HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived at my FFL on friday, was supposed to be brand new in box. Spent casing says it was test fired 2/2/2009

Its an HK USP .40sw stainless fullsize. My suspicion is that the factory firing corroded it from sitting on the dealers shelf for several years. What do you guys think? It had definitely been fired as I wiped off powder debris from the inside of the slide (hopefully just from the factory test).

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Arfcom, I think you will find this site a much better place to post about all things HK. I will say again what I said over there. Email Travis at HK CS, send him a polite email explaining everything and find out what they say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just wondering what you guys thought of it while I was waiting to hear back from shoot straight about what they're going to do. A well informed person is better than an uninformed person.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
have you tried to clean it off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did try wiping it down and its definitely within the metal itself.

I just got off the phone a couple minutes ago with Florida's HK rep, and he says they will do an RMA on the gun and try and rework it somehow as its out of production at this point in time. He said HK is on a shutdown for a few weeks as their staff goes to Germany during the shutdown and inventory is done etc. First week in sept I should hear back he says. I'm in no hurry so that's ok with me.

I asked if I should spray the gun down with Rem oil (as I do all my other stainless) and he said it'd be best to keep it entirely as it was when I received it. Kills me to have a gun I know has old powder all in it! ;)

All in all, I am happy so far. They have said they will rework the gun so it looks new and that's all I can ask for. Thanks HK!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thats really odd, i didnt think stainless could have things like this happen. Hence stainless

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Thats really odd, i didnt think stainless could have things like this happen. Hence stainless
It depends upon what type of chemicals are applied to stainless, the grade and type of stainless and the amount of time the stainless is exposed to the chemicals. Not all stainless steel is the same.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stainless steel can rust even with the highest grade SS.

OP, so glad for you that HK responded to your request.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
they will probably take some 000 steel wool and oil and rub it off...............
you will have it back in a few days hopefully.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the slide looked that bad, what did the bore look like?
There's a piece of crud lined along one of the rifling grooves. I thought of taking a picture, but it would be very difficult to capture. I didn't run any cleaner or brush through so not sure if it'll come off. Its been about 3.5 years since it was made/test-fired, does that mean the barrel is toast?

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Did you send just the slide or the whole gun back to HK?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've not seen this on an HK before now. I'm not so sure this is a NIB. Like TBC said, depending in what grade of SS, it can corrode.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Stainless is "stainless" because of a thin and relatively transparent layer of chrome oxide that usually forms on the surface. The layer adheres tightly, and prevents oxygen from getting at the Fe atoms. If something prevents the layer forming, or something removes it, bad things can happen. My experience years ago was that when the layer was removed, the area could pit like mad. Pitting acts like a galvanic cell, and Fe atoms would get transported from the pit and deposited nearby, and then they would oxidize.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Stainless is "stainless" because of a thin and relatively transparent layer of chrome oxide that usually forms on the surface. The layer adheres tightly, and prevents oxygen from getting at the Fe atoms. If something prevents the layer forming, or something removes it, bad things can happen. My experience years ago was that when the layer was removed, the area could pit like mad. Pitting acts like a galvanic cell, and Fe atoms would get transported from the pit and deposited nearby, and then they would oxidize.
Stainless steels contain sufficient chromium to form a passive film of chromium oxide, yes, BUT, a new layer would form if the surface is penetrated. IOW, it's stainless through and through.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts