HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me what is different between the usp45t, the mk23, and the socom. And please put it in stupid terms if possible.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The USP45T is a USP45 base gun with the following upgrades:

-Threaded barrel
-Match trigger with an overtravel stop
-Raised adjustable sights

I'll let the Mk23 experts chime in about that pistol as my only experience is holding one. It is frekin huge.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The MK23 and the SOCOM are the same pistol, the civilian version of the MK23 is the Mark 23. Civilians cannot buy the MK23 SOCOM as it is government issue only. The main difference between the two are the rollmarkings on the slide, and I believe the MK23's barrel has a slightly tighter fit for the bullet. The MK23 was developed meet certain requirements for a offensive handgun weapon system(OHWS)for Special Operations COMmand (SOCOM), which it beat out S&W. It was developed in conjunction with the lam unit and silencer and was delivered as a package. The civ model Mark 23 was and is not sold as the package,though you can get them separately.
The USP is a completely separate pistol both internally and externally, but was developed from the MK23 program. The USP is shorter, though has about the same grip circumference. The threaded barrels on the USP and the Mark are also threaded opposite directions than each other. The barrel on the USP is also shorter. There is a great thread showing a comparo here http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...3-vs-usp-tactical-45-hd-video-comparison.html

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think it was Colt, not S&W that HK beat in the SOCOM competition. And while civilians can't buy a new one with MK23 USSOCOM on the slide, there were some (apparently just a few) early models with these military markings that found their way into civilians hands. I came across one of these on a German gun shop's web site a while back, but when I contacted them, I was told that it had been sold the week before (sigh!).

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think it was Colt, not S&W that HK beat in the SOCOM competition. And while civilians can't buy a new one with MK23 USSOCOM on the slide, there were some (apparently just a few) early models with these military markings that found their way into civilians hands. I came across one of these on a German gun shop's web site a while back, but when I contacted them, I was told that it had been sold the week before (sigh!).
Correct - It was HK and Colt in the SOCOM OHWS competition. Colts gun and suppressor were developed by KAC.

The USP45T was developed to adress the needs of units that wanted most of the capabilities of the MK23 but in a smaller lighter package. The USP45T is what the MK23 should have been but the SOCOM specs drove it to that larger size and redundant controls. Had the USP45T or newer HK45T been selected it is likley that they would still be in wide use within SOCOM. But what if's don't write history do they?
G3Kurz

·
Registered
380 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think it was Colt, not S&W that HK beat in the SOCOM competition
That's what I meant. Now I feel stupid, but I guess brain farts happen when editing posts at 11:30 after being at work at 7:30 that morning.
That would have been sweet to have gotten the Mk23 marked pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So then do the mark 23 say socom on them I just saw one at a gun shop and I have seen mk23 but never noticed them saying socom

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
So then do the mark 23 say socom on them I just saw one at a gun shop and I have seen mk23 but never noticed them saying socom
The Mark 23 (Civilian) says Mark 23 on the slide.

The MK23 (Military) says MK23 SOCOM on the slide.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Actually the military version says HK MK23 USSOCOM Cal. .45

The civilian versions have HK MARK 23 Cal. .45 Auto

Some early civilian versions had Mark 23 instead of MARK 23

·
Registered
380 Posts
I assume its because they are discontinued, and have been going on 2 years. People know the supply of NIB is diminishing, so some places are jacking the price up. My NIB one was $1824 shipped in February. Several places had them during the same time for 2100-2300. Same online shop I got mine from has gone up $70. A well kept, low count used one will run from 1600-1750, or so I've seen, which is why I jumped on mine when I did.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just saw one for 1250 nib which is way low for a mk23 so I have to ask again why is it so low. Now keep this in mind I have held this gun in my hand so it's not a scam. Why the price differance??...

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or answer this before buying this just so I can make sure a duck is a duck. Markings on the slide say MARK 23 smooth decock with separate safety. What else should I look for?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Someone might think its a USP tactical???
For that price jump on it. I thought you meant 1800-2300 for NIB ones on the internet.

As far as what to look for, really the only major change that has occurred on the Mark 23 is the top coat of the finish. It used to be a glossy "maritime" finish, now it resembles what is on USPs. Is it at a gun store? or is it a private seller who has never shot it? On AR forums not too long ago, a guy had the Wilcox LAM unit laser section(closely resembles prototype Mk23 Lam unit) that used to belong to his son, sold it for $200.00 to a guy on HKPro, keep in mind, the laser and light unit(which are separate) run about $1500-2000 used, so it may just be somebody who doen't know what they have.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jham thanks for the info once I get my hands on it I will tell you more but I have held it it is brand new and he should know its value thats the head scratcher. Why would he want 5-600 less than EVERYone else.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
$1250.00??!! I'd be all over it...seriously, if you've got the cash...

·
Registered
380 Posts
That's a helluva deal, no clue why he's selling so cheap. If you can, jump on it. Beat up used don't normally go for that low. Out of curiosity, does he actually own the gun? Or did he meet you in a back alley??? Kidding of course.

Get it if you can man, great deal. You could get it, shoot it, and sell it and make a decent profit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts