HKPRO Forums banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd love to hear some first-person perspective from someone at the beginner end of the spectrum from the tactical/situational shooting standpoint. I've been salivating at all the AAR's, but consider myself an 'average' HK nut -- ~42 years of target shooting experience, several visits to the subgun range at Knob Creek (and so sad this is the last year for the shoot) along with a little bit of small game here and there. Zero situational shooting exposure or training.

The event, the chance to see and shoot some of the rare HK's, the chance to begin to develop some very useful skills, and most importantly the camaraderie I can see in the pictures is so enticing.

Returning to this forum after a ~10 year hiatus has been great for the spirit, but continues to be rough on the pocketbook :D

·
HK Shooting Team
2,884 Posts
I'd love to hear some first-person perspective from someone at the beginner end of the spectrum from the tactical/situational shooting standpoint. I've been salivating at all the AAR's, but consider myself an 'average' HK nut -- ~42 years of target shooting experience, several visits to the subgun range at Knob Creek (and so sad this is the last year for the shoot) along with a little bit of small game here and there. Zero situational shooting exposure or training.

The event, the chance to see and shoot some of the rare HK's, the chance to begin to develop some very useful skills, and most importantly the camaraderie I can see in the pictures is so enticing.

Returning to this forum after a ~10 year hiatus has been great for the spirit, but continues to be rough on the pocketbook :D
My wife and 2 daughters (18 & 21) as well as another entire family of 4 (kids were probably 13 & 15) with absolutely zero situational experience and basic shooting skills all left as new people seeking even more of the same training. My girls as well as Straightgrain's wife even requested a hand to hand defense class during their "off" time block. WOFT put it together for them and they got what they asked for. My conversations with the family of 4 showed me a proud Dad, an amazed Mother, and 2 young children that were so excited to acquire new life skills...... and a family that was not stopping the training after this event. WOFT keeps a file on all students and then custom tailors scenarios to the individuals abilities......what they do is quite amazing for training and is always custom tailored even for beginners like my family. Also, attendee's shooting abilities ranged from almost zero skills to very very skilled. We were able to easily scale the shooting instruction to the attendee because of the small group sizes. Obviously, a 3 hour pistol block whether small pistol or VP9 red dot is not going to turn a beginner into an intermediate but they will have personalized tips and info to help them develop should they practice after leaving. Hope this helps you......if there was one expression to describe the event's learning and personal development, this member has it as well as 2 in the "A" zone!

Camouflage Military camouflage Hat Marines Goggles

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
I envy you Bystok, having a wife and daughters that will go shooting, much less to this level.

thus is life.

·
PROUD ASA MEMBER
356 Posts
For those who are contemplating a trip to W.O.F.T. I’ll first say this - WHAT AN EVENT! I’ve posted a lot of content over the past few days on my IG account. While doing so I’ve taken some time to reflect. It’s no secret that those who provided firearms training are masters in their craft so here’s my take on my experience and training with the W.OF.T. Staff specifically.

Cloud Sky Road surface Asphalt Land lot

West Orlando Firearms Training or W.O.F.T.

Where the rubber meets the road - the ultimate testing ground if you will. The great thing about scenario based training when done properly is that it is not a one size fits all approach - the scenarios here are catered to match the individual needs of each student. The amenities and the staff are truly exceptional.

Interior design Wall Building Table Decoration

When talking about service and support, or what many of us in the business refer to as the “warm and fuzzies” it’s certainly there. Your trainers will push to get the most out of you while also making you feel like family. It’s a wonderful balance and there’s a great sense of camaraderie here.

Face Smile Shirt Cap Tartan

Training Matters

Trousers Leg Tire Flooring Wheel

Vertebrate Leg Automotive tire Tire Wheel

At W.O.F.T. you are challenged to put what you think you know to the test. You had some students who left realizing that they aren’t adequately prepared to handle some situations and were given the opportunity to evaluate their performance. Others left with a new sense of confidence knowing that all the time, money and effort they’ve invested in training wasn’t for nothing - all left with new considerations and tools for their proverbial “tool box.” I would encourage you to travel to this facility and witness it all for yourself.

A big thank you goes out to Philip (W.O.F.T. CEO) and your entire staff. A big thanks to the HK Staff as they brought the goods and left everyone with smiles. Bill, Riley and of course the legendary Bob Schultz were in attendance and gave us all the opportunity to pick his brain. Having the opportunity to shoot with Derek @bystok & Tom Dresner @HKPRO was also a treat. You guys put many smiles on this young man’s face. 🙂 It was a pleasure meeting with your family @bystok

Last but certainly not least, I can’t leave out my good friend James @Teufelshund Tactical for having me down as I was a last minute guest. I can’t possibly thank you enough.

Machine gun Marines Air gun Military person T-shirt

As an HK aficionado and someone who constantly seeks training that challenges me this was an absolute treat and I was fortunate to meet some great folks along the way. These are moments I won’t forget and I hope to be back soon.

Smile Hand Hairstyle Photograph Facial expression

Sky Cloud Plant Flash photography Outdoor recreation

Till next time, friends. 🤙

Attachments

·
HK Shooting Team
2,884 Posts
I envy you Bystok, having a wife and daughters that will go shooting, much less to this level.

thus is life.
Thanks Bobby! My wife & oldest daughter went into this with a I don't want to really do this attitude and now keep asking me when the next date is!!!!! All 3 now understand it is more than the shooting, it is building life skills and an experience that is just hard to describe...........excellence! I am lucky to have 3 cool chics!

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,511 Posts
For those who are contemplating a trip to W.O.F.T. I’ll first say this - WHAT AN EVENT! I’ve posted a lot of content over the past few days on my IG account. While doing so I’ve taken some time to reflect. It’s no secret that those who provided firearms training are masters in their craft so here’s my take on my experience and training with the W.OF.T. Staff specifically.

View attachment 303544

West Orlando Firearms Training or W.O.F.T.

Where the rubber meets the road - the ultimate testing ground if you will. The great thing about scenario based training when done properly is that it is not a one size fits all approach - the scenarios here are catered to match the individual needs of each student. The amenities and the staff are truly exceptional.

View attachment 303545

When talking about service and support, or what many of us in the business refer to as the “warm and fuzzies” it’s certainly there. Your trainers will push to get the most out of you while also making you feel like family. It’s a wonderful balance and there’s a great sense of camaraderie here.

View attachment 303552

Training Matters

View attachment 303546

View attachment 303548

At W.O.F.T. you are challenged to put what you think you know to the test. You had some students who left realizing that they aren’t adequately prepared to handle some situations and were given the opportunity to evaluate their performance. Others left with a new sense of confidence knowing that all the time, money and effort they’ve invested in training wasn’t for nothing - all left with new considerations and tools for their proverbial “tool box.” I would encourage you to travel to this facility and witness it all for yourself.

A big thank you goes out to Philip (W.O.F.T. CEO) and your entire staff. A big thanks to the HK Staff as they brought the goods and left everyone with smiles. Bill, Riley and of course the legendary Bob Schultz were in attendance and gave us all the opportunity to pick his brain. Having the opportunity to shoot with Derek @bystok & Tom Dresner @HKPRO was also a treat. You guys put many smiles on this young man’s face. 🙂 It was a pleasure meeting with your family @bystok

Last but certainly not least, I can’t leave out my good friend James @Teufelshund Tactical for having me down as I was a last minute guest. I can’t possibly thank you enough.

View attachment 303549

As an HK aficionado and someone who constantly seeks training that challenges me this was an absolute treat and I was fortunate to meet some great folks along the way. These are moments I won’t forget and I hope to be back soon.

View attachment 303550

View attachment 303553

Till next time, friends. 🤙
So glad you could drop everything and make the trip with me. An experience like this was not to be missed and besides, "what are friends for"! It was awesome getting to watch you make friends and moments all weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This looks like so much (worthwhile) fun! I wish I could plan my schedule far enough out to sign up for 2022.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
This looks like so much (worthwhile) fun! I wish I could plan my schedule far enough out to sign up for 2022.
Many of us are no doubt concerned about schedule risk. You can sign up and cancel 100% refundable (outside of I believe a 60-day window).

Nevertheless, it would be appreciated if we can lock dates down sooner rather than later — I also have two constraints I cannot work around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: bystok

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 · (Edited)

straightgrain's AAF:

What more can be said, since so many have covered so much, already? Please indulge me as I fill in a few bits. I was supposed to have both my wife and daughter attending the class. My wife made it, but there were "complications" with my oldest daughter's availability. I was so impressed with my first experience at WOFT that I absolutely wanted family there. They were both experiencing a little bit of trepidation regarding the agenda, but I knew that it would be rewarding.

WOFT meets every single student with a concept called "first gear for first gear." No one is inundated or overwhelmed. Complete novice? No problem. You are met at your skill set level and your growth begins there. More importantly, WOFT provides the ultimate safe space for this learning. Safety, safety, safety. From safety gear, to range rules, to training rules (no pointy stabby things in your pocket in the low light room!)... This is the place to train. My role was sort of a concierge/air traffic controller. I was flitting from training to training stage making sure that everyone was comfortable, happy and getting what they need. Students and staff alike. Help loading mags, Johnny on the spot. Bottle of water? Gotcha covered. Looking a little winded, here have a seat for few. One of the instructors needs a demo dummy? Sure, I'll pretend to choke out a hot, sweaty Brazilian jiu-jitsu master who is laying on his back on the floor. What could possibly go wrong? Behind the scenes chats with instructors on needs some of the student might have? Sure, more info means better training.

First up, James, our very own @Teufelshund Tactical
James, was laying down the concealed carry techniques in a three hour class that exclusively used live fire HK VP9SK weapons. First gear for first gear... Everyone learned good stuff here. From the pinch to crashing the trigger, to clearing leather, to actual concepts of how to confidently place shots in different scenarios... James took the time to not just demonstrate what he wanted the students to learn, he took the time to explain the WHY behind what he was teaching. Spoiler Alert: It's physics! And even though I was not able to take the class, I absolutely learned that I need to ditch the flush mag on my EDC VP9SK and swap it out for a bigger one. I'm not the biggest guy in the world. So I thought the minimizing print issue was important for me. It's a bad trade off. Take the class and learn why. James is a patient and gifted instructor who never comes off as testosterone overloaded, macho or my way or the highway. He has great knowledge that he wants to share with others... Not force it down your throat.

Next up, Tom aka @HKPRO
Pro has been teaching this course for quite some time. And I have been fortunate to act as his RSO on many occasions. I know the class material pretty well and it is a large part of Pro's DNA. The MP5 subgun class started off as Pro's taking the original, HK International Training Division 5-day class and condensing it to a weekend. For the WOFT even, he had to condense it down to 3 hours! Herculean task, indeed. The goal is to take people, regardless of skill level, and install the fundamentals, create "building blocks" of skill sets and then move into actual EFFECTIVE use of the weapon platform. Weather it's full-tilt boogie with an MP5 or an SP5, everyone learned how to get hits, GREAT HITS, under a huge variety of conditions and circumstances, including shooting while moving. It seems like a little point. But shooting while moving is a major STOP for many ranges. Safety is held so highly that safety competence is gauged before the range morphs from the standard mode of cold, to the heightened hot mode. Students embracing safety and instructors and staff with sharp eyes make this possible. Pro scored major wins with all who took the class.

Batting third, @bystok
Bystok, known in the real world as Derek, is a part of the HK Shooting team. Derek took on the arduous tasks of teaching folks how to properly use a red dot sight and then taking those skills into immediate use... all the way to a shoot house scenario where they could take those new skills and get GREAT hits while runnin' and gunnin'. Derek took the "professional" shooters mindset perspective to impart wisdom. Learn the right way to find the dot, learn how to place the dot, learn how to get hits with the dot. So many students (from all skill levels) learned that there really is a speed difference in getting quality hits when comparing the red dot to iron sights. Red dot don't lie! Derek showed that he was a patient, yet rigorous instructor, even with his own family!

The food...
Breakfast and lunch are provided for the group every day. It's no simple affair. Students (and staff) need fuel for the day. Plenty of QUALITY meals are provided. WOFT seems to have found the never ending supply of bacon, so no complaints there! Meals are not powdered eggs and Subway sammies. This is full on, quality chow. Grilled chicken, seared salmon, tacos, scrambled eggs, freshly made pancakes, hot coffee, sushi... YES! I SAID SUSHI for lunch. If you are hungry, it's your own fault. Oh, and the Sunday treat...

Low Light Simulation
Part of what WOFT and the HKPRO VIP experience intend to do is to merge weapon skills with life skills. We are all vulnerable at night and the lead instructor at WOFT, Philip Toppino (he's Irish!) has some very valuable skills that he is going to impart to you. In the dark. With a flashlight. You are going to be skeptical. You are actually going to be downright incredulous. And I can guarantee you that what you learn here will absolutely improve your decision making skills and might even save your life.

The Coffee Shop
This is where a significant amount of rubber meets the road. For three hours you are presented with very real, very intense scenarios that paint real life drama that unfolds in front of us every day when out and about in public. Whether you carry or not, this is the real deal. Ignore? Alert? Clear leather? Escape? Smoke that bad guy? So many options of choice that have to happen so fast. Time compresses. Your focus goes to tunnel vision. What do you do? And now that you've done it... The scenario is halted and everyone gets to break down all of the decisions made and then reset for the next variation on a theme. Guess what? Your choices change when you are solo versus with somebody you care about. For obvious reasons, there's no 115gr FMJ ammo being dispensed here. The class uses UTM training ammo and every student and instructor is geared up with face shields and body protection. UTM is as close as you can get to the real thing without truly shooting somebody. That's good because I made a bad mistake. Bad: I smoked an HK employee (Riley) because I made several crucial bad decisions. Good: I smoked him with a group that was inside of a quarter. I learned lessons!

Open Hand CQB
Many of the ladies who attended the VIP event quickly discovered that they were at a significant disadvantage by not currently carrying a weapon. As they went through some of the scenario training, all came to the instant conclusion that they wanted to know "what do we now?" This is an aha! moment. And one that all of the instructors and staff were hoping for. Students were making the progressions on their own. So, we did a quick pivot and created a class on the fly. Off to the air conditioned dojo for the ladies to learn how to deal with random turds on the street, potential kidnappers, bad frat boys, muggers and the like. Three hours! And even though the dojo is air conditioned, I can tell you that the exertion level had everyone soaked through. This is where i was the demonstration dummy for the instructor. When I tell you that these ladies got after it, I am not being flip. Strong voices and knowing how to lay hands on the bad guy ramped up fast. My wife got so focused on punching correctly that she wound up with some war wounds on her knuckles as trophies. I will be extra careful to not cross her...

What About Bob?
Heckler and Koch was kind enough to share the legendary Bob Schultz with the HKPRO VIP experience in a mini armorer class for the VP9. Bob has likely forgotten more bits about HK than pretty much any of us can ever hope to learn. He know the history and operation of all of the HK platforms and he has the capacity to calmly and effectively impart the skills needed to service everything that HK makes or made. His teaching style is easy-going and he mixes in historic anecdotes and timelines so that even the most ardent HK fan is satisfied. What may have sounded like a boring way to chill in some AC turned out to be the highlight for many students.

Bucket List
What can we say? Bucket list guns were brought down from the venerated HK Gray Room. But this wasn't just a look and touch thing. These guns, these unicorns, were brought out, loaded up and everyone got to dump mag after mag down range. MP7, XM8... It was kind of a big deal. And there are lots more goodies coming!

But wait, there's more!
HK also gathered up a selection of guns and swag and brought those down for the event. The idea was to have a silent auction to benefit The Complete Combatant. This enterprise is located in North Georgia. Straight up, the liberals are moving in and those liberals are bringing their politics with them. They are trying to shut the range and school down by throwing every legal monetary hurdle (or road spike) in the way. HK enthusiasts bid the items up and many thousands of dollars were generated to help fight the good fight.

tl;dr
This is almost certainly one of the greatest weekend training experiences that you will ever have the opportunity to take. It is expensive. It is exhausting. It is mind-altering and life-changing. To the point that you will absolutely want to bring your family (who are welcomed!). This is an exceptional value and you will not be disappointed. That HK has partnered with us to bring you this experience is the cherry on top. You get to indulge your HK fan boi status, become a better shooter, develop important life skills... and do it all in the ultimate, safe place where making a mistake is not fatal. We hope to see you at the next one!

121 - 132 of 132 Posts