1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, the HK45 has a lock out device. It is accessible from inside the mag well and appears to be a block that prevents the hammer strut from being BLs to move. I have not dismantled the gun past field strip to know how itacrually works or if it can be removed

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
I'd like current HK 45 owners to clear something up for me. However, before I ask, I must say this: questions of this sort often, if not always, stir discussions about legitimacy of concerns, merits of this or that particular design, statistical chances of failure, sanity of a poster, personal beliefs and preferences etc.etc. I hope to avoid any and all of these discussions. As title says, this is a technical question, nothing more, nothing less.

With this in mind, does HK45 have an internal lock-out device? If yes, is it integral to frame or removable?

Again, please treat this question as a simple "knowledge base" type of question.

Thanks.
Integral to the frame, not removeable so far as I know. Are you really as "tepid" about guns or even "anti-gun" as you come across in your very first post in this forum? Or have I read you wrong?

Or, on the other hand, has someone in your life decided they want to purchase an HK45 and you are looking for reasons NOT to allow it?

Hey, if I'm wrong, you have my very sincere apologies; however, I just have this feeling . . .

(I didn't want to disappoint your stated theories about "such questions". ;))

·
Registered
392 Posts
Integral to the frame, not removeable so far as I know. Are you really as "tepid" about guns or even "anti-gun" as you come across in your very first post in this forum? Or have I read you wrong?

Or, on the other hand, has someone in your life decided they want to purchase an HK45 and you are looking for reasons NOT to allow it?

Hey, if I'm wrong, you have my very sincere apologies; however, I just have this feeling . . .

(I didn't want to disappoint your stated theories about "such questions". ;))
The whole topic of lockout devices is silly.

They are a stupid invention, but HK has done it right.....it's hidden, and if people would quit bringing them up, I could pretend they aren't there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If it's anything like the USP lockout device, it can be easily removed. All you need is a lockless mainspring housing. Having said that, I have never heard of a single instance of a USP lock malfunctioning. Looking at the design of the lock, I don't see how that would even be possible.

On a related note, does anyone know why some USPs come with internal locks and some don't? Is there any order to this?

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Diesel1959 states above that, unlike USP, the lock is integral to frame, not mainspring housing.

My understanding that H&K introduced it around year 2000, so older pistols don't have it. Perhaps, somebody with more knowledge would chime in.

And, yes, I've not been able to find a single report about H&K lock-out device malfunctioning or causing FTF.
No--I've been misunderstood. I did not mean to imply that it is NOT located near the mainspring housing. I consider that part of the frame as well. Sorry if my words led you astray.

I have no use for lockout devices.

EDIT: In order to be certain, I just took the backstrap off my HK45 to examine the weapon more closely. The lockout device IS contained within a small plastic piece that acts as the lower portion of the mainspring unit. This lower portion contains the mainspring and forces it to bear upwards toward the weapon's firing componentry. The small piece is held in place by a small metal pin--shorter than the pin which holds the backstrap in place. Both of these pins pass through two parallel fins on the lower portion of the grip frame. There is a rod that passes through the mainspring and which keeps it acting in a straight line. I presume that as one attempts to cock the hammer, the rod also moves down as the spring compresses; however, the lock--should it be activated--would block the downward movement of the rod, thus preventing the hammer from being cocked. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My understanding that H&K introduced it around year 2000, so older pistols don't have it. Perhaps, somebody with more knowledge would chime in.
My dad's 2005 USP45 does not have the lock, while my 2002 USP9 does. Clearly, not all post-2000 USPs come with that feature.

EDIT: In order to be certain, I just took the backstrap off my HK45 to examine the weapon more closely. The lockout device IS contained within a small plastic piece that acts as the lower portion of the mainspring unit. This lower portion contains the mainspring and forces it to bear upwards toward the weapon's firing componentry. The small piece is held in place by a small metal pin--shorter than the pin which holds the backstrap in place.
This sounds very much like the [removable] lockout device on the USP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts