HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spend most of my time in Seattle, but have to work in TX for about 6 months...first day today carrying my P30 and holy smokes that stippling is rough! I never noticed it in Seattle because the weather almost always allows for an undershirt, but it's so hot here that it's gun on raw skin. Even with a crossbreed super tuck, a small bit of the grip bit me all day...I can tell you this, its making me look for a p2000 for the grip alone!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also live in Seattle, but this is irrelavent. My USP on bare skin is killer and left a huge callous that was hard as a rock on my side for a good month. This was after a few hours of open carry with no shirt. The grip is awesome on your palms, but killer on your sides.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Some folks have put mole skin, or sanded the panels down to alleviate the rubbing. Others use various undershirt configurations. And lastly there is the HK45C and the P2000 platform.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice, I've gotta do something about it but found out today that I can't buy a gun anywhere but WA. Didn't realize that...really pissed me off because I really like that p2000!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Do a search here for what Apollo mentioned about being sanding it down. To take the edge off it usually only takes a light swipe, maybe two, of fine sandpaper. Then you can put a dye such as Forever Black on it and it looks as good as new. There's some posts about that on here with a DIY follow-along and pictures.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Or maybe wear it differently? I wear my P30L all day long at 6 o'clock IWB and get none of the abrasion others have had problems with.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This is one of the reasons I got a P2000. It's very comfortable to carry IMO.

I personally think the P2000 is essentially the carry version P30 :). I own one in 9mm and one in 40SW and I love them both. If you want an excuse to buy one you have my blessing.:wink:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A while back I saw a forum in which a guy carried a glock 23 IWB and had Talon grips on it. He was bleeding by the end of the day...

Wish I could find the old thread lol

-DBLAction454

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome to Texas (I'm in Dallas Ft. Worth area). I can't disagree with you that it's pretty warm down here but we haven't even started to hit the 100+ temps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes very hot in TX, and down here with the humidity you'll be sweating pretty quick with 2 shirts. Best solution is a a-frame t shirt underneath my normal t shirt...doesn't add much heat. I actually wear one whether I'm carrying my P7 or P30.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Or maybe wear it differently? I wear my P30L all day long at 6 o'clock IWB and get none of the abrasion others have had problems with.
I carry my P30 the same way here in GA and with our heat and humidity I never have a problem with it digging into my back. The only time I feel the stippling is when I'm in the car and it's pressed against the seat, and I just lift my shirt up and put it between me and the grip, then cover it back up when I get out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is smart not only for the comfort but also because you would have a harder time getting your gun out if you were sitting on your shirt and belted in.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Good advice, I've gotta do something about it but found out today that I can't buy a gun anywhere but WA. Didn't realize that...really pissed me off because I really like that p2000!
I don't know about TX, but a WA resident can buy guns in New Mexico. My wife has bought 3 here and she is a WA resident.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Was wearing a P30 daily earlier this year in a Crossbreed also. At first the texture would rub, but after a while it didn't bother me anymore. Skin wasn't raw either, and I don't wear undershirts. I switched to a HK45C though since it is shorter in the grip. No worries at all.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I don't know about TX, but a WA resident can buy guns in New Mexico. My wife has bought 3 here and she is a WA resident.
If she's also a resident of NM she can. Otherwise...uhhhhh.....not handguns! You may want to keep that on the down-low, because federal law says you're not allowed to transfer handguns to a non-resident. NM vs TX vs WA has nothing to do with it, it's a federal law.

Given that we're in the handguns sub-forum, and talking about purchasing a handgun, I'm going to assume you're talking about your wife purchasing handguns.

Long guns are treated differently by law than handguns, and that would be legal.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If she's also a resident of NM she can. Otherwise...uhhhhh.....not handguns! You may want to keep that on the down-low, because federal law says you're not allowed to transfer handguns to a non-resident. NM vs TX vs WA has nothing to do with it, it's a federal law.

Given that we're in the handguns sub-forum, and talking about purchasing a handgun, I'm going to assume you're talking about your wife purchasing handguns.

Long guns are treated differently by law than handguns, and that would be legal.
I didn't even think about the relevance of Handgun vs Long Gun. All the ones she has bought here have been long guns.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Best solution is a a-frame t shirt underneath my normal t shirt...doesn't add much heat.
This^... AKA "wifebeater".

I'm next door in Louisiana, and if anything its even more miserably hot & humid here. But a wifebeater under a light cotton shirt makes IWB carry tolerable, abrasive grip or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts