HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a barrel with a 9/16 x 18 thread. I can not find a thread protector let alone a three lug adapter. The three lug adapters HK Parts sells are 1/2 x 28.

Does anyone know where to source the proper adapter /thread protector?

To those who have the three lug: Is there enough sidewall thickness to drill out the threads and tap to 9/16 x 18?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
The OD of a 3-lug is .590". A 9/16x18 is a bit less than .5625" OD, which would leave .016" wall thickness.

It would theoretically not leave you with a very thin coil, but that's really getting close. It would be challenging to tap or cut threads with that thin of a wall without it splitting along the thread root.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll just try to find a threaded cap.

Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have a barrel with a 9/16 x 18 thread. I can not find a thread protector let alone a three lug adapter. The three lug adapters HK Parts sells are 1/2 x 28.

Does anyone know where to source the proper adapter /thread protector?

To those who have the three lug: Is there enough sidewall thickness to drill out the threads and tap to 9/16 x 18?

thats a tricky size you got .
these guys thread barrels and offer custom protectors , one of their offered sized is 9/16x18 , maybe they can sell you a protector or make you one .
Barrel Threading | Sub-Silent Suppressors

as far as 3 lug goes , looks like you might have to cut and re-thread/re-crown your barrel if possible if you really want a 3 lug .
or if you just need something on those threads heres a muzzle brake ...not cheap though , you could probably get
something machined local for that
GUNNERS CHOICE RECOIL REDUCER - Brownells

depending on your barrel length/caliber situation id probably be contacting this guy and just get the barrel worked on and be done
M60Joe
M60Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links. Long term solution is to send it off to get the barrel turned down. I'll have to contact m60Joe to see what that runs. For the short term I'm thinking about purchasing a cheap 1/2 x 28 flash suppressor with a large OD, and drill and tap it.

Once I decide on a can I may see if the company will make a coupler with a custom thread.

Thanks again for the info, I've got some options now.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
What do the Rim Country 93 barrels have as far as thread size/pitch? I assume it is not 1/2-28 US.. although that would be nice. I just dug in my safe and am too lazy to do it again so soon just to try an AR15 flash suppressor on it

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The Riddle Of Steel (TROS USA look under "adapters" on the left at the home page) is a Manufacturer. I've dealt with Mark McWillis. I'd imagine Mark could make you a 3-lug adapter in whatever thread you'd like. I have an AR barrel in .40 S&W. Mark made me a 3-lug adapter in 5/8X24. Good luck with your 3-lug adapter project.

Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott,

Mark said he can make one (4-5 week turn around) for $68! Sounds like a winning solution!

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts