HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A brief video going into the "why" behind not using the technique of loading the MP5 or any of H&K's roller delayed rifles with the bolt forward. There are lots of ways to load a gun, but in understanding the "why", in this case, you can arm yourself with information to make the best choice for yourself.

·
Priest of the P7
5,388 Posts
Another informative video. I didn't know I could be causing damage to the bolt. I shoot a Z5 for USPSA and I usually try to reload with the bolt forward on a round at some point in a stage when it's convenient before I run the gun dry to save time, download the mag a couple rounds. I probably should have an extra bolt with me anyway, but this is another reason to have one on hand.

I shoot the MP5 platform faster than anything else I've ever picked up but, man, reloads can be slow compared to AR pattern PCCs. I totally see why in a two-way range scenario you would want to load on an open bolt. Luckily, my targets aren't shooting at me!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Great information on the "why" to load with the bolt back. I shot a 3-gun competition last month with an AR-15 I built. First two times of loading to fire I had a malfunction after the first round fired. Turned out I had over-loaded my magazines. Just as you pointed out, the first round stripped out and fired but the magazine didn't have enough spring movement to allow the second round to feed properly. It resulted in that second round slamming into the chamber lugs (too high of a load angle),. The bolt actually creased the brass. I lost 35 seconds clearing the gun on a stage with 180 second max time. Fortunately I wasn't in a life or death situation when I learned that lesson. My loading tool was allowing me to cram 32 rounds into a 30 round mag. When I went to the range to sight the gun in and check functioning, I never loaded the mags with the loader, or to capacity. Another reason to "Train as you fight!"

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great information on the "why" to load with the bolt back. I shot a 3-gun competition last month with an AR-15 I built. First two times of loading to fire I had a malfunction after the first round fired. Turned out I had over-loaded my magazines. Just as you pointed out, the first round stripped out and fired but the magazine didn't have enough spring movement to allow the second round to feed properly. It resulted in that second round slamming into the chamber lugs (too high of a load angle),. The bolt actually creased the brass. I lost 35 seconds clearing the gun on a stage with 180 second max time. Fortunately I wasn't in a life or death situation when I learned that lesson. My loading tool was allowing me to cram 32 rounds into a 30 round mag. When I went to the range to sight the gun in and check functioning, I never loaded the mags with the loader, or to capacity. Another reason to "Train as you fight!"
Thanks.
Yep that's a well known issue with the AR and I've seen it when teaching handgun courses too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another informative video. I didn't know I could be causing damage to the bolt. I shoot a Z5 for USPSA and I usually try to reload with the bolt forward on a round at some point in a stage when it's convenient before I run the gun dry to save time, download the mag a couple rounds. I probably should have an extra bolt with me anyway, but this is another reason to have one on hand.

I shoot the MP5 platform faster than anything else I've ever picked up but, man, reloads can be slow compared to AR pattern PCCs. I totally see why in a two-way range scenario you would want to load on an open bolt. Luckily, my targets aren't shooting at me!
Hey! A fellow USPSA MP5er! I am new to this forum, and I didn't see an option to personally message you. So, I run an MP5K in USPSA PCC. Fast MP5 reloads are possible. It just takes a bunch of random hand made parts haha. I polish and fit all the upper sections of my mags to allow them to drop free, and I made my own extended mag release, as well as, my own flared magwell. I have the reloads down to sub 1 second.

·
Priest of the P7
5,388 Posts
Hey! A fellow USPSA MP5er! I am new to this forum, and I didn't see an option to personally message you. So, I run an MP5K in USPSA PCC. Fast MP5 reloads are possible. It just takes a bunch of random hand made parts haha. I polish and fit all the upper sections of my mags to allow them to drop free, and I made my own extended mag release, as well as, my own flared magwell. I have the reloads down to sub 1 second.
Cool. I use the paddle release, so I just pull the mag out since my weak hand is already there, toss it toward the ground, come back up with a fresh one from my belt. A strong side release would definitely be faster. I’m reasonably fast with a mag change so long as I don’t have to screw with the bolt. Most stages at our local matches I can thankfully get through with a 40 rounder.

Reactions: SectorOrd

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cool. I use the paddle release, so I just pull the mag out since my weak hand is already there, toss it toward the ground, come back up with a fresh one from my belt. A strong side release would definitely be faster. I’m reasonably fast with a mag change so long as I don’t have to screw with the bolt. Most stages at our local matches I can thankfully get through with a 40 rounder.
Awesome, 40 rounder is key! Definitely is a bit faster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts