HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
HK Nut Extraordinaire
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20170328_172612.jpg

Just got this back from Mark at L&M. Very impressed with his work.

Looking forward to getting to the range with it. Thinking the IR laser might be Overkill with nvgs since I can use the dot... And yes I need to put a tall front sight on it. Other than that, lots of fun packed in that package.

·
HK Nut Extraordinaire
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is pretty special--- awesome sidearm and setup--- but you are lacking a suppressor!!! :biggrin:

Tony
Very true Tony! :) I've never been much for suppressors on handguns... Interested in more of the "Roland Special" concept to make it a functional performance type of setup.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
That's so sweet. Really Nice set up. I'm wanting something like this as well. Do you mind enlighting us on cost?

·
HK Nut Extraordinaire
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, take your stock VP ...

Deltapoint Pro - MSRP $519
Rear iron for above - MSRP $79
Threaded Barrel - Rim Country Mfg - $175
Comp - HKParts - $50
Taylor Freelance Magwell - $100

Keep in mind most of those are MSPR prices. I found quite a few deals on parts.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Sure, take your stock VP ...

Deltapoint Pro - MSRP $519
Rear iron for above - MSRP $79
Threaded Barrel - Rim Country Mfg - $175
Comp - HKParts - $50
Taylor Freelance Magwell - $100

Keep in mind most of those are MSPR prices. I found quite a few deals on parts.
Thanks! How much was the work?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
HK was quite under-represented, as in not represented to the best of my knowledge, at the just completed USPSA Optics Nationals. Are you considering applying your GM skills in that direction?

Let us know what battery life you get out of your Pro; the reports have been confusing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Getting ready to send my slide out to be milled for an RMR. How effective is the comp??? Looking to do a very similar setup.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You scooped me, you bastard. My comp comes in tomorrow. I honestly am not particularly hopeful in how much difference it'll make, given how small the ports are and my overall meh-ness toward HKParts' own products, but hey, it's only 50 USD. Keep us posted. I throw up my own little write-up come Saturday, once I get some range time Friday.

You gonna try and duty gun that monster?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My comp comes in tomorrow. I honestly am not particularly hopeful in how much difference it'll make, given how small the ports are and my overall meh-ness toward HKParts' own products, but hey, it's only 50 USD.

I'll be as straightforward as I can regarding the HKparts micro comp. It works and does what it's supposed to do, mitigate recoil and reduce muzzle flip. How drastic is it? Not enough to turn you into John Wick. It does however, make follow up shots a lot easier. I noticed the recoil impulse is reduced by quite a bit while muzzle flip is still there but not as pronounced as it is without the comp.

I'll be honest and say the comp could have done a better job at reducing muzzle flip. 3 small ports on the top just isn't enough for that. I won't take mine off though, as it does a good job with recoil mitigation creating a better experience when I shoot my VP9.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'll be as straightforward as I can regarding the HKparts micro comp. It works and does what it's supposed to do, mitigate recoil and reduce muzzle flip. How drastic is it? Not enough to turn you into John Wick. It does however, make follow up shots a lot easier. I noticed the recoil impulse is reduced by quite a bit while muzzle flip is still there but not as pronounced as it is without the comp.

I'll be honest and say the comp could have done a better job at reducing muzzle flip. 3 small ports on the top just isn't enough for that. I won't take mine off though, as it does a good job with recoil mitigation creating a better experience when I shoot my VP9.
How much change in splits have you seen?

·
Registered
73 Posts
How much change in splits have you seen?
A measurable amount. I can't give you an exact number but If I had to guess I would say splits are cut 1/3 of my time. I notice it, my buddies I've lend my VP9 to have noticed it, it isn't just negligible at least to me. I notice I track my front sight much faster.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Very nice! I have been planning on doing something similar with my USP 45 compact, but I have never seen a compensator for it. Don't know if anyone makes one, or if any other model brand would work. Currently am planning everything else though, just the cost of that RMR!
I have a TLR3 that was originally on my USP full size with the rail attachment and I will probably keep it since I already have it and just recycle it for the compact. But has anyone put on a Surefire XC1 on a ggg rail on a USP compact? I would like to see how it looks and functions if that might be a better alternative for later on to replace the TLR.

Since we are in this thread, let me ask you guys (I didn't search yet so not sure if this been answered before) what is the big deal with "Roland Special"??
I have seen this term pop up a lot here lately in regards to a G19 with a handful of accessories and I feel like it is a rather new way of describing something that has been around for a while.
I started building a competition glock, just for fun/hobby to keep me busy, several years ago. Compensators and RMRs were around back then, but no one was calling it a Roland Special.
I have a glock22 that was a gift so I cannot part with it. I figured I would build it up since I was keeping it; I replaced a some of the internals, added threaded barrel and compensator, Surefire X200, magazine extensions for more rounds, stippled the grip, just never got to the RMR because it was the most expensive add on. I've shot it and its fun, but I was just wondering if someone could explain to me what the big deal is now, or is this just another new fad that will pass?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Since we are in this thread, let me ask you guys (I didn't search yet so not sure if this been answered before) what is the big deal with "Roland Special"??
IIRC, the Roland Special is suppose to be a Gen3 Glock 19 with a KKM threaded barrel and comp, Surefire X300U, Trijicon RMR RM06, Sentinel Design magwell, some light internals work, and ATEi doing the slidework; anything else isn't technically an RS, but merely a genericized version of it. An Army JSOC guy built it as a joke (the guy liked to use Roland Deschain as his pseudonym), then realized it was actually pretty useful. The KKM comp on the Glock 19 put the length at Glock 34 size, and allowed it to be used with Glock 34 Safariland duty holsters (which makes form factor very important, when you're trying to use duty gear). The comp allows for the gun to shoot flatter, which makes it easier to reacquire the dot (some will say easier to track, but that implies that the dot is kept in view the entire time, which I highly doubt is possible unless you're Jerry Miculek's level of grip strength, even if the dot is out of sight for extremely short periods of time and appears to never be gone). The KKM barrel offers better accuracy than stock (Gen3 Glocks are slightly, but noticeably, less accurate than the Gen4). The RMR is excellent for improving accuracy overall, particularly when shooting under NODs (can't see irons usually, due to focal issues).

So, a lot of it is just nuthugging; I've seen folks shoot RSes that really could have put that money toward ammo instead, but I've also seen people burn it down with them. There's a measureable difference in performance, but that difference is probably not all that noticeable (if at all) to novices (outside of the red dot).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts