HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my rifle back from Ghilliebear and I am very happy with it. Pictures here. First off this is my first roller lock style rifle, my background is mainly collecting AK rifles. I overlooked these rifles mainly because they came from Century and my past experience with them as been less than stellar. It wasn't until I discovered this forum and the work of Ghilliebear that I became interested. As soon as I got the rifle, I contacted Ghilliebear and he took his time explaining what all needed to be done and what parts I would need and from where. What really shocked me was his turn around time, when it was all said and done it was just a week and a half from the time I sent him the rifle and parts to the time it came back to me. This included swapping barrels, mag paddle install, total refinish, welding on the receiver and various other things. I am used to waiting at least two months or more for any kind of gunsmith work so this to me is a pleasant change. Thank you again Jeff, this will be a nice shooter.

·
Vendor
6,899 Posts
You are welcome Sir. but I am the one that should be thanking you for allowing me to repair your rifle. When these rifles are properly built or fixed they will make good shooters for years to come. I enjoy these firearms as much as everyone I guess I could say I have the sickness to lol.. If these weapons would be built right the first time they would been a great buy but still for the price of the weapon and the proper repairs your into the weapon under $1000 easily so this still makes it a great shooter and sear host.
But again thank you sir for allowing a to work a firearm.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Nice. be sure to give us range reports!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Never cease to be amazed by Jeff's customer service.

I have never read anything but praise for his work, yet always humble and willing to spend time for folks, even if not being paid for it. Fine job sir.

Another C93 saved.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Never cease to be amazed by Jeff's customer service.

I have never read anything but praise for his work, yet always humble and willing to spend time for folks, even if not being paid for it. Fine job sir.

Another C93 saved.
I like that-----"Another C-93 Saved"

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
First, welcome to the forum "sgt_bilko". I'm kind of in the same place as you were. But I am an AR guy originally. Part of what has kept me away from a roller locked 5.56X45 gun is the mags. I've got piles of AR mags. I did buy a C93. With only one mag, I've put around 100-200 rds through it. I had to put over sized rollers in it to start. It hasn't lost any bolt gap yet, but that isn't many rounds.

I'm on the fence about which direction to go in. Should I have Jeff do the same treatment to my C93, or should I have him build me a complete rifle from a parts set using a SW93 AR receiver and some other US parts, so I can use AR mags? I think that converting the C93 to AR mags would be the most time and money. Congratulations on your Ghillie converted C93. Please give us a range report.

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill post a range report this upcoming weekend if the weather permits. Im already planning on sending the trigger pack to Bill Springfield in the near future. Also thinking about picking up a slim handguard from robertrtg.com.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
First, welcome to the forum "sgt_bilko". I'm kind of in the same place as you were. But I am an AR guy originally. Part of what has kept me away from a roller locked 5.56X45 gun is the mags. I've got piles of AR mags. I did buy a C93. With only one mag, I've put around 100-200 rds through it. I had to put over sized rollers in it to start. It hasn't lost any bolt gap yet, but that isn't many rounds.

I'm on the fence about which direction to go in. Should I have Jeff do the same treatment to my C93, or should I have him build me a complete rifle from a parts set using a SW93 AR receiver and some other US parts, so I can use AR mags? I think that converting the C93 to AR mags would be the most time and money. Congratulations on your Ghillie converted C93. Please give us a range report.

Scott
Talk to Ghillie on the phone. I wanted to do the same but he convinced me that the AR15 mag route was not the way to go.. they have to be fitted to the specific gun. I believe him on this,, so unless you want a shooter and a pack of AR15 mags fitted to it.. that may not fit any other AR15 mags you come upon..well you gotta choose what makes sense for you

BTW MKE US made HK 93 poly mags can be had for less than $29 each

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Ill post a range report this upcoming weekend if the weather permits. Im already planning on sending the trigger pack to Bill Springfield in the near future. Also thinking about picking up a slim handguard from robertrtg.com.
Were me I would vet that baby out first with a few serious range trips to get her sorted out, and then send the trigger pack to Bill. Isolate the possible issues and get her perking right, one thing at a time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were me I would vet that baby out first with a few serious range trips to get her sorted out, and then send the trigger pack to Bill. Isolate the possible issues and get her perking right, one thing at a time
Thats more than likely what I will end up doing. Also this wont be for a while but I noticed some folks have welded picatinny rails to their rifles, any opinions on this?
I would like to add an acog eventually and wanted the lowest mount setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Scott
Thank you for the warm welcome. Whatever choice you make Ghilliebear will hook you up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So...I will be picking up my C93 next week. Does Ghilliebear do a "check and fix" type service? I hate going out to the range and wasting money on ammo, gas and range fees just to find out there are issues. Also, Although I have owned two other Century Roller-lock type guns in the past (CETMEs that had issues) and my skill with measuring bolt gap and adjusting rollers is weak, it would be nice to start with a known good example. I wish I had know about Ghilliebear 8 years ago when I had them.

I'll have to call or email him when I get the C93. Really wanted a HK93 but unfortunely with family expenses the C93 is all I can do right now.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Thats more than likely what I will end up doing. Also this wont be for a while but I noticed some folks have welded picatinny rails to their rifles, any opinions on this?
I would like to add an acog eventually and wanted the lowest mount setup.
It's just me but I prefer the HK claws to a welded rail.. looks more original and makes easy R & R for different optics with a return to zero

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks more original? OK. Returns to zero better than a welded rail with Larue, ADM, or ARMS mounts? I'd bet the farm it doesn't.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
So...I will be picking up my C93 next week. Does Ghilliebear do a "check and fix" type service? I hate going out to the range and wasting money on ammo, gas and range fees just to find out there are issues. Also, Although I have owned two other Century Roller-lock type guns in the past (CETMEs that had issues) and my skill with measuring bolt gap and adjusting rollers is weak, it would be nice to start with a known good example. I wish I had know about Ghilliebear 8 years ago when I had them.

I'll have to call or email him when I get the C93. Really wanted a HK93 but unfortunely with family expenses the C93 is all I can do right now.
First welcome to the forum. As with most everything, if someone pays a professional to do something they could do for themselves, they will pay much more to have that work done than doing it themselves. I'm sure you could send the rifle off the Jeff and get the same package price. But who knows, clean your new rifle, check the bolt gap (there are tutorials) and install some bigger rollers, if needed, and the gun might hold the bolt gap. So far, mine has. Although I only have a couple of hundred rounds through it.

Only Jeff can speak of what he would or wouldn't do. You knew what you would most likely get, from your previous experience with Century. There are many threads here bemoaning the fact that there is usually an issue with the C93 barrel/bolt gap. So more than likely your new rifle will be like the others in the posts. I wouldn't think Jeff would have the time to take your rifle and break it in, to see if the bolt gap changes. He would pull the barrel and install a new Rim Country barrel. Then he'd check function and send it back. Of course that service will cost most of what was just spent on the rifle. But that is your call. I'm sure no one here will argue that Century should build them right the first time. But they don't. So try it out and hope for the best, or send it direct to Jeff with a RCM barrel. Either way, I do sincerely wish you luck with your new C93.

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update: I managed to run 300 rounds on saturday both brass and steel case to check for any issues. I was pleased to see that it ran like a champ. I havent purchased a sight tool yet so it was mainly a function/ plinking session but I was knocking gatorade bottles down aproximately 75 yards away with no problem. About the hk claw mounts, will these work on c93's? I heard there might be issues with out of spec receivers. Also I typically use tetra gun grease on my rifles, will that be fine for the c93 or should I just stick with oil? Thanks

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
For a couple dollars at most major gun shows, you can pick up a set of smaller hemostats that IMO work as good or better than the factory sight tool to adjust elevation (have both and still use the hemostats). For windage you just need a Phillips screw driver. Check HK Notes and Accessories Note probably best to set point of impact at 100 yards an inch and a half to two inches high, then check at 200 yards / meters to fine tune the "2" sight hole using NATO spec 55gr ball.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Quick update: I managed to run 300 rounds on saturday both brass and steel case to check for any issues. I was pleased to see that it ran like a champ. I havent purchased a sight tool yet so it was mainly a function/ plinking session but I was knocking gatorade bottles down aproximately 75 yards away with no problem. About the hk claw mounts, will these work on c93's? I heard there might be issues with out of spec receivers. Also I typically use tetra gun grease on my rifles, will that be fine for the c93 or should I just stick with oil? Thanks
Sure it will work but I use synthetic motor oil for most of my lube needs

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The receivers on the century rifles may NOT be compatible with the german claw mount. You may have to play with the cir clips and shimming. There are many after market mounts, try and find a B-Square HK mount, about $45 give or take. They are more universal and can be BLUE loctited. They also have see thru for Iron sights like the claw does. let us know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts