HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,703 Posts
"Chief Warrant Officer 5 Christian Wade, the gunner, or infantry weapons officer, for 2nd Marine Division, told Military.com the M27 costs about $3,000 apiece, without the sight."

·
Registered
31 Posts
the m27 huh. that's what i'm issued, awesome piece of hardware. If there is a civilian version of that exact rifle I recommend it 200%. it does wonderful things. I doubt that thing will become standard though, the m4 satisfies enough people.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Interesting...based on what I'm reading the M27 is simply a replacement for the M249 in certain units, correct? Not sure I'm seeing the sense in a 30 round magazine for a light machine gun.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Interesting they seem to be happy enough with the 5.56 mm after quite a bit of smoke about an 'intermediate caliber' with better range and ke. G3 Kurz wrote an essay on the "Future of the Military Assault Rifle," wherein he discussed this issue in depth and remarked on new technologies, to include new cartridge technologies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting...based on what I'm reading the M27 is simply a replacement for the M249 in certain units, correct? Not sure I'm seeing the sense in a 30 round magazine for a light machine gun.
Yes, a lot of grunts despise the 249 because, we'd rather just suck it up and carry the heavier and more reliable m240(although only a couple not one per fireteam) or a regular rifle. The m27 is meant to provide accurate fire, suppressive fire when needed, and not stand out noticeably next to a bunch of M16s and M4s. it's also easier to just toss a mag to the IAR gunner and have it feed reliably in his weapon.(not the case with the 249)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I understand the mag swap-out feature, but limiting a SAW to only 30 rounds strikes me as a really bad idea.
I suppose it is weird, but with how fast some marines get with their weapons and how familiar, maneuverable, and also reliable the m27 is, the pros do outweigh the cons. if we need a serious wall of lead we have the m240 and usually a Marine who is more than capable of using it.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I suppose it is weird, but with how fast some marines get with their weapons and how familiar, maneuverable, and also reliable the m27 is, the pros do outweigh the cons. if we need a serious wall of lead we have the m240 and usually a Marine who is more than capable of using it.
Sounds good.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
i remember when the m249 was first introduced and the pain it was to keep going some of us had access to the old m16a1 and liked it better it seems things are moving full circle.
but we also had the m60 and m60e2 the m240 is a much better platform too
i am in favor of the m27 for general issue but maybe as a 3 shot burst option still

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
no problem brother, and thanks, I try not to be the one to fail inspection.
I think it's the first clean piston I have seen on a 416 or G36 type rifle other than my own. :biggrin:

I use solvent and a brass brush to get mine shiny. Sometimes have to cheat with a knife, but I try to keep that to a minimum! What do you use?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it's the first clean piston I have seen on a 416 or G36 type rifle other than my own. :biggrin:

I use solvent and a brass brush to get mine shiny. Sometimes have to cheat with a knife, but I try to keep that to a minimum! What do you use?
same as you. sometimes i sneak some of my personal solvent that i use for my own guns and bring out my tiny scraper to really get that black nastiness off.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts