HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went and shot my new VP9 and the target was, how can I put it, terrible....

Little background, I've been shooting for about 15 years, almost exclusively Glocks with a 1911 thrown in there. I've been in law enforcement for just under 5 years, and have been practicing/shooting the state qualifications without issue for over 6. I have probably close to 15k rounds through my two Glock 17s both with night sights.

I have never even come close to failing a state qualification which includes some give-me shots at 3 yards, some more give-me shots at 5 yards, couple shots from 7 yards, shooting from behind barriers at 15 yards, and then 4 shots from 25 yards.

If I had shot that same qualification today with the VP9 I very well may have failed.

Gun feels fantastic in my hand, I had a good grip, felt like my sight alignment was good, so I'm at a loss. I should have taken photos of the target, because it was really confusing. From 10 yards I was putting 5 rounds into a 2" circle, then I would wing one about 6" high, next one was 4" low and to the right, then I'd put the next one dead center with my first great grouping. I know I'm not limp wristing it, don't feel like I'm anticipating my shots/breaking wrist up/down, I really think it's related to the sights/my sight alignment.

Is there anything I should know about shooting an HK vs other pistols? Or, perhaps, I just had a very, very off day of shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Send it back and get a USP, Kidding. Sorry to hear that. Maybe try from a bench rest and see if you are getting the same results. Could just be new gun jitters or a bad lockup on the barrel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I shoot my VP9 better and more accurately than any other gun I own. I don't own any Glocks. Mostly Springfields & Beretta's.

Maybe just an off day. I have days I cant hit anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Send it back and get a USP, Kidding. Sorry to hear that. Maybe try from a bench rest and see if you are getting the same results. Could just be new gun jitters or a bad lockup on the barrel?
Bench rest is a good idea. I took it apart before and after, everything looks fine, nothing feels loose, etc..
I didn't really suspect an issue with the gun though, it's got to be something I'm doing wrong/differently..

I shoot my VP9 better and more accurately than any other gun I own. I don't own any Glocks. Mostly Springfields & Beretta's.

Maybe just an off day. I have days I cant hit anything.
I hope it's just an off day! I should have brought my Glock too so I could compare.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Think of your shooting procedure like a golf swing or hitting a baseball or bowling a strike. If your shots start to fly, set gun down, back up and then reset everything... stance, grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze ..etc. this way you may be able to catch that small error your making instead of trying to over correct the wrong thing. If you get a flyer in different areas it's usually that . If the fliers are in one specific area, then use the common handgun errors chart. Keep target close until you figure out what your doing wrong mechanically, moving it in and out only makes solving the problem harder. Hope this helps-E

·
Registered
49 Posts
Think of your shooting procedure like a golf swing or hitting a baseball or bowling a strike. If your shots start to fly, set gun down, back up and then reset everything... stance, grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze ..etc... -E
Excellent advise!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think of your shooting procedure like a golf swing or hitting a baseball or bowling a strike. If your shots start to fly, set gun down, back up and then reset everything... stance, grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze ..etc. this way you may be able to catch that small error your making instead of trying to over correct the wrong thing. If you get a flyer in different areas it's usually that . If the fliers are in one specific area, then use the common handgun errors chart. Keep target close until you figure out what your doing wrong mechanically, moving it in and out only makes solving the problem harder. Hope this helps-E
That is excellent advise, thanks!

I'll regroup and head back to the range on Monday :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I think you may have solved a large part of my issue! I was going with #2 in that diagram for most of my shooting..

That, combined with the advice above of simply walking away and resetting should solve my issues :)
Keep us updated--- and practice is the best of all instructors!!! :wink:

Tony

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,739 Posts
I know that GR was kidding, but I used to own Glocks and shot them well.

I switched over to USP's. Shot those AS WELL or better than I used to shoot my Glocks. I sold all of those a few years ago.

Consider going to the range and rent a USP - I would suggest a compact, but either that or a full size. YOU will find that you shoot them well.

just sayin...

Reactions: GuntherRommel

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I switched over to USP's. Shot those AS WELL or better than I used to shoot my Glocks. I sold all of those a few years ago.

Consider going to the range and rent a USP - I would suggest a compact, but either that or a full size. YOU will find that you shoot them well.

just sayin...
The reason I was able to convince myself to buy the VP9 was that it may very well become my duty weapon and replace the Glock. Getting/shooting a USP wouldn't do me much good, because I don't want to carry a hand cannon on my hip every day :)

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,739 Posts
A couple of things. You switched from Glock to HK. Understandable.

I'm suggesting that you try a different HK. The one that is closet to the Glock in over all build. And you would only rent one. That USPC is my EDC in either 40 or 357 sig.

If you find that it's the HK you should have purchased, chances are high that you won't lose much in selling the one you just purchased.

Just TRY the USPC in your choice of caliber. You may find that while you like the the VP9 that fits your hand better, BUT you shoot the USPC better?

I'm just saying you should carry the firearm you shoot the best.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than a frustrating day at the range. I call my VP9 a gun that I "can't" miss with. Don't give up on it. Do you still have the factory sights on it? If I can remember right, it's in the manual that the HK is POA/POI and is set at the factory from 25yards. Sight pic #2 is the one I always use. Sometimes it's good to let someone else shoot your gun to see how they do with it. That can help determine if it's a problem with the gun or something that the shooter may be doing wrong. I'm interested in hearing how it goes after your range trip on Monday. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts

just sayin...
The reason I was able to convince myself to buy the VP9 was that it may very well become my duty weapon and replace the Glock. Getting/shooting a USP wouldn't do me much good, because I don't want to carry a hand cannon on my hip every day :)
True... the USP (even in compact) is a bit of a cannon.

But it’s an accurate cannon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A couple of things. You switched from Glock to HK. Understandable.

I'm suggesting that you try a different HK. The one that is closet to the Glock in over all build. And you would only rent one. That USPC is my EDC in either 40 or 357 sig.

If you find that it's the HK you should have purchased, chances are high that you won't lose much in selling the one you just purchased.

Just TRY the USPC in your choice of caliber. You may find that while you like the the VP9 that fits your hand better, BUT you shoot the USPC better?

I'm just saying you should carry the firearm you shoot the best.
I'll try another just to try it, but I can't imagine getting rid of the VP9 for a USP at this point, as I'm sure it's more of an issue on my end than the firearm itself.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than a frustrating day at the range. I call my VP9 a gun that I "can't" miss with. Don't give up on it. Do you still have the factory sights on it? If I can remember right, it's in the manual that the HK is POA/POI and is set at the factory from 25yards. Sight pic #2 is the one I always use. Sometimes it's good to let someone else shoot your gun to see how they do with it. That can help determine if it's a problem with the gun or something that the shooter may be doing wrong. I'm interested in hearing how it goes after your range trip on Monday. Good luck.
Also a good idea, I'll have to give it to a friend to try out and see if we're both having the same issues. We both own and shoot the same Gen 5 G17 with night sights so it should be interesting.

Mine has the night sights installed from the factory.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting. I was set on VP9 as the gun, and then i tried shooting it. Could not hit anything. It feels jumpy and sights are harder to center.
With the smallest glocks i could make groups at least.
This is the reason i gave up on VP9, and started looking at USP line.
(And the looks of course -VP9 is bulky and looks like a gun for a battlefield, not suburban occassional carry.)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Heyas Ryan!
Yeah, after seeing the other two guns that you're used to shooting, I was also going to recommend the sight picture 3 as well.
It might also be the ammo you were using. I've been pretty much using Blazer Brass 124 gr exclusively lately, because I got a really good deal on a bulk buy. I swear I get at least 1 or 2 flyers from EVERY mag with that stuff.
It could also be that you're not used to the break point, and/or the reset yet. When I first started shooting my VP9's (I hadn't shot strikers for well over 10 years before that) I had a problem with riding the reset until I got my fingers trained for it. You may be having an issue with expecting at the wrong time. Or falling into the pattern of expecting from your other guns.

It will get better :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting. I was set on VP9 as the gun, and then i tried shooting it. Could not hit anything. It feels jumpy and sights are harder to center.
With the smallest glocks i could make groups at least.
This is the reason i gave up on VP9, and started looking at USP line.
(And the looks of course -VP9 is bulky and looks like a gun for a battlefield, not suburban occassional carry.)
I agree that the sights do seem harder to center, I'm not sure if it's because I'm so used to the Glock or if the sights are "different" somehow, but I'm really hoping it's something that just requires a little more time and acclimation. The VP9 fits my hands better, and I feel like it moves less in my hand likely due to the better hand fitment, so my bad target is even more frustrating.

Heyas Ryan!
Yeah, after seeing the other two guns that you're used to shooting, I was also going to recommend the sight picture 3 as well.
It might also be the ammo you were using. I've been pretty much using Blazer Brass 124 gr exclusively lately, because I got a really good deal on a bulk buy. I swear I get at least 1 or 2 flyers from EVERY mag with that stuff.
It could also be that you're not used to the break point, and/or the reset yet. When I first started shooting my VP9's (I hadn't shot strikers for well over 10 years before that) I had a problem with riding the reset until I got my fingers trained for it. You may be having an issue with expecting at the wrong time. Or falling into the pattern of expecting from your other guns.

It will get better :)
I think you may also be onto something about the ammo, I used Winchester which the gun may not agree entirely with. I was taking time, learning the reset so I don't think it was that, but perhaps it is the breakpoint as well.

Overall, I'm not worried, I'm betting it's a combination of many things:

New gun, new sight picture, new "style" compared to my Glock (different grips, etc), sleep deprivation, rushing things, possibly ammo contributed, and most likely of all, just a bad day at the range :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts