HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After months of research, I bit the bullet, pulled the trigger (I'm out of gun metaphors) and grabbed a P30LS in 9mm. My, oh my! Perfection in a black plastic box.

I have pretty small hands and have had a tough time finding a full size gun for the range that I can get a decent grip on. The modular grip panels really help a lot. I ended up with small sides and the medium back strap. Worked great.

Today was the second outing at the range. First 150 rounds were 124gr Aguilla, followed by 50 115 gr Federal.

No stoves, no FTE, No FTF no fail to anything! Seriously, this gun is dead nuts accurate and the softest shooting 9mm I have ever shot. Ran at about 8 yards and consistently was getting 2" groups.

The only issue I am having is that spent casings are more often than not coming straight back at me and hitting my chest and even my forehead. Any thoughts if that's normal or part of the break in process? Was happening with both 124 and 115 rounds.

Otherwise couldn't be happier!

Here's mine and a target from today!

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
My NIB P30 40 LEM threw brass at me too.
My other NIB HKs never ever did that (USPT45, HK45C, P2000 357/40 & P2000SK 40/357).
It was unsettling...
Good news is the more I shot it the less that happened.
Dial up the round count.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Probably just a weak load. I've got about 500rds on mine and it will do it every now and then. Talk to your gun , and tell it you'll trade it in for a glock if it doesn't quit .
I'm just kidding .....enjoy your new HK !
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
34,552 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the acquisition!!! :biggrin:
Nice placement. :wink:

Tony

·
Registered
682 Posts
Talk to your gun , and tell it you'll trade it in for a glock if it doesn't quit .
Empty threats weaken your negotiating position. :)

OP congrats on the new gun. It will loosen up and after it breaks in, and from there it will run like clockwork. Perfect practice makes perfect so get some range time if you are able.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Probably just a weak load. I've got about 500rds on mine and it will do it every now and then. Talk to your gun , and tell it you'll trade it in for a glock if it doesn't quit .
I'm just kidding .....enjoy your new HK !
You mean trading it for the service pistol with the worst ejection and extraction cycle of any of them......yea, that would be smart:500:. The gun would know its a veiled threat.

Personally, we have extraction tested the heck out of numerous modern service weapons and the HK (especially the P30) tends to have the most consistent and reliable extraction and ejection of all of them. I would suggest taking a hard look at you grip and particularly ensure that your wrists are locked. Shooting with un-locked wrists (often a leftover from the revolver days, or when looking for accuracy during slow fire) retards the slide movement and can be reflected in poor ejection patterns. If not, shoot some NATO spec 9mm and if it is still doing it with a locked grip, then I would contact HK.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
You mean trading it for the service pistol with the worst ejection and extraction cycle of any of them......yea, that would be smart:500:. The gun would know its a veiled threat. .
Sarcasm ..probably not called for .

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Probably not a good idea. Most HK's ive ever seen have that attitude, you know the one where they are just saying "Yeah you'll be back, they always come back". They know it o_O

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
So far I've only shot NATO sped'd 9mm out of my LS, and I did not experience shallow extraction/ejection? Can anyone definitively say this is a cartridge charge issue?

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
So far I've only shot NATO sped'd 9mm out of my LS, and I did not experience shallow extraction/ejection? Can anyone definitively say this is a cartridge charge issue?
I believe this is what nyeti is referring to . Maybe 9mm nato will help , but you still have to have a firm grip /wrist combination . I shoot walmart fed. and wwb 115gr with no issues at all .

·
Super Moderator
6,069 Posts
The long slide takes a little longer to break in the recoil assembly.

I have one, but I only feed it 124 NATO, which is kinda hot. I'd put another 300 rounds through it of stout ammo. Then she'll get in line for you. Great gun, and congrats.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Personally, we have extraction tested the heck out of numerous modern service weapons and the HK (especially the P30) tends to have the most consistent and reliable extraction and ejection of all of them. I would suggest taking a hard look at you grip and particularly ensure that your wrists are locked. Shooting with un-locked wrists (often a leftover from the revolver days, or when looking for accuracy during slow fire) retards the slide movement and can be reflected in poor ejection patterns. If not, shoot some NATO spec 9mm and if it is still doing it with a locked grip, then I would contact HK.

I was standing between the two tables today shooting , and when I picked up the brass around the bag , I looked in the bag and had to take a picture. I'd have to say it's pretty consistent.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice shooting bro. Yes the advice is correct. Shoot it more! I had the same prob with my H&K and my Browning Hi-Power Practical. Keep shoveing rounds thru it and it will be more consistant. I can't answer the question as to why the cases never would fall in the same place, I reload, but they did stop hitting me in the head after a bunch of rounds. Enjoy and as always DVC

·
Registered
380 Posts
My P30 and P30LS required no break in, granted mine are 40 cal but they shoot and extract perfectly.

The only thing that keeps the P30L from being, what I consider the perfect gun, is the trigger. If the P30L had the Match trigger from the Expert it would then be my perfect gun.

Now I'm off to order the HK45.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Probably not a good idea. Most HK's ive ever seen have that attitude, you know the one where they are just saying "Yeah you'll be back, they always come back". They know it o_O
Buying an H&K is kinda like eating, do it once and you just have to keep doing it over and over. :) Nasty Habit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts