HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am currently looking for a handgun to carry concealed. My attention has brought to the P2000. I picked one up earlier today and really like the feel of it. I did have several questions that I would like answered before I make my purchase, which will most likely occur in the next few weeks. I wanted to know what the difference between the v1, v2, and v3 were. From what the guy at the shop told me, at least my understanding was the difference was the trigger? I am new to handguns but from my understanding the SA/DA trigger requires a long trigger pull for the first shot followed by even short pulls for the subsequent shots and the LEM trigger is a constant shorter trigger pull. Is my understanding of this correct? Also as far as caliber, I was originally thinking of .357 but the guy sort of discouraged it because a box of .357 is about 23 dollars relative to the 12 dollars of 9mm and the +p+ 9mm round would perform about the same. He did say that in the end it was my decision as to what I would be more comfortable with but said he personally picks 9mm every time. Anyone have an suggestions or is that pretty much the gist of it? Also as far as concealed carry, I think I am big enough to carry the P2000 concealed as I am 5'10" and about 145 pounds. What holsters do people find most comfortable for conceal carry of this gun? Again I know it is personal preference but I would like to get an idea as to what others think.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long winded post.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Go here for more info on the P2000
http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/p2000_general.html

You are correct about the trigger options. LEM is like DAO and the trigger will not change from one shot to the next. However, if you are used to conventional DA/SA like me then the LEM may feel unnatural for you and thus undesireable.

Choice of caliber is mainly personal preference. I would try both out before purchasing if I could (rent one?). Also, if the cost of 9mm will allow you to practice more than with the .357 SIG then that is something to consider as well, because regular practice and shot placement are primary.

Alot of people like to carry their P2000's IWB (in the waist band) and theres a good number of people here who seem to like the Comp-Tac holsters. Personally, I prefer hip carry in a leather holster for a gun the size of the P2000. I have no trouble concealing a gun this size in a Desantes Speed Scabbard while wearing a long t-shirt and I am built slightly slimmer than you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply H&K 4 Life, Would it be possible for someone to post links to those holsters or can I just google them to find them? As far as holster preference is there something that the Comp-Tac offers that a IWB doesn't? I am assuming a hip holster is harder to conceal during the summer months than an IWB is. I have shot two pistols in my life, a .357 magnum when I was about 14 or 15 and I recently rented a Beretta 92 in 9mm shortly after my 21st birthday so trigger feel is not going to be a huge difference to me as I am not really used to anything other than the two triggers on my shotgun and .30-06.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Just type Comp-Tac into the search function here. I am sure some threads will come up and some will have pictures too. Also, you could just type it into google too and let it do the work for you.

If you are a "clean slate" trigger wise the LEM may appeal to you after all. I have shot DA/SA pistols for too long to get used to the LEM. DA/SA is so natural to me now, and the LEM is so much different from it, that it causes me to have to think about the LEM trigger way too much, something that in a stressful situation is less then optimal. I find must "creep" up on the LEM trigger until it reaches it's apex and fires otherwise my shots are all over the place. I prefer the short stroke of the SA trigger that I can pull smoothly from front to back in a motion that has become second nature to me. I will suffer a heavier and longer DA pull on the first shot if it means getting that crisp SA with every other shot. The change in trigger pulls really doesn't bother me and the consistent unchanging pull of the LEM is a major aspect of the sysem. Factoring all this in, it turned out LEM was not for me. Honestly I would take the heavy DAO pull on my J-frame over the LEM. :D

However, that is my own personal feelings and I know others who swear by the LEM as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My other question was the gun I was looking at was a factory sample priced at ~650 dollars. Is this a good deal? My understanding of factory sample according to the guy behind the counter is the company rep brings it to gun shows and it gets handled so it might be slightly marked. If that is all it means I don't really care if it is marked up a tiny bit if it means a drop in price and still goes bang when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I ended up getting the pistol today. After arriving late to work yesterday and finding out that the owner knew the owner of the gun shop I went back today and the price was cut another 50 bucks as long as I was armed with cash. Fortunately I was and now I own a P2000 LEM factory sample for 600 bucks chambered in a 9mm. I applied for my permit yesterday and hopefully will have it by next month.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dean407 thanks for those websites, I was unaware you could purchase ammo online, I'll look into that for over the summer when I am home and hopefully have time to go blast rounds downrange, sadly after I shoot my gun I will have to store it as I go back to school and am unable to possess it there. Anything I should know about the gun as far as taking care of it or is it all in the manual?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
823 Posts
nice pistol, excellent choice in caliber. All care instructions are in the manual.
That being said, try not to store the gun in the case for extended periods, unless you oil it up real good and put it in a plastic wrapper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrat on the new purchase! Most of instruction on cleaning is in the manual. It's up to you to choose which cleaner and oil you want to go with. I use hoppe 9 (I think that's how you spell it) for cleaning and m7 pro for oil.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to find out more about the proper storage of my gun, I have a rifle and a shotgun and usually oil them before I leave for school each time just so they get a fresh coat, they sit in my closet standing up and look ok, I hope I am taking care of them ok. With that said the pistol is probably the most important gun of them all to me not because it is a new purchase but due to its price and more importantly the fact that if I recieve my permit, which I don't believe there will be a problem obtaining, I will be trusting my life with it should it ever come to that. I do eventually need to get night sights for it but that will come in time. I am pysched, my cousin came home from the Navy on leave yesterday and I think he and I are going to go blast some rounds down range soon.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
You will be psyched even more after shooting it. I love my P2000 (and all of my HKs) as it (they) has (have) never failed me. To keep it in perfect condition when you go away, clean as per the manual using your choice of something for the barrel, inner slide and frame, lube very lightly all metal to metal parts as preparing for the range and apply a thin coating to all metal surfaces of something like a CLP such as Breakfree, FP-10, or any of the multitude of brands of protectant. Do a search on this forum for what folks prefer for cleaning, lubing, and preserving. I really like Eezox for the latter (it's also a clp). I have used it for several years on WW2 and Vietnam War era collectables as well as my HKs and revolvers. Never have I had any rust. Of course don't store in leather or in something that will absorb moisture from the air and hold it close to the gun such as a foam liner of the box it is shipped in. That can cause a problem with time and humidity. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Congrats on a fine pistol and a great deal! Don't let my anti-LEM comments desuade you, these are only my personal views and as I said before I feel I am just too used to DA/SA to fully appreciate the LEM. Practice with the LEM and pay attention to the trigger reset, and most of all have fun!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I put 150 rounds through it last night with my cousin and his step sister. I had a bunch of failure to ejects ~6-7 but that was due to me not holding the pistol correctly. This is the third time I have ever shot a handgun so I need to work on my form but hopefully it will improve over time. The gun was a blast to shoot. My cousin showed me some things about double tapping. H&K 4 Life your comments about the LEM didn't affect me, its understandable to have different preferences, especially when you are used to something. I am extremely happy with my purchase and look foward to many years of use from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to hear your enjoying the gun. I was curious as to if you have ever shot a DA/SA pistol before. Being a clean slate, as H&K 4 LIFE, is a good thing for shooting the LEM trigger.

I myself can't shoot an LEM trigger worth snot, I'm pretty much owned by SA after thousands upon thousands of rounds shooting the USP C&L.

Congrats again. Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
RE: p2000

They are so sweet. I think I'll go get another one. I wish they could make one in 45 though.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
They are so sweet. I think I'll go get another one. I wish they could make one in 45 though.
That always puzzled me. It seems like common sense that HK would make a P2k and P2k SK in .45 at some point. After all thats the only other popular caliber the P2k line is missing. Why HK didn't make one is a mystery to me as it would probably sell reasonably well. Perhaps because there is very little use for a sub-compact .45 in the military/LEO market and thats where the big money is.

If Glock can still make and sell the G36 then why not make the equivelent in a design we all have already grown to love?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I have 2, P2K's one in 9mm the other in 40. I was a confirmed Sigophile and the P2k changed that. It is hideable, easy to get and very comfortable in a Wild Bills No Such Agency IWB.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts