HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought another P7 from CDNN and was going to have it shipped to Tripp for their finishing. I received an email stating they would charge me $55-$65 shipping to me from them. Can anyone suggest another source for a hard chrome finish ?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Im almost sure everyone ships back to you overnight with FedEx or UPS, the rates would be the same in that case no matter who does the hard chrome.

I use Tripp exclusively for all my hard chrome.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Over night shipping is required to ship handguns. It was designed to deter theft and is required by law. When shipped ovenight the "package" is in a constant forward motion,:300000000: thus detering the likely hood of theft......in theory.

So when it comes to shipping your roscoe, prepare to have your bore punched by the shipping firms. $50-$70 bucks my friend each way.

Sad but true.:mad:

·
2,832 Posts
correct its gonna be $50-ish(save a bit as it does not need to be AM just overnight) but if a FFL to FFL can go USPS Priority......but forms and stuff

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
It is NOT required that handguns go overnight. That is not if you use a FFL to ship. Assuming that you have a good relationship with your local FFL dealer they will usually ship for free your handguns for you if you pay postage. Shipping from your FFL to Tripps (who also hold a FFL) using USPS PM is about $10 plus insurance. My FFL does this for free because I am a loyal customer but some may charge shipping fees and maybe a little for logging it into their bound book, but most don't. And no, since it is being returned for "repairs" you do not need to do another 4473 when it comes back.
So, take your pistol down to your gun shop and ask them if they will ship it USPS PM to Tripps. You pay the shipping and insurance and have Tripps return ship it the same way. Cost goes from $50-$100 round trip (which is normal for O.N. shipping using UPS or Fed-Ex) down to about $30 including insurance.
And there are no forms to fill out. The FFL fills out a one-page or less form or states that it is a handgun going to another FFL but the owner does not have to fill out anything. Our shop returned guns all the time to manufacturers for repair or other stuff if the gun was bought in our shop and we certainly did not have to fill out a lot of forms. Log it into our bound book, send it out USPS PM and do their form, which is not much, and then when it comes back log it out when the customer picks it up. It is not a big deal. If the gun was bought in our store we shipped it for free and paid all shipping and insurance.
It pays not to be a stranger to your local FFL dealer.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes, you can ship USPS by FFL. I had this argument with Charter Oak (a certified HK dealer) about shipping a gun back via USPS. They said it couldn't be done regardless of shipping to manufacturer or FFL. So, I shipped it Fed-Ex back to the manufacturer myself...ouch! It wasn't an HK - it was a pocket gun before the slide cracked. However, because of that dishonesty I won't use this dealer. Fortunately, there are 2 other HK certified dealers near me.

But 10 bucks sounds right. An FFL friend of mine, when I lived in TX, shipped for about 15 bucks through USPS back to the manufacturer. Beware of dealers who are making a huge profit by lying about shipping by USPS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts