HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had a nickel for everytime I have heard that ignorant statement...

Anyway, I have very easily concealed my full size 1911's and now (finally!) my full size stainless HK USP45 in good quality Galco pancake holsters for years, but apparently the stupid 'too big to conceal' mentality has affected my local holster market. I am looking for recommendations from those who have owned and used a good, non-collapsible leather IWB for a Full Size USP 45. I have found a bunch made for the compact models, but none for the fs. Now I am using an Uncle Mike's $9.99 Size 5 (made of felt?) IWB holster, but I'm afraid if I got bumped too hard or somehow slipped on a banana peel or something, my pistol would go flying. I know there are offerings on the web, but I am super sketchy of web purchases for equipment my wife and my lives depend on. If I can't try it out myself, hopefully someone out there can recommend a good one they've actually used. Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is a pretty generic recommendation but I have been using an MTAC for quite some time and it's been great. The turn around time is only a few days. Other great IWB options for the full sized USP45 are the crossbreed (will take a month or so to be delivered), Tommy Theis holsters (also a months wait but about half the cost and high quality), or the VM2 (6 months wait!). A nice feature of the MTAC is that you can get additional kydex shells for different guns that can easily be switched out. I have shells for the full sized 45/45c, P30, P2000sk, and the Glock slide (fits all 9mm, .40, and 357 Glock's). All have been very comfortable, secure, durable, reliable, and very easy on the gun's finish. These are all hybrid holsters besides the VM2. Best of luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Whoever said that (thread's title) should be open-hand-slapped. High functioning stupid is what that comment exudes. Here's a P30 with my tightest, dbag tshirt.

I used to prefer Milt Sparks' stuff but have since converted entirely to TT Gunleather. TT is IMO far superior in design. More cant, to hide grip, and sits much lower the waistband. Good comparison below of TT v Milt Sparks. (not my pic)

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I had a nickel for everytime I have heard that ignorant statement...

Anyway, I have very easily concealed my full size 1911's and now (finally!) my full size stainless HK USP45 in good quality Galco pancake holsters for years, but apparently the stupid 'too big to conceal' mentality has affected my local holster market. I am looking for recommendations from those who have owned and used a good, non-collapsible leather IWB for a Full Size USP 45. I have found a bunch made for the compact models, but none for the fs. Now I am using an Uncle Mike's $9.99 Size 5 (made of felt?) IWB holster, but I'm afraid if I got bumped too hard or somehow slipped on a banana peel or something, my pistol would go flying. I know there are offerings on the web, but I am super sketchy of web purchases for equipment my wife and my lives depend on. If I can't try it out myself, hopefully someone out there can recommend a good one they've actually used. Thanks.
My daily CCW is a USPf .45 Tactical carried in a Fist leather IWB holster.

Here's what it looks like inside the holster:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gee, I wish someone had told me this sooner. I'm feeling kind of dumb now since I've been carrying my handguns the wrong way (IWB) for the last forty years! :)

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should clarify

Gee, I wish someone had told me this sooner. I'm feeling kind of dumb now since I've been carrying my handguns the wrong way (IWB) for the last forty years! :)
Sorry guys... I should clarify - that stupid statement I quoted was always directed at the USP itself, not the IWB carry method. I had shopped/searched for the stainless version of the full size USP 45 at many shops and a few gunshows before my wife finally foiund and got me one this Christmas. I was told over and over by different sales folks that the HK USP in Full Size was a very bad choice for concealed carry, regardless of method, because it is a "very big, bulky handgun". Then they would try to sell me a compact version... Well, when I need a compact pistol, I have my Kahr PM9.

This idiotic comment always made me laugh to myself as I stood in front of them with my perfectly concealed full size Kimber or Colt 1911. I'm a lean 6' 165 lb. guy and have easily concealed "big, bulky" full sized 1911's since 1995 and have had no trouble concealing my USP 45fs for the past three months I've had it either, but in an outside of the pants Galco pancake rig. I know the IWB is even deeper concealment - I just couldn't find one anywhere to try out in person that fit a fs USP, but there's a surplus available for the compact versions.

I'm a musician as well as an avid shooter and over the years I have found music store employees and gun store employees (with a few exceptions) to be some of the most ignorant, opinionated folks I've ever met.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I like this thread. I am going to attempt to carry my HK45c this summer and this thread is inspiring to me. If you guys can conceal those full size beast's I should be able to carry my HK45c this summer. And to the OP, CBST is awesome. I am grabbing one off of a member on here next week. Hopefully I can conceal my .45c as well as my old P2k.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Whoever said that (thread's title) should be open-hand-slapped. High functioning stupid is what that comment exudes. Here's a P30 with my tightest, dbag tshirt.

I used to prefer Milt Sparks' stuff but have since converted entirely to TT Gunleather. TT is IMO far superior in design. More cant, to hide grip, and sits much lower the waistband. Good comparison below of TT v Milt Sparks. (not my pic)

What P30? :wink:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Also, people tend to forget that IWB isn't the only way to conceal. Shoulder hoisters are a great option for larger guns. And even smaller framed individuals can conceal a full size weapon this way. Shoulder holsters probably aren't ideal for summer carry, but winter and fall.. I've found it far more comfortable in the past.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Crossbreed super tuck for me and my USP FS 45 disappears. Very comfortable and reasonably priced. Also, they have a 30 day guarantee and you can send it back for a full refund. Mark is extremely nice and helpful on the site. I can't see buying any other brand for the time being...I have finally found something to stop the growing "shoe box" of holsters!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry guys... I should clarify - that stupid statement I quoted was always directed at the USP itself, not the IWB carry method. I had shopped/searched for the stainless version of the full size USP 45 at many shops and a few gunshows before my wife finally foiund and got me one this Christmas. I was told over and over by different sales folks that the HK USP in Full Size was a very bad choice for concealed carry, regardless of method, because it is a "very big, bulky handgun". Then they would try to sell me a compact version... Well, when I need a compact pistol, I have my Kahr PM9.

This idiotic comment always made me laugh to myself as I stood in front of them with my perfectly concealed full size Kimber or Colt 1911. I'm a lean 6' 165 lb. guy and have easily concealed "big, bulky" full sized 1911's since 1995 and have had no trouble concealing my USP 45fs for the past three months I've had it either, but in an outside of the pants Galco pancake rig. I know the IWB is even deeper concealment - I just couldn't find one anywhere to try out in person that fit a fs USP, but there's a surplus available for the compact versions.

I'm a musician as well as an avid shooter and over the years I have found music store employees and gun store employees (with a few exceptions) to be some of the most ignorant, opinionated folks I've ever met.
It holds true either way, amigo. For many years I carried a .38 Super Colt Lightweight Commander IWB which, as I'm sure everyone knows, shares the same frame and grip length as the Government Model. No problem at all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can anyone give me the direct link to that exactly mike's special TT gun leather holster that is being compared to the versa max? I went on their website but there are a bunch of them and i want to make sure i choose the right one! is it a long turn around time for shipping?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can anyone give me the direct link to that exactly mike's special TT gun leather holster that is being compared to the versa max? I went on their website but there are a bunch of them and i want to make sure i choose the right one! is it a long turn around time for shipping?
Here's the one from the picture:
http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/i65.html

And a slim version (no reinforcement)

http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/i67.html

Reinforced v. slim (from Tim's site):

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My daily carry is a P7 in a Del Fatti rig, but on occasion I'll hit the range and carry My HK45c in an MTAC holster. Not a full-size USP, but it conceals extremely well and is very comfortable. Dare I say, more comfy than my Del Fatti??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haha! I love it. I'm in the same boat with the Uncle Mike's #5. I haven't found a holster to drop my loot on yet. But I'm really close to ordering one from Garrity's Gun Leather. He makes some good lookin iwb holsters. Check them out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts