HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Swiss police trade-in P228 the other day, and this is its second trip to the range, so I wanted to compare it to my P30 V1 9mm. Both pistols functioned flawlessly, but I think the P30 edged it out in accuracy. I shot 100 rounds out of each with two different brands of ammo, 115 grain Federal Champion, and 124grain Agulia. I was at an indoor range and my shooting was done without a rest at 7 and 15 yards.

This first target was at 7 yards, and I only used federal ammo. The Sig was shot at the left two targets and the HK was shot at the right two. I put 15 rounds in the top two and 20 rounds in the bottom two (even though I marked those 15).

This second target was also set at 7 yards, and again the P228 was shot at the left two and the P30 was shot at the right two. I used 15 rounds of Federal ammo on the top left and right then switched to Agulia for the bottom two and put 20 rounds in each.

I took the last set of targets out to 15 yards and put 30 rounds of Agulia in each. I used the P228 for the circle target and the black center is 4” in diameter. I ran out of large circle targets so I had to switch to a white cross for the P30.

In summary I like both pistols but the HK won the day. At 7 yards both were pretty close but my groups with the sig opened up quite a bit at 15 yards. I think it might be the sights on the sig because there is not much of a gap between the front sight post and the rear notch so the target gets covered up. I don’t know what kind they are, but they are the night sights that came with it and there are no markings on them. They still have a lot of life in them so I won’t change them yet. The P30 still has the stock set of sight on it as well but I guess I’m just better with my HK.

I can't figure out how to rearrange them so here are the attchments not in the order of the above range report: 4th target, 3rd target, 1st target ,2nd target

Attachments

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Nice. I recently shot a friend's sig and was surprised how much I actually liked it. I don't like the de-cocker on the side, but the trigger was surprisingly decent despite it's funky looking appearance. I still won't take it over my USP though :)

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Nice write-up.

I've been saying for years now that older production (trade-in) Sigs are one of the best values out there for combat pistols.

·
Registered
571 Posts
imo Sig has a better DA trigger, HK a better SA trigger. either advantage is irrelevant with some practice dedicated to one firearm over the other.

the right Sig will run flawlessly. any give HK pistol will do the same, it's just that the purchase price seems to always be $200 more, or higher.

i like Sig pistols, personally, but HK-design rifles

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice report, and great couple of firearms

At 7 yards both were pretty close but my groups with the sig opened up quite a bit at 15 yards.
out of curiousity what night-sights does the P228 have? I know you said you can't identify them but do the resemble the siglites? I personally still use my dot bar sights on my P228 and it shoots like a laser for me, I love that little gun

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your comments guys,

Nice report, and great couple of firearms

out of curiousity what night-sights does the P228 have? I know you said you can't identify them but do the resemble the siglites? I personally still use my dot bar sights on my P228 and it shoots like a laser for me, I love that little gun
I’m not sure they could be siglites, but they have no name brand type markings. Maybe this will help, if you are looking straight down on the slide there are two painted dots on top of the rear sight and one painted dot on the front sight. When you are looking through the sights the glowing ampules themselves are smaller than the trudotes that HK put on my P2000. The rings around the tritium glass on the P228 almost look metal and are very thin and the front one is almost non existent when compared to the white rings around the trudots on the P2000.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My sig 220 is sickening accurate/reliable. I WILL NEVER USE ANOTHER SIDE ARM AGAIN!PERIOD!!!
I've got the P220 and a USP .45 and both are a pleasure to shoot and dead nuts accurate when I'm concentrating. One is not superior to the other and I enjoy shooting them for different reasons. My P220 is an all-stainless model (love the look, weight and balance of all stainless; much better than the alloy frame models) and while heavy, the recoil is negligible and for me it's easier to stay steady on target with a heavier pistol. The USP is a compact tactical so I enjoy shooting it suppressed and I can shoot it longer without fatigue getting in the way of accuracy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
228 is perhaps the best all metal 9mm made. Reset is a little long but easily solved with the SRT kit or a trip to Bruce Gray.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I bought one of the Aargau Swiss 228's also, its pictured below. It is just as accurate as my USPc 9 and I can place shots surgically with it at about 15 ft.

Great pistol, I also have a early 1996 Sig 226 that was the first pistol I ever bought. Both are German and both on much better built that their US counterparts

·
Registered
32 Posts
A Sig Sauer is typically lighter, has more snap, and is narrower in grip. Follow up shots require more attention to technique when compared to polymers. I liked the write up. It's a nice comparison. Both are reliable pistols and accurate enough for anyone. With enough range time, the difference in shooting both equally well will soon diminish. When I shot my first 100 rounds in the P220, there was a difference in handling when compared to Glocks and 1911s, for example. The difference would be less if they put more meatier grips like Pachmyr or better yet, used stainless instead of aluminum frames.

I shoot in 45 ACP for the most part. I have a Sig P220, Mars Armament T.H.U.G. 1911, Ed Brown Special Forces, Detonics Combat Master V, Glock 30, Glock 36, and hopefully, soon, an HK USP 45. I have finally learned how to shoot each equally well to 25 yards. My next goal is to bring myself up to speed at the 50 yard mark. If it is a carry pistol, my minimum standard is 25 yards, otherwise, I don't bother carrying a liability.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
A Sig Sauer double-stack pistol with the standard grip panels is wider than all my H&K's. The only narrow ones are the new E2 grip models because lots of shooters complained about them being too wide. And any of the Hogue grips will make the P220 just as wide as a P226 or P229. And all metal Sigs weigh more than just about every polymer pistol out there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A Sig Sauer is typically lighter, has more snap, and is narrower in grip.
I don't think any of these comments are accurate. Sigs are steel or aluminum/steel.. how will they be lighter than a polymer weapon? The added weight generally gives them less snap. Finally, Sigs are possibly some of the bulkiest handguns I've ever held. As mentioned above, a very common complaint.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A Sig Sauer is typically lighter, has more snap, and is narrower in grip. Follow up shots require more attention to technique when compared to polymers. I liked the write up. It's a nice comparison. Both are reliable pistols and accurate enough for anyone. With enough range time, the difference in shooting both equally well will soon diminish. When I shot my first 100 rounds in the P220, there was a difference in handling when compared to Glocks and 1911s, for example. The difference would be less if they put more meatier grips like Pachmyr or better yet, used stainless instead of aluminum frames.

I shoot in 45 ACP for the most part. I have a Sig P220, Mars Armament T.H.U.G. 1911, Ed Brown Special Forces, Detonics Combat Master V, Glock 30, Glock 36, and hopefully, soon, an HK USP 45. I have finally learned how to shoot each equally well to 25 yards. My next goal is to bring myself up to speed at the 50 yard mark. If it is a carry pistol, my minimum standard is 25 yards, otherwise, I don't bother carrying a liability.
Which Sig are you talking about?? Please enlighten us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice report thanks! In 45 i like my usp better than the kimber custom 2 i had.. i had.better groups with the HK and to me it felt less "mechanical"..but uh hate to say it, my cz97bd is my favorite in that caliber..but not by much!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice shooting. Wish I was half that good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts