HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've said in previous posts, I am an NFA noob. If you buy the MP5 on HKparts (or where ever) that is a factory suppressed & SBR, and then add the NFA F/A sear does it make it a Machine Gun at that point or are you still stuck with the SBR classification?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
MG while searpack installed. reverts to SBR when you remove searpack.
+1

If you're gonna have a sear, just buy pistols unless you really want to keep a buttstock installed while not in use.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
+1

If you're gonna have a sear, just buy pistols unless you really want to keep a buttstock installed while not in use.
I have some ranges around me that are no-MG's allowed. They won't even let you on the line if it COULD be used in FA... So I've had to SBR a few of the favorites so I can shoot them at close by ranges.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I have some ranges around me that are no-MG's allowed. They won't even let you on the line if it COULD be used in FA... So I've had to SBR a few of the favorites so I can shoot them at close by ranges.
That is horrible. What I find even more bizarre is a facility for shooting "banning" a whole class of gun. I could understand if the range could not handle the caliber (.50 BMG comes to mind), but if you are allowed to shoot the same gun without the sear, what is the difference? If you can't control the gun and you damage equipment, then you are responsible. I've seen other shooters that didn't have good control because they trying to shoot their semi auto as fast as they could. Sorry you have such a hassle to use your sear, to say nothing of the extra expense of tax stamps and leaving your sear at home.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
That is horrible. What I find even more bizarre is a facility for shooting "banning" a whole class of gun.
These ranges are the ones that cater to the bolt action hunting rifle crowd. I think given their choice, they would rip out the pistol range, and pass a no more than 3 rounds in the gun rule.

But it is the nicest 100yd range around, its often very empty, and the people are generally nice.

I did get yelled at last time I was there by the on-site care taker for shooting a MG. She was convinced it was a MG because it was so loud. WTF??? I was shooting a SBR 53, The sear was at home.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That sounds a lot like a range I've been to in central Indiana. I can't get over how people at a shooting range can act so anti-gun.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
You should here them piss and moan when I have my 300 win. mag. with the muzzle break at the range.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
My shooting club is the nicest one around and it has the same "no mg" rule. I wish it didn't, but it does.

Just put your sear pack in a two position grip and head for the range. :wink:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with ChopStix's the other day and I am very happy to say, I'm going to go with an MP5 pistol when I get to Virginia, SBR it and then save for an FA sear set.

If I move out of the state that I have the SBR registered can I just take off the stock and it reverts back to a pistol? I probably wont have a sear by then unless I'm really really nice to the wife, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
If I move out of the state that I have the SBR registered can I just take off the stock and it reverts back to a pistol?
Negative. Once a rifle, you've got to keep it a rifle. You can have a long barrel installed, and make it a length compliant rifle to get out of being a SBR.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Have 20 acres now, working on building a range onsite. Hopefully in a year or two public ranges will be a thing of the past for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it is not a SBR, but is a MG with stock and searpack installed, what is it when stock is off, no endplate is installed (or owned), and no semi-auto triggerpack is installed? Is it a pistol? Or is it a "barrelled receiver"? THis is prob only pertinent in states like Mass that allow MGs (with special permit) but do not allow AR type "evil" pistols. But the state law defines a pistol as something capable of launching a projectile, so without end cap and semi trigger pack I say it is NOT a pistol, but merely a "barrelled receiver". What say ye?

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
If it is not a SBR, but is a MG with stock and searpack installed, what is it when stock is off, no endplate is installed (or owned), and no semi-auto triggerpack is installed? Is it a pistol? Or is it a "barrelled receiver"? THis is prob only pertinent in states like Mass that allow MGs (with special permit) but do not allow AR type "evil" pistols. But the state law defines a pistol as something capable of launching a projectile, so without end cap and semi trigger pack I say it is NOT a pistol, but merely a "barrelled receiver". What say ye?
And in Virginia, any gun that's been made to shoot full auto, at any time, is considered a machine gun. A sear is not a machine gun. So, if you have one sear and seven semi auto hosts that all had the sear installed in them at one time or another, then Virginia considers you to own seven machine guns, and all seven guns are required to be registered with the state police (no fees required). The sear is not registered.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
It transfers to you AS a firearm whether or not it can shoot anything. The receiver itself is considered a firearm and requires a 4473 to take possession... even a bare receiver with NO barrel, cocking tube, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
If it is not a SBR, but is a MG with stock and searpack installed, what is it when stock is off, no endplate is installed (or owned), and no semi-auto triggerpack is installed? Is it a pistol? Or is it a "barrelled receiver"?
It reverts back to what it was before the sear was installed. For most things H&K that means a pistol, or a rifle. Most folks lack the at home tools to swap barrels... so very few of us buy 'bare receivers'. There is no definition in any of the ATF books I have that places a special status on a barreld receiver that makes it any different from a complete firearm.

But the state law defines a pistol as something capable of launching a projectile, so without end cap and semi trigger pack I say it is NOT a pistol, but merely a "barrelled receiver". What say ye?
Does not matter one bit what you would LIKE to call it.. it matters what the local prosecutor decides to call it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with jdonovon and shattered, thanks for your thoughtful comments. A barrelled receiver is a "firearm", just like a bare receiver is--it is the registered, serialized part. But if it was bought as a bare receiver on the 4473, then built up (sent away to builder), never configured as a pistol, just as a host. Then when stock is off and searpack is out does it revert to a "receiver" (albeit barrelled?) Or is it now magically a "pistol" even though it never was a pistol? It is more of a rhetorical question really, I'm not asking anyone to make this nuanced and dark corner of one state's gun laws make sense. And I'm certainly not interested in asking some local prosecutor who doesn't know what end the round comes out of.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
All depends on how it is originally configured. If you (or your builder) complete the firearm, you (or they) set the description as to whether it is a rifle or pistol. Every receiver I've acquired has said the receivers were just that... receivers. Neither pistol or rifle. You CAN have your dealer specify on the 4473 (when you pick them up) AND your receipt that they are to be pistols.

That said, I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn more than once.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shattered you can be my lawyer or do my surgery. I know a lot of lawyers and if I ask them a question like this they mostly say "huh?" It's on the 4473 as a receiver. Assembled = MG. Disassembled what do you call it? How 'bout "Ol Betsy"?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts