HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying another C93. With the ongoing gun-buying panic I'm thinking that it's time to get one before it's too late. I bought one and returned it last summer after many failures to extract/eject without a single instance of normal cycling.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Doesn't matta what we think. What matters is what you want. Don't bend to panic rules.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Dude, I'm sure you've read the hundreds of the Century C93 disappearing bolt gap/canted front sight threads, plus your own experience so you know what you're most likely going to get. The best description of a C93 that I've heard is that you'll receive a complete 922(R) compliant parts set. Add a RCM barrel and trip to gilliebear's shop and you'll have a decent HK93 clone.

As far as the "ongoing gun-buying panic", I make it a point to buy what I want, not what might or might not get banned. If you want a 93 clone buy one. Anything beyond that is just feeding the "ongoing gun-buying panic". Good luck with your 93 clone project.

Scott

·
Registered
291 Posts
HK33 kits are drying up. HKParts has them for $495. I bought a c93 direct from CAI, sent it back twice due to poor barrel/trunnion alignment, they finally sent me a new one and this one is fine for a CAI. Buy from CAI (not a dealer), if NFG.. send it back till you get a good one(they pay shipping) or as mentioned above, buy as a kit and have re-built.
Best

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would have sent mine back with the bolt gap at .008" brand new but instead, its going to ghilliebear with a new barrel and I'll be done with it. I have another one that functions with a .007" gap so that will be my play rifle until I can afford to send that one to get fixed too. Since it seems that Century is no longer making these rifles, would they be able to send a fixed rifle or simply put bigger rollers in? Thats my concern.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine came back this past Monday. Serial #just shy of 10k(the one I sent back was mid 8k#). Also spoke to CAI rep who said they were still making these, just doing a batch at a time. YMMV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Be prepared to have to deal with problems with these rifles, just read through this site some. I bought a c93 and was not able to check it out first, that being said I read up on it on this site so I knew what to look for. My gun shot well with only 2 FTE in 120 rounds, but there was no bolt gap. The gun overall pleased me so I decided I didn't want to chance sending it back to Century, so I called Ghillie , bought a barrel and will be shipping it to him very soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Totally Agree with the Shattered one. Don't matter sqaut what WE think just make sure you are ready for possible trouble! Theres plenty of info here on what to expect AND folks that can help you out if it does turn out to be in need of work. I'm still wanting to grab one even though I recently got a Cetme. LOVE the look and feel of the HK33 and a C93 is the least expensive route to getting one. Keep us posted and welcome to the addiction!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The chances of you getting a good one are slim. But lets face it the rifle (maybe not CAI version) is "Battle Proven" and a mechanical beauty. You can either send it to Ghille or Aaron @ SSE and for a bit more money (still overall cheaper than a Vector) get a rugged, reliable rifle. The choice is yours and after the CAI parts kits from Malaysia dry up it may be difficult (and expensive) to acquire. After that soap box speech I'm thinking of getting another...I will definitely get the C93 Pistol for an NFA project!!

·
Banned
848 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the barrels that are on them. They are U.S. made and RCM chambers and flutes them. The guns have good parts just not put together by the best smiths.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Its all good USA made parts will slowly enter the market if there will be demand for it...dont buy into the ...after these no more xxxx will be made...and last ones left etc..If you have money someone will acommodate you..I do not own a century build, but just from what ive read on this board ....pleasse stay miles away from the place.. there are plenty of builders on this board that legally can provide with a rifle that is build by someone that truely loves and enjoy what they are doing and what will stand out in a far more superior product ..If a 100 people say whitney houston smoked crack,thwn she smoked crack that is just how it is.

·
Banned
599 Posts
why would someone even consider buying a firearm from that place?? if 100 people say there builds are worthless its safe to come to the conclusion they are..

·
Banned
599 Posts
The gentleman asks what people think, panic/fear is a state of mind and a great tool to sell whatever the message is. Iam happy you clarified that the barrels your place did work on are not the problem, but if you search this board like mentioned and read the 100+ posts, the people that put them together. I dont smoke crack, drink or use bad language btw..

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Here are pictures of my C93. Before the trip to Jeff and after. I still have less in it than my 33.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Might pay to find a used one if you can get a good price. Then off to GHILLIE and good to go.
I agree with 75bronco about the barrels being good, because mine is still using one and groups around 1" with Lake City 62g Green Tip surplus @ 100m.
It did need a trip to GHILLIE for some work but a barrel/trunnion was not needed THEN.
However if the barrel has been "Turned" or "Polished" by those goons at Century you will need a barrel and trunnion.
This is just like a repeat of '08 with OBAMA PANIC. He might not even win this time (GOD I HOPE NOT)!
Prices went astronomical then and by late'09 early '10 fell back to normal. However he has nothing to lose this time by banning anything and everything IF re-elected.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
346 Posts
Seems like a no brainer to me. You're getting a rifle with a warranty for the price of a parts kit. Even if it needs work by someone like Ghillie, you still have a low priced rifle and worst case you can return it or sell the parts to recoup your investment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My first C93's rear sight was welded on crooked, but otherwise was pretty decent. Sent it back to Century and got a replacement within 2 weeks and has been working just fine. Bolt gap is at 0.11 after 500 rounds. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I've shot plenty of Century guns that have ran fine and have straight sights. It all depends on the person that put it together. For $500 it's a suitable HK clone for what I am doing. I have two PTR's and their quality is top notch. You get what you pay for. I'd buy another one just to have extra parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aww shucks....Buy one. Come on you know you want too! How can you go wrong? I am a huge fan of Ludwig and Thedor and enjoy having a piece of history! It would be like someone telling you that they found 2000 Covairs in sh*tty condition and they put all the parts on a new frame and are selling it "dirt cheap" Come to find out that the frame is bent! I would buy it up and turn it over to a restoration shop and enjoy the hell outta it. In this case its the "smiths" on here that we turn them over too. I guess there are two types: Those who buy it because its a cheap gun and they feel lucky and those who buy it knowing they will probably have it re-built. Either way most people after shooting, holding and dismantling are hooked. That is probably why you really don't see too many "used" ones on Gun Broker (i have been looking). Me....I'm just waiting for the Convertible Corvairs (C93 Pistol) to come out!!!! Then Ill send it out to get re-built!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts