HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've had some issues with my 91 retaining one of my two Thermold mags. I've switched off to using the steelies. I only keep the Thermolds for..........well I really don't know why I keep them. :?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The bolt, locking piece, & carrier are usually always imported, however a few people say they have US bolts. They are marked US however. The black plastic lowers are US made. I just looked at my trigger pack & the hammer & sear clearly say "JLD" which is US made. The trunion, barrel, & receiver are always US made. A Thermold mag would put you way over the top. GARY N4KVE
No offense Gary but not quite. From here on out (word on the street is) that PTR will be making their own bolt heads and bolt carriers. Locking pieces are imported. Correct on the plastic lowers, and chances are most of "main" internal trigger components are U.S. made (e.g. hammer, trigger, sear) most cocking handles are U.S. The only garuntees on the rifles (since the company changed from JLD to PTR) are the receiver, barrel, plastic lower, and butt stock. The trunions were essentiall an "epic" failure so they stopped using those until the issues can be worked out. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thermold mag

I bought one at my local FFL and could not get it to lock in. I didn't spend much time with it trying to figure out what was wrong but it didn't work for me.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I keep my thermold mag in the case with the rifle at all times, but I use the steel and allum. mags only at the range. For hunting I use my 5 rounder. If you feel you have a parts problem then keep a U.S. mag with the rifle.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
[QUOTE If you feel you have a parts problem then keep a U.S. mag with the rifle.[/QUOTE]This is great advice. I do this with the MAK 90's I have converted. The US pistol grip & buttstock count for 2 US parts, & a Thermold mag makes the count right. A US mag is cheaper then a US FCG. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kind of an ancient thread, but a couple notes on the Thermold mags for the PTR91.

I picked up two of the 10 round mags recently, and they both needed a bit of work to latch in the rifle. The issue is the area where the magazine latch engages the magazine. It's a rectangular pocket, and the latch drops down in it to hold the magazine secure.

The way they come, that pocket isn't deep enough to securely hold the magazine. It will latch in, but with moderate effort the magazine can be pulled out.

The solution that I found was to deepen the pocket. I used a small bit, similar to an End Mill, vertically in a Dremel to go around the perimeter, then used it parallel to the remaining area to bring it down to the same level. Total amount removed may have been in the area of .015" to .020" to make them latch securely. Other than that, they are easily inserted and removed.

Just a heads-up for anyone planning to try them. I like the overall feel and quality, but I've not tested them for function. I have plenty of the steel and aluminum 20 round HK mags, but prefer something shorter. The 10 round mags are just the right size to be able to inset and remove them easily for me.

20210618_100308.jpg

The 10-round Thermold mags were $15 each.

·
Registered
35 Posts
An update to my previous post.

Had the PTR out with the 10-round Thermold mags this weekend, and they didn't perform perfectly.

The rifle failed to strip the rounds from one of the mags, and the other caused a malfunction. I'm assuming the first is sitting too low, but it's not clear how I can change that. I'll have to take some measurements and compare to a working mag. The steel mags I was using worked fine with numerous types of ammo.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts