HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going everyone?

Lately I've been reading about many different caliber discussions-- I dont want to get into an argument over which caliber is better but I wanted to know if target ammo is good enough for self-defense.

I always have blazer brass in 9mm and 45 acp-- its not their premium ammo just the inexpensive loads I buy at walmart and shoot at the range.

So my question is- if $hit hits the fan- can I depend on this ammo to defend my home?

Regards,
NL

·
Registered
823 Posts
It's better than throwing rocks for home defense. Is it ideal, probably no. If you'll be using ball, use 45acp.

I'm probably like most people, I have only a limited # of premium self-defense rounds. I like/have Winchester Ranger and Hornady Tap. I have approx 100 round of 9mm Ranger and a couple UMP mags of 45 Ranger and Hornady in my USC. Besides that, it's all ball.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info Joe! I still plan on getting premium self defense JHP loads but just wanted reassurance. Atleast I 'll know what gun to pick up just in case something does happen between now and when I get it.

btw--some nice hardware you got there... I've always admired the UMP, it would be a first choice if I ever actually got a sub-machine gun. My second would be mp5...

Regards,
NL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lol yep definately beats trowing rocks...although rock tossing is all about placement as well. I just have more confidence in my shot placement with standard ammo than I do with my side arm throw... :43:

From all the different tests I have seen, and obviously there are millions of these all with differing results, JHP's are less effective when penetration is required. During the winter an intruder wearing a leather jacket over several layers of underclothing might not go down to the ole double tap to the chest from 10-20 feet. Never hurts to follow-up with that extra round to the head jic! In reality, the close quarters sound of a handgun being fired at them is usually enough to get them to beat feet outa your house post haste. That's not to say I'm suggesting blanks...

Byte

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Gotta agree it is not ideal but yes, it is certainly better than throwing rocks. Like others I keep a certain amount of self defense rounds on hand and after thats gone it would be ball ammo. But it will poke holes in targets, and I was never any good at hitting anything with a rock so if it is what I have I will use it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hi shok for winter self defense use- it shouldn't get clogged up with from the extra layers your target may be wearing- they have the pin in the middle of it to ensure it's proper expansion, any other time: Ranger, Starfires, Black talon (if you can find it and willing to pay the premium) and Magsafe ammo you can't go wrong for self defense. as far as ball ammo- i don't ever recall reading anywhere where someone took 3 to the chest with a 45 cal. ball and lived to keep fighting. you paid enough for the gun, save some rocks and just use your pistol to beat him with it if you run out of ammo.....it's already in your hand!!!!! :50:

·
Registered
823 Posts
YW and thank you. Byte was making a good point about penetration. I know of at least one cop/ex-cop who carries ball and HPs mixed in the same mag. Just in case he needs a little extra penetration. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
YW and thank you. Byte was making a good point about penetration. I know of at least one cop/ex-cop who carries ball and HPs mixed in the same mag. Just in case he needs a little extra penetration. :)
very good idea, i always load my mags apx (depending on capacity and caliber) 60% of capacity with self defense rounds and the last 40% with fmj. i figure if i miss my first few shots, my target is going to duck down or get behind something if they are smart. this way i'll have rounds that won't have any problems going through a piece of sheet metal or two. - it also cuts cost down on your self defense ammo since your only using maybe half of the box in a mag. (your suppose to replace your self defense ammo annually due to the oil etc.)

·
Registered
616 Posts
You may want to read some reports of different ammo and pay attention to which models tend to expand better through different material and barriers. There is so much info out there between FMJ, JHP, and now bonded ammo its enough to make you go cross eyed. I wouldnt want range ammo, and given the choice I would go with JHP or bonded, but thats just me. Make sure you can practice with what you carry or keep for HD as well. I buy about a half case a year of my carry ammo, and shoot around 30 - 50 rounds of it a month (about 10 rounds a week after my regular range ammo sessions).

I gotta tell you, that if you start unloading on an intruder, I highly doubt they are going to stick around and check to see if your bullet made it all the way through their coat...Im guessing they would wait until they were down the block and around the corner for that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
IMO you should always use JHP's for any self defense situation. The top half JHP, bottom half FMJ, is acceptable as well.

Reason being, JHP's are designed to stop IN the target. You dont want to be firing FMJ's and have them go through your target and into an innocent bystander. If the shooting takes place inside your home, you have family members in other rooms to think about.

Personally, I think it's worth the extra cost just to have the additional peace of mind. A JHP may still over penetrate, but there's much less chance of that happening when compared to FMJ's.

If you want something that feels the same during practice as well as the 'real thing' Speer Lawman and GDHP's are excellent ammo, in both respects.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I live in NJ and am prohibited from using hollowpoint ammo in a self defense situation - my main weapon is a USP Fullsize in .45 - What should I be using in my bedside mags?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah in spite of my earlier post I do tend to agree that JHPs or bonded ammo are better than ball for self defense purposes. As Cadillac pointed out, homes are pretty tight spaces and over penetration is definately a concern. At the moment my house mags are loaded with regular run-o-the-mill Remington 180gr JHPs. Bigger and slightly slower to hopefully reduce penetration.

I know the general consensus between gun owners is that we are willing to kill to defend our homes and loved ones, however, actually killing an intruder might not be the best course of action depending on your state laws. I for one will shoot to kill and let the law sort it out later but it is ALWAYS something to consider. Is lethal force always required to defend you and yours? No, of course it's not. This point is even more important to keep in mind when out in public spaces if and when a self defense situation might escalate to the use of deadly force. As free as I want us to be I am a strict proponent of the need and requirement of proper weapon training prior to obtaining a CCW. Wish I weren't too dang lazy to go find a qualified instructor! This goes for the average gun owner, as well. Really understanding how to use a gun and when it is proper to do so should be part of any good civics program. Wait what am I saying...are there even civics courses offered these days? Hunters Safety is still offered at least right? It's amazing how much the majority of the younger generations don't know about their own country. Poo I'm ranting all off topic again... I blame it on the beer... :56: away!

Byte

·
Registered
260 Posts
. as far as ball ammo- i don't ever recall reading anywhere where someone took 3 to the chest with a 45 cal. ball and lived to keep fighting.
Unfortunately I've personally seen people who have taken more than that and were still threats. I've also got pictures of folks who sustained a ridiculous amount of GSWs from multiple weapons (including 12ga shotguns), and continued the fight. The wounds were eventually fatal, but they didn't stop the threat immediately.

Take home lesson- be prepared to shoot until the threat is gone. Hell, it's all the same incident number anyway..... :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I live in NJ and am prohibited from using hollowpoint ammo in a self defense situation - my main weapon is a USP Fullsize in .45 - What should I be using in my bedside mags?
Ahh.. I didn't notice you were in NJ.

The next best thing would be expanding point FMJ's. It's not a JHP, but you do lessen the risk of over penetration. Not to mention it leaves a bigger hole.

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 on the EFMJ (Federal) which are not hollow points but do expand. Also a plus if winter clothing is a worry. The Federal stuff I've tried in 9mm and .45 and it shoots very well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
And don't forget to put some of the EXACT brand / type of ammo you are going to use through the gun that you are going to use them in.

Some guns may not like some brand/type combos.

Yes it is going to cost you some money to put 50-100 rounds through the gun, but this is better than get one bang and then click when you need it!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
didnt notice you were in nj either. I just started using Federal tactical bonded ammo, Im not sure if that is still considered HP or not by NJ law. EFMJ is great, or even federal match grade ammo would be ok. Anything that is accurate and goes boom every time would work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts