walther. Trust me I get it, HK's have a magical quality. But I'm just curious what's holding your interest for the HK over the Walther that you really like.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was all set on the Walther PPQ. Loved the ergonomics, loved how it shot, loved the feel of it, loved the price of it, loved the economy of shooting 9mm.

Then along came the HK45C. It's twice as expensive, both in terms of the initial buy and to keep it fed. It's not as comfortable. It's got half the capacity. It's got a DA/SA trigger that I found rather challenging coming from the same-every-time Walther.
The answer lies in your own words.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. welcome. You seemed to list every reason why you like the PPQ better than the 45c. However, you came to this HK forum and posted here for some sort of reason. What is it about the 45c that you DO like better than the Walther. Trust me I get it, HK's have a magical quality. But I'm just curious what's holding your interest for the HK over the Walther that you really like.
That's a good question, and one I've been trying to figure out since this morning. The appeal of the .45, maybe? Dunno. Just know it made me grin, and for some reason I think I liked shooting it more than the Walther. And I loved the Walther.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hmm... well. I have made purchases in the past like this. Everything on gun A had what I wanted, but there was something about gun B that drew me in more. I couldn't stop thinking about gun B. I ended up getting gun A, and regretted it. So I got B later on and A just sat there, not being shot, alone in the safe.

I say go to the gun shop tomorrow, hold them both and which ever one feels like your gun, get.

If I were you, I'd get the 45c. I have nothing against Walthers. But I'm an HK guy... I had to give you at least one bias answer since this is HKpro.com. You really can't go wrong with any HK. They are incredible, hold value, and shoot great. And who wouldn't want to own an HK? Especially the latest and greatest 45c?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The answer lies in your own words.
+1

Yea buy the PPQ. Sounds like you have your mind made up don't let us tell you different. Personally, I brought the HK45c (on my 3rd on now) because I'm willing to go through the growing pains and learn DA/SA and sacrafice on the Starbucks to buy the more expensive .45 ammo. Might sound stupid but I brought the HK45c knowing I would have to conform my lifestyle around that gun. Buy the PPQ. Is the HK45c the best .45 acp on the market?... To me? Yes. But that's my "truth". Your "truth" is that it isn't so don't do this to yourself. I can already tell from your question that you'll regret buying the HK45c.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What do you intend to use it for? I would probably buy a PPQ over a P30 nowadays. The Walther's trigger is simply much better. The LEM will level the playing field to a degree, if you prefer a hammer. Also, the grips are not as abrasive as the P30's, which make CC annoying unless you always wear an undershirt. The 45C uses the P2000's grip panels, which are smoother and much more suited to carry.

All that said, I would buy the 45C and never look back if you feel like it's one of those things that will bug you. I bought a P30 a few years ago as my first pistol, over an XD or P229, and am very, very happy I went "all out." Then again... I like to have the best of everything, even if it takes more time... then you eliminate the envies one at a time! ;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
All that said, I would buy the 45C and never look back if you feel like it's one of those things that will bug you. I bought a P30 a few years ago as my first pistol, over an XD or P229, and am very, very happy I went "all out." Then again... I like to have the best of everything, even if it takes more time... then you eliminate the envies one at a time! ;)
that's a good argument for the HK. I think you need to just go with your gut. And think about what you'll be pleased having next week, next month, etc. If there's something really pushing to buy the HK, and if the price difference can be justified to you, get it. But don't just buy on a whim. Maybe you should think about it a little more until the adrenaline of a new gun purchase wears off.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Im not slamming you for your two candidates, but both are about as far apart as it gets. One is hammer fired, the other striker fired. What one do you prefer? I realize this is your first one, but I would determine that first, because to me its the driving HUGE factor. Myself, I prefer the hammer fired system. Then price comes into play on price and ammo. I have shot both the HK45C and USP Compact .45 alot, the only thing the HK45C brings to the table over USP Compact .45 is the 1913 rail, plus I can get into a USP Compact .45 for a few hundred less=alot of ammo/money for a class. The USP Compact .45 is no slouch, it shoots very very well. Im not a fan of WML so it works great. Not slamming the HK45C, it great too and a tad more ergo, but not enough for me to run out and buy one ... after all the HK45C is ALL USP on the inside! =)

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you can't afford to pick it up right away......Put it on layaway, HK45C is the definition of "BEAUTY!"

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't get it! The 45c has a lousy trigger compared to the PPQ; it has a horrible trigger re-set compared to the PPQ; the grip is not ergo like the PPQ; and it is way more expensive to buy and shoot...

Of course, I have the 45c and wouldn't trade it for 10 PPQs, and I actually like Walthers (I have a beautiful German-made 1968 PPK in 7.65), so take that for what it's worth. I did try and talk you out of it, though!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do you intend to use it for?
Range, "nightstand gun," and likely carrying once I take some classes and get my permit.

Im not slamming you for your two candidates, but both are about as far apart as it gets.
They are.

One is hammer fired, the other striker fired. What one do you prefer?
No idea. I do like the external safety on the HK, I'll give it that.

As for the USP Compact, I shot one as well, though admittedly in 9mm. I like the ergonomics of the HK45C quite a bit better, and that's pretty important to me due to my small hands.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't get it! The 45c has a lousy trigger compared to the PPQ; it has a horrible trigger re-set compared to the PPQ; the grip is not ergo like the PPQ; and it is way more expensive to buy and shoot...

Of course, I have the 45c and wouldn't trade it for 10 PPQs, and I actually like Walthers (I have a beautiful German-made 1968 PPK in 7.65), so take that for what it's worth. I did try and talk you out of it, though!
Ha, thanks. :p I've done quite a bit of reading on the PPQ - and the 9mm HKs I was considering before it - and I've discovered that I'm too new to frequent shooting to be able to tell what's bad about the 45C's trigger. I can definitely tell it's different from the PPQ, but the 45C appears to go bang when the trigger's squeezed, like nearly every other pistol I tested.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts