HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about an MK23. I want something different and fun to shoot. Already have an Elite and Expert. I don’t really want something just to collect or as a status symbol.

What are your opinions?

Is the MK23 worth the extra money? Especially if you already have the Expert and the Elite? Is it going to shoot that much better? How do they compare?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
IMOP no the Mk23 is not worth the premium over a Elite, Expert or Tactical....I shoot all those better than my Mk23....I seldom take the Mk23 out to shoot.......but did use it as a wheel chock when working on the Cruiser one day :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Mark 23 is an outstanding pistol. In a class all by itself. Sure it's big
and expensive but worth every penny. Remember, "Size Does Matter".

I would not own a Tactical and a Mark 23 because they are so similiar in
size and function. Yes, a Tactical 45 can do everything a Mark 23 can do,
with a smaller price tag and size. But it's not a Mark 23.

Only a Mark 23 is a Mark 23. The most accurate, mildest recoiling, built like
a tank 45 ACP I have ever fired.

Get one! There are Mark 23s and then there are the rest of the pistols in the
world. It's in a class by itself.

I've put over 2000rds of every 45ACP type round through mine without any
failures or malfunctions of any kind.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
IMOP no the Mk23 is not worth the premium over a Elite, Expert or Tactical....I shoot all those better than my Mk23....I seldom take the Mk23 out to shoot.......but did use it as a wheel chock when working on the Cruiser one day :D
Hey, I could use a wheel chock like that. . . hmmmmmm. . . wanna sell it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my opinion, the mk23 is a pistol only for folks with extremely large hands. As in, if you're not at least 6'2" don't bother. The controls are not ergonomic for anyone with smaller hands.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
It is a big pistol if you have small hands you probably won't care much for it. I like the gun but then again I have big hands. Most of my shooting buddies don't care anything for it. Their hands aren't big enough

·
Registered
870 Posts
I say go with the tactical, I just got one and I LOVE it! The MK23 is great but you don't need all the bells ans whistles! Get a tactical and with the extra money you save get a nice suppressor!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not 6'2" but my Mark 23 fits me just fine. I don't have huge hands, but I have yet to experience any discomfort from firing it one handed or supported. I'll say this much about the reviews though; it is accurate as hell. Before I got mine I read a lot about how accurate and durable it was supposed to be. The first time I took mine out I set up a coke can at 30m and knocked it down with the first shot out of the pistol since factory testing. Yes it costs more than the other wonderful HK handguns, but you won't be disappointed if you take the step.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I want one. I think it is because I have been playing Rainbox Six as of late.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Im only 5'7 but I shot a Mk23 in the service and I wanted one, just to have. ALL HK 45 ACP pistols have a big grip IMHO. The SOCOM grip is no different. It does make an excellent range gun and is alot of fun to shoot. If I carry I usually carry a Colt 1911 anyway..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im 5'8" with average size hands and the Mark 23 fits me great. Yes it is large, but very well balanced, smooth trigger, excellant recoil, awesome to shoot. It in no way feels or handles as large as it looks.

Is it worth it? Yes and no. It is extremely well made, has that fun factor when shooting, and draws attention at the ranges. But I am not able to shoot it any better than my Expert, Elite, Match, or Tactical. I bought it because I wanted it for the cool factor and it completes my collection.

If your willing to spend the money and want an excellant shooter I would strongly look at the Sig 210 or the Sig X-5. If your looking for an excellant shooter and want to stick to HK I would go with the Expert hands down. It is my favorite and the one I always take to the range and to matches.

D

·
0 Posts
What feels Good.

Try it, you might like it. After all ,it is all about feel. First .45 I owned was/is a Sprnfld A1 Operator (sweet piece in my opinion and best overall feel in my hand). Shortly after I helped a buddy select an HK Expert, (he initially wanted a SIG). Felt good enough that I got the bug to get an Elite. Longer barrel throw and elegant target weapon. Then I bought a Mk 23. Holy %*()^#& $#^! Love at first fire. Want to sell my Elite now to pay for laser/light sight.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I also went and read a bunch of the other older MK23 threads.

So to sum everything up about the MK23:

It is a good collectors piece and has a real wow factor.
It is super-reliable and built like a tank. (And it is the size of a tank :)
It is very accurate, but was not intended as a match pistol, but as a combat pistol.
It is very large and may not fit some hands.
It does not shoot $1000 better than an Expert or Elite, but that is not what it is about.
It is in a class all by itself.

Oh and it also makes a great wheel chock for “Earthpigs”.

As I mentioned we already have an Expert and Elite. As for the Sig suggestion (good suggestion), I had previously thought about an X-Five (probably impossible to find a P210), but went with an S&W 952 Long Slide instead (unbelievable gun).

My problem is that I would have to order and buy it without being able to actually hold it. I saw in some of the posts that some of you folks go to gun stores where they have Experts, Elites, and MK23s – where is this? Maybe I will see if I can find one at a gun show to look at.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The most common criticism made of the Mark 23 by Special Forces operators was the size. The gun is very large. As such, most of them favored the USP Tactical in favor of the reduced size and weight.

If your just buying to collect it, go for it. If it's a shooter/HD gun or has any chance of finding it's way into carry duties, go with the Tactical instead. Although the Mark 23's accuracey and match trigger would make for a very nice range gun.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I also went and read a bunch of the other older MK23 threads.

So to sum everything up about the MK23:

It is a good collectors piece and has a real wow factor.
It is super-reliable and built like a tank. (And it is the size of a tank :)
It is very accurate, but was not intended as a match pistol, but as a combat pistol.
It is very large and may not fit some hands.
It does not shoot $1000 better than an Expert or Elite, but that is not what it is about.
It is in a class all by itself.

Oh and it also makes a great wheel chock for “Earthpigs”.

As I mentioned we already have an Expert and Elite. As for the Sig suggestion (good suggestion), I had previously thought about an X-Five (probably impossible to find a P210), but went with an S&W 952 Long Slide instead (unbelievable gun).

My problem is that I would have to order and buy it without being able to actually hold it. I saw in some of the posts that some of you folks go to gun stores where they have Experts, Elites, and MK23s – where is this? Maybe I will see if I can find one at a gun show to look at.
You've summed it up pretty well, but I'd also add:
It's something you buy because you just had to have it.

I think that point addresses 85-90% of mk23 purchases.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have both the mark23 and a usp tactical 45. i love both guns. but imo the mark23 is a better shooter. im a small guy im 5'6 and only 140lbs. i have small hands. when gripped the tip of my index finger barely touches enough to shoot properly. i dont think i could one hand the gun. but the gun feels so comfortable even with its size. i could shoot it all day long. i can out shoot my friends moded para ord 1911.

·
Registered
229 Posts
First time I saw it I wasn't sure why we needed a crew served pistol.

I did some photos with it on various mortar baseplates for fun.

I had my own USP Tactical and used it in place of the 23. I think on all the deployment rotations I saw only one go out by a chairborne S-3 type.

The handling comments above, well, I tried it a few times and found that it was very cumbersome to manipulate. In any situation where I could use the 23, I found that I opted for some form of SMG or Carbine, with a smaller pistol than the 23 for a secondary weapon.

The longer sight radius advantage was overcome by the other problems encoutered with the pistol such as weight and size.

I also never liked, nor understood the reasoning behing the seperate decocking and safety levers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts