HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to "convert" my SL 8 to a civilian G36

But ,with either TN or HPDS , even with a G36C stock,the overall look seems weird if you put side by side a real G36 vs a converted SL8.

The hinge creates like a hump between the receiver and the stock.I don't like that!!

How about a SL 8 stock /lower unit without the hinge?

Anyone heard (or thought)about a similar stock?

I'm sure that the SL8 with such stock would look more like a G36.

How about a "C" version?

Just a thought

:10000000:

·
Registered
39 Posts
i think you're talking about the phil covington stock. i don't think he makes it anymore but you could check around for some in circulation.
search google for sl8 conversions and click on something like alpinetek.net or something to that effect.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome to HKPRO.

Your question is pretty insightful, actually, since many of us who undertook the G36 conversion project realized early on that the Top Notch parts that were supplied created a serious Length-of-Pull (LOP) problem for the shooter. Plus, that 'bump' for the hinge whacked you right in the nose every time you pulled the trigger making for a very unpleasant experience.

So, what you point out about the hinge totally throwing off the dimensions of an accurate reproduction G36 is exactly the issue, and one that must be solved if you want to get into this as a project.

My own G36 conversion took years to finish, and during several years of that time, the SL8 sat in the back of the safe like a stepchild because 1) I was too embarassed with the parts fitment to take it out, 2) it hurt to shoot it, 3) the factory sights were useless with the LOP so long, and 4) it was unreliable with the AR15 magazines not feeding correctly due to height/alignment issues. No kidding, several YEARS sitting in the back of the safe dormant because of these problems.

I finally just decided that if anyone was going to fix it, it would have to be me. I took the stock off, made some measurements and a change. I removed about 2" of hinge on the back of the TN parts which are poorly formed, incorrectly dimensioned (too narrow), and although this change was never designed that way, I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. With all this talk, I should just show you a picture;

and here without the AWC Raider suppressor;

Essentially, your imagination and handiwork is the limiting factor in building a conversion that fits you well, is easy and fun to shoot, and reliable. I found that using pins through the rear of the stock (shiny spots in the 2nd photo, plus hidden by the rear stock tangs of the SL8) made for a very solid construction, and the best bond was formed by gluing these joints during assembly with a heavy cyanoacrylate (super glue) and then pinning. The results have been through several thousands of shots now, and the rifle has quickly become one of my favorites to take to the range.

Run a quick search on "Phil Covington Stock" and "G36 Conversion" and I'm sure you'll come up with more information than you can shake a stick at. Good luck, in whatever you choose,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the valuable info. I just took a quick run through the sites that you had mentioned. WOW!!! The amount of info out there for conversions. Of course the question arises of the legality of this especially living in the P.R.of N.J. I just want to get rid of the ugly thumb stock. Of course this would include adding a new trigger group. Is this something that I could do myself? I would have to keep it in a fixed stock config due to state law. Would I just then get a semi-auto G36 trigger group?

·
Registered
35 Posts
you don't need a new triggergroup, you swap it over to the cool stock.

there is reasonably good info on how to do it on http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/breakdown/

but the re assembly is not eay if you follow the pictures backwords.
the locking lever in pic#12 caused me a lot of as*pain yesterday

i installed it after i installed the trigger & hammer.
-much easier

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks, you saved me a couple a hundred $$

1 - 8 of 8 Posts