HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was someone here that turned their USP(I think it was a USP40) into a 10mm, this is about 10mm in a USP45 platform.

This is just a theory, but I think a 10mm can function inside a USP45 platform. I say this because;
1. I put a 45acp 230gr ball next to a 10mm 180gr fmj(flat point) and they were practically the same height.
2. I loaded put the USP45 mags with 10mm. They loaded perfect.
3. I racked a round from that USP45 mag loaded with 10mm. It loaded fine.
4. I pulled the slide back to see if the 45 extractor would hold on to the 10mm casing, it did but it was a tight snug on the casing like it normally should. But it did EJECT(with USP45 factory parts).

I think a 10mm will work in a USP45 with these following modifications and parts;
1. barrel fit for a USP45 with 10mm chamber & bore
2. extractor with 1mm more on the tip(to give more grip on the 10mm case)
3. heavier recoil spring. Factory USP 13-14 lbs, so the 10mm might need an extra 4-8 lbs(standard 10mm to REAL 10mm loads= 1300-1600fps).

What do you guys think? If I'm fool of s***, I'd like to know that too(try the function test listed above.
All suggestions, inquiries, advice, & etc WELCOMED.

If someone already wrote this EXACT theory/thread, I apologize. I've been away from the boards for a while!

T

·
0 Posts
I just recieved some 45 ammo from doubletap. 1350fps / 650ft/lbs energy

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
That would be their 165gr. JHP, which is a fantastic round. Even their 230gr "practice" load is a healthy 1010fps with 521ft/lbs. You should really see what they can do in 10mm! Double Tap rounds are what Cor-bons want to be when they grow up...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I knew that Doubletap ammo was fast, but somehow I overlooked the 165gr 45 ammo. Anyway, the price per box is certainly cheaper than 45 Super, with performance coming very close. Now it looks like his 40cal ammo coming out of an HK barrel will be the same velocity as other manufacturers 10mm auto. Something to think about.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No problem. With the Hk45 shooting 45 Super at 28,000 psi, shooting Doubletap's 40cal won't worry me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Speaking of Double Tap..

If they developed a load using the Barnes bullet, a-la Cor-Bon DPX, that would be about as good as it gets IMO.

As far as the USP45 10mm conversion. I'm sure it would be possible, but I would think that anyone who is dead set on an HK 10mm, would just start with the USP40.

It might be sacreligious, but the MK23 in 10mm would be amazing. It could certainly handle high power loads, and should be one sweet shooter.

T

·
0 Posts
I'll fire some this weekend and let you know what happens

650ft/lbs is pretty impressive for a 45acp and on the street, anyone seen
a more powerful 45acp I could buy online?

Looking at the JHP itself the shape is pretty conical (sharp) which
lends to better feeding and penetratrating winter clothing

regards
tgh

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not in ACP. Doubletap is tops in that department. You can get some 45 Super in 185gr hp @1300fps=694lbs of energy though. Go to Buffalo Bore and get a box. I can't find the exact address, so just Google it.

W

·
0 Posts
I'm sure it would be possible, but I would think that anyone who is dead set on an HK 10mm, would just start with the USP40.
Haven't done any measuring of HK40 grips, but, in Glocks, the Glock .40/9mm magwell (they're the same size) won't accommodate a mag that'll accommodate 10mm.

There are some 10mm conversion barrels available for G21s and G30s, but they're not reliable, due to the sloppiness of the 10mm case head in the .45ACP breechface cut and the difference in the 10mm and .45ACP extractors. The G20 extractor won't work in a G21 slide.

Back to .45 Super, etc., etc. Unless you're hunting deer or some other animal about that size, what's the purpose of the 1100fps 230gr. .45 rounds? They're lousy for s.d., and not too pleasant to shoot a lot of at the range.

T

·
0 Posts
Thanks nojoy, can i use the 45 super in my HK45 in its stock configuration?

I also got the doubletap 350gr / 1975 fps / 3000fpe JHPs for my 500mag,

I'll tell the 911 operator to send the police with some plastic bags and a wet vac.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Big Chris used a STI Magazine in his 10MM conversion of a USP 40. It will hold most 10MM rounds. It needed to be modified for the HK's mag release.

A

·
0 Posts
I know there was someone here that turned their USP(I think it was a USP40) into a 10mm, this is about 10mm in a USP45 platform.

This is just a theory, but I think a 10mm can function inside a USP45 platform. I say this because;
1. I put a 45acp 230gr ball next to a 10mm 180gr fmj(flat point) and they were practically the same height.
2. I loaded put the USP45 mags with 10mm. They loaded perfect.
3. I racked a round from that USP45 mag loaded with 10mm. It loaded fine.
4. I pulled the slide back to see if the 45 extractor would hold on to the 10mm casing, it did but it was a tight snug on the casing like it normally should. But it did EJECT(with USP45 factory parts).

I think a 10mm will work in a USP45 with these following modifications and parts;
1. barrel fit for a USP45 with 10mm chamber & bore
2. extractor with 1mm more on the tip(to give more grip on the 10mm case)
3. heavier recoil spring. Factory USP 13-14 lbs, so the 10mm might need an extra 4-8 lbs(standard 10mm to REAL 10mm loads= 1300-1600fps).

What do you guys think? If I'm fool of s***, I'd like to know that too(try the function test listed above.
All suggestions, inquiries, advice, & etc WELCOMED.

If someone already wrote this EXACT theory/thread, I apologize. I've been away from the boards for a while!
I did this conversion way back when the USP hit Anchorage, discovered that my Para-Ord mags would work when modified and the steel mag catch was installed.
Badnews, the gun wore out at under 5k, those foreward frame rails are aluminum!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good theory...problematic starting platform

I looked into this a while back for both the 1911 platform and the USP platform...actually ended up getting a Delta Gold Cup and having a 40 S&W barrel fit to it. Swap out the recoil springs and everything works great. Converting a .45ACP platform to use either 40 or 10mm would involved a lot of custom modification, even if it could be done.

For the USP, I was looking at the Expert and a local gun shop had both the 40 and 45 in stock, and they were very interested in the possibilities, so allowed a little trial to check the feasability. I found that a 45 Expert mag would fit nicely, but not lock in, to a 40 Expert magazine well. Given the comparable lengths of the 10mm and the 45ACP round, it seemed to boil down to a simple matter of relieving the ejection port, fitting a barrel (an H&K Expert 40 S&W barrel with the chamber reamed to 10mm case length would solve that issue quite nicely), and having the 45 magazine lips reformed to retain the narrower 10mm case and slight modification of the magazine body to allow it to lock into the mag well as intended. The Expert project is pending and will proceed when I can get a pistol to modify.

And what I found out should extend to the USP series, in general.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Not to try and get off topic but how can you get that kind of speed out of a 230gr 45acp without it even being +p?

Sorry to hijack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts