HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gees.

My PTR 91 is now officially got me stymied.

The bolt gap for some time now has been .009" No problem according to the manufacturer.

Tonight I measure it, and it is slightly tighter on one end of the gap than on the other, which suggests that the trunnion may be wearing faster on one side than the other.

Mind you this is not something susceptible to measurement with the feeler gages, it is just that on the right of the bolt/bolt carrier gap the fit has more drag than on the left, signifying to me at least that the gap is tighter on that side.

Am I becoming obsessed with this issue? I read where fellas with bolt gap issues are having stocks come apart and separate, and all sorts of other issues which I would sooner avoid.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Gees.

My PTR 91 is now officially got me stymied.

The bolt gap for some time now has been .009" No problem according to the manufacturer.

Tonight I measure it, and it is slightly tighter on one end of the gap than on the other, which suggests that the trunnion may be wearing faster on one side than the other.

Mind you this is not something susceptible to measurement with the feeler gages, it is just that on the right of the bolt/bolt carrier gap the fit has more drag than on the left, signifying to me at least that the gap is tighter on that side.

Am I becoming obsessed with this issue? I read where fellas with bolt gap issues are having stocks come apart and separate, and all sorts of other issues which I would sooner avoid.

Suggestions?
Shoot the gun. The only way the gap will move (actually move and not an incorrect reading) is from wear on the rollers, wear on the chamber, movement in the barrel/barrel pin, loose welds on the trunion/receiver.

If you gun cycles reliably, recoil feels the same, and the shells are ejecting consistently, don't worry about it. If JLD folds years from now, there are enough people out here in HK land to keep your gun working correctly.

There are more pressing issues to worry about such as what gun/ammo to buy with the next paycheck, when's the next shoot, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Don't forget wear on the locking piece.

A friend had a REALLY worn out (sear host with nobody knows how many rounds fired) 91 with a bolt gap of only .002" or .003". It already had one size up rollers, we went to the largest size and it was still marginal. Replaced the locking piece and all was well.

But the next time it wears out, he'll have to replace the trunion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts