HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read articles for a couple of years now saying HK would be manufacturing a civilian "G36" in the States under the new name HK293. Are they ever going to do this? Does anyone have any word if the HK293 project was scrapped or if it is still in the works?

Heckler & Koch HK243 and HK293 (Civilian G36) - The Firearm Blog

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,647 Posts
HK243 is in Europe already so 2018 for us!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I talked to HK at shotshow, and I asked them this very question because I've been on the fence about buying an SL8 and converting it.

More or less what they said: "no we don't have any plans to bring the HK243 to the American market, nor do we foresee it happening anytime soon"

I asked why and they said "to much red tape with the guns they have here now."

I am paraphrasing the above, but that was from the horses mouth.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I talked to HK at shotshow, and I asked them this very question because I've been on the fence about buying an SL8 and converting it.

More or less what they said: "no we don't have any plans to bring the HK243 to the American market, nor do we foresee it happening anytime soon"

We have super honest, benevolent politicians to thank for the red tape.

·
Registered
488 Posts
They also said they were having a hard time keeping up with demand for the VP9 and VP40 so a 45 variant isn't likely in the next two years.... That brought a tear to my eye. I was really hoping I would see the 243 or a VP45 this year. Now I might just break down and buy a MK23 or start an SL8 conversion.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
To be fair, we have the people who voted for those politicians to thank for all of that.
Not to argue but politicians don't always seem to follow the will of the voters or the very document that established their positions.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
They also said they were having a hard time keeping up with demand for the VP9 and VP40 so a 45 variant isn't likely in the next two years.... That brought a tear to my eye. I was really hoping I would see the 243 or a VP45 this year. Now I might just break down and buy a MK23 or start an SL8 conversion.
That's kind of silly of them. With such obvious demand a VP45 is sure to sell in large numbers as well and grab more market share for them. A smart company would capitalize on such momentum with moderate expansion to ensure continued profit increase. But then the Executives of HK were never as smart as the engineers were.

·
Registered
488 Posts
That's kind of silly of them. With such obvious demand a VP45 is sure to sell in large numbers as well and grab more market share for them. A smart company would capitalize on such momentum with moderate expansion to ensure continued profit increase. But then the Executives of HK were never as smart as the engineers were.
Agreed. I wasn't collecting HK guns when the USP line of guns hit the market, but I was told they had the same strategy for those. They know the last majority of people would prefer a 45, but we get impatient and buy what's available. Then all of a sudden you have a 9mm, 40 cal and then you finally get the 45 you wanted to start with.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Agreed. I wasn't collecting HK guns when the USP line of guns hit the market, but I was told they had the same strategy for those. They know the last majority of people would prefer a 45, but we get impatient and buy what's available. Then all of a sudden you have a 9mm, 40 cal and then you finally get the 45 you wanted to start with.
I want all three for the matching set! lol

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Any date is just a WAG. There is no proof that HK currently has any concrete plans to even release a HK 293 in the US, much less has a date target.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

It was my understanding that the HK243 was for European markets, so yes, there would be no plan for them to release the 243 here in the States. They would be releasing the HK293 here in the U.S. As to why I don't build my own, I am just a shooter. I lack the licenses, time, money, and patience to acquire all the parts and conversion kits. I built my AR, I installed some upgrades to my Glock, and I bought a Steiner DBAL-PL for my HK Mark 23...I don't have the time or money to build another rifle. Call me lazy, but I'd rather just buy one and shoot it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts