HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a McWillis thread protector from the Riddle of Steel website on a Tactical .45, its of the highest quality and works/looks fine - it does its job just as its name implies, but how well does it protect the crown of the barrel? http://www.trosusa.com/

I found a company that makes thread protectors that do just that, and its also a bit longer than others - so it protects the barrel crown too. It also has an o-ring to prevent it from coming loose - nice feature, but never an issue with the McWillis working loose - so this is just an added bonus/extra insurance I suppose. Your thoughts at $20?
http://www.autoburst.net/USP45.html

·
Registered
472 Posts
Are you kidding?

Looks like an easy winner at 20 bucks! Extra protection for the crown, stable performance with the O-ring, and the extra length looks better!

Can't lose with that-

ARKAY

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts exactly - Im ordering one this week, the extra protection for the crown and o-ring seem well worth the extra $2...curious about quality...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been meaning to order one of those o-ringed Autoburst thread protectors to replace my old style CCF one. It unscrews itself constantly.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
jfk on this board made some fine thread protectors for me--very lightly knurled and slightly longer than required so as to protect the barrel's crown. The application was for my BW5 SBR and I wanted the OD to be the same as the barrel so that the suppressor would index properly and be secure. It seems that all the others I've been around were too large of an OD and had to be removed to even use a three-lug mount, which caused the threads to get all fouled with carbon.

His prices were VERY reasonable.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Are those $20 units rustable steel or something else. Mark's are stainless steel black oxide coated. I have 8 of his and see no reason to try anything else. And as he just said, the last 3 or 4 I have purchased of his have the wrap around end.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a CCF one with a built in o-ring and spare. I've never shot with the protector on, but it seems to be very well made and serves it purposes as a protector.

To add to the mix, I have a TROS threaded extension to use with a Match Weight. The extension is simple in design but works really well. It does not have an o-ring, but I've never seen any wear or damage to the barrel crown. And the best part, I've never had it work itself loose. Mark McWillis makes a quality product right there.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The TP in the pic above is the old style. For the last year or so I've been making all the HK TP's with the "wrap around" style.
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply! I presently have one of your old style TP, if youre now shipping the new wrap around style, Ill be ordering one from your web sight this afternoon! Im wanting more protection for the barrel crown since I dont use many attachments. Are pictures available on the new wrap around style?

Thanks again for stopping by to post about your new TP!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts