HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Review: TBostic Gen 2 SL8 Conversion Block----pictures

I kind of prefer to call my conversion the SL36CQB...a hybird of a SL8 with G36 conversion in the G36CQB format

I figure since the SL8 block thread is approaching 20 pages, I would start a new thread on the latest TBostic SL8 block. Below is a link to the old thread.
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41370

This first picture show case the entire SL8 to G36 conversion. So you can see the progression from what it used to be to this latest upgrade.

Just arrived from the gun shop

Mid life upgrade: with SW parts

Notice the longer LOP with the SW stock conversion.

This is the remedy with a fused stock where a member of HKPro took the SW conversion stock and cut it in half and fused it back together to eliminate the folding feature but shorten the overall LOP and made it closer to the actual G36 profile.

Finally with SL36CQB using the TBostic Gen2 conversion block

Compare to the factory G36CQG

A few items of interest. I had a tier 1 defense industry machinist do the work on this conversion. He measured and measured to make sure everything will fit nice and tight. The only problem we ran into is the factory HK sling swivel pin which is a tad bit too short. The TBostic Gen 2 block is thicker to cover the receiver and it has an reinforced ear surrounding the hole for more strength. My machinist took about 1/100th off on both side on the reinforce ear and also a bit off the collar on the sling swivel pin to make the whole thing come together. The pin is super tight inside the receiver with the conversion block, I guess he could have made it a bit looser, but he figure it will loosen up in time.

This job actually took him about 2 hours to do since he was quit careful and did everything to as close of a tolerance as possible. I think this could be completed within an hour on a DIY. The biggest time consumption process was machining the reinforced ears and pin collar and also the actual cut of the receiver. He had to find spacers to secure the receiver in his mill and that took some time to get everything line up perfectly and the cut is uniformed on both side to 1000th of an inch.

The over all set up…

HK SL8---1500.00
Dye----DIY, cost of four bottle of Rite Dye from K-mart and some gas bill from boiling the water
G36CQB barrel conversion by LarryG36---150.00
G3 flash hider
KAC flip up front sight
KAC long rail with flip up 600m rear sight
KAC G36 rifle RAS
Surefire M961XM
TangoDown vertical grip
Cav Arms Rail ladder---Left over stock
G36C stock from Center Mass----100.00
G36 SEF trigger housing from HKPro member---100.00
EOTech 552
T-Bostic Gen 2 block----320.00

SW M16 mag conversion, SW stock conversion x 2 are some of the left over parts from previous conversion. I think I recover some of it by selling them on line but I probably lost close to 450.00

Total invested-----$2620.00 minus the cost of the KAC, Surefire and EOTech gear.

Stock folded view

Stock folded view from ejection port side, I will find out if the brass can be ejected with the stock closed, not that I would shoot the gun this way, but inquiry mind wants to know.

A closer view of the stock closed. Note the KAC 600m rear sight, with the TBostic block surrounding the receiver, the sight is elevated a bit. It actually made activating the rear sight that much faster.

A better view of the Gen2 block with the stock open.

A top view of the block. A small allen screw is all that is holding the block on the top.

Bottom view of the block vs. the trigger housing interface.

Stock folded, you can see the large allen screw that is securing the block to the trigger housing block that is lock into the trigger housing via the take down pin.

top view of the stock folded

Business end of the gun I call----SL36

G36CQB profile barrel with G3 flash hider.

with in the Kit, Tom also included a larger dia. pin to replace the sear pin in your G36 trigger group. a polymer plate that can be epoxy on to the opening on the side of the mag well, and also a small tab that can be tapped and secure on to the bolt held open device to make it functional. I will most likely epoxy the mag well plate into the gun but will forgo the bolt held open device.

Tom Bostic was a pleasure to work with and he kept me updated on the progress of the development. It was a true pleasure to work with a gentleman such as Tom and a big hoorah for taking up this task. A big thank you for a job well done.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for such a detailed summary.
The SL8/G36 conversions are looking better and better every day, especially yours.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice pics with great detail.Thanks I might be up for this next year.After I get through Christmas ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Smokin Chen, just smokin. You answered many of my questions about this set up. Thankyou.

Tom; you did it very well, texture is excellent and the color matches well. worth the wait.

Bill

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great looking conversion! Where can you get the Tbostic block?
Please contact Tom bostic at [email protected]

If I am not mistaken, tom is working wiht Tactical Excellence to get this product out tot he public and TE is supposed to do the conversion.

I think it is best to talk to Tom and he will explain it to you.

The Block with all the goodies cost 320.00, i am not sure if the price might have gone up with the gen2 design and all the extras included.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Please contact Tom bostic at [email protected]

If I am not mistaken, tom is working wiht Tactical Excellence to get this product out tot he public and TE is supposed to do the conversion.

I think it is best to talk to Tom and he will explain it to you.

The Block with all the goodies cost 320.00, i am not sure if the price might have gone up with the gen2 design and all the extras included.
Now if I (we?) could get Tom to make a G36 (or even an M16) magwell conversion I would be set to do it myself. IIRC, SW isn't making the M16 conversion anymore and I just couldn't do the conversion and still only have the 10rd mag.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HKFreak,

You know you can legally convert the SL8 mag well with the factory G36 mag well. As long as you have enough required US parts kit...
which it is not hard to accomplish.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the for the thread SMGLee. I have worked my behind off trying to make this as authentic and functional as I could. I over looked the fact that using a rear sing pin could be an issue, but it sounds like you took care of it . The take down pin retaining area on my new block is actual size of the G36 ones so with the side plates and still using the stock pin ,its actually made for the pin to be slightly recessed on the one side . I do also sell the USA made followers and floorplates for the G36 mags to keep you legal if your not SBR'd.Thanks again

·
Registered
366 Posts
HKFreak,

You know you can legally convert the SL8 mag well with the factory G36 mag well. As long as you have enough required US parts kit...
which it is not hard to accomplish.
No, I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
No, I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up.
Although it takes a fairly large number of US made parts to make the SL8 a non-import. IIRC, the SW magwell conversion required you to use US made AR mags, as well as have the SW stock/pistol grip, in addition to using the US made bolt and gas piston included with the magwell conversion to be legal. The US parts in a US made AR mag counted toward the parts count, so if you use G36 mags, you need even more US parts to compensate. It's easier to SBR the rifle and avoid the parts count hassle.

I've heard some people say that you can do a hi cap mag conversion without worrying about the parts count as long as you don't add the pistol grip and/or folding stock, but I'm not sure that's true.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have thought that perhaps taking an SL8 bolt and having the extra lug welded on would make it an American made part since it would now be built/re-manufactured here.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
538 Posts
By adding the G36 mag its adding 2 parts the follower and the floorplate ,and you can have your bolt head welded up easier and probably cheaper than finding and buying a G36 one and then you are not adding another imported part , And I sell the floorplates and followers , so you are in compliance at that point. If you can have the modified bolt head considered a USA part, then you can add the G36 stock then you just need one more for the lower, Jeff at TE still has USA sears I think then you can add the pistol grip. Or you can get the Tn kit with the trigger and sear. then you can change out the forearm as well . There are some options for the non SBR folks .

·
Registered
230 Posts
Now that is what I have been looking for. Nice job!

·
Registered
229 Posts
i am going to do a how to on installing tbostic's kit gen 1 and 2. i am also just finishing up the how to on fill the gap and the stock hold open.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A comparison picture with LMT MRP with 14.5 inch barrel and a Vortex G6a2 flash hider, Crane SOPMOD stock, AK74 with Tantal barrel and muzzle brake and AK74S folding stock, and a Steyr AUG A2

A few picture of the SL36 in action.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SMG Lee, nice photos. How do you like the G36c stock on that one? How's the LOP compared to other rifles, ie, AR and AK? AR A2 stock tend to be somewhat long LOP, and AK tend to be somewhat short LOP for me personally. Have you tried G36 standard stock for comparison? Also, have you tried G36c stock to see if shell casing can eject through folded G36c stock?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts