HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a parts kit and giving it a go.
my questions is this.

I am a middling to good gun smith. built AR's and AK's.
made my own rifle stock out of aluminum and wood.

really how complicated is it to put one of these together.
I am ****e at welding but got a buddy who is pretty good.
if I purchased a completed reciever am I in for far less headache than trying to bend a flat.
I know I can watch some youtube videos and see it done but I am asking the layman/ home gun smith about doing this as a project.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm building one now - same boat as you. If it's about money - buy one! If you are more into learning (which it sounds like it is) definitely build it. I'm having a blast!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Here's my take. If I could find a COMPLETE kit from years ago with the matching barrel, I would go that route. But if it was a current kit, where you have to get a US barrel, I would just get a PTR. Not much comes in a new kit these days. GARY

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my take. If I could find a COMPLETE kit from years ago with the matching barrel, I would go that route. But if it was a current kit, where you have to get a US barrel, I would just get a PTR. Not much comes in a new kit these days. GARY
I have a ptr right now... but seems ptr seems to be only one that it might be a cost savings.... all the mp5 kits i see are 15-1900 pulus you still need a reciever. there are some cheap ptr kits out right now.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Chew, PTR kits or surplus G3? A running PTR can be as low as $850 factory warranty-new. A fairly used kit plus barrel can be about $400, plus all the parts that go with that to make it compliant, etc. As most will tell you on the Pro, cost savings and HK are not usually found in the same sentence. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts