HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USP .40 full-size. When I fire it, I manage to slice my thumb about an inch up from the base of my right thumb. Using the recommended grip, holding my right thumb over the safety, it appears that the slide is managing to bite me.

I obviously need to figure out a better grip that doesn't mangle my thumb and decorate my handgun.

Any advice cheerfully accepted.

Mark Edwards
Arlington, TX, USA

·
Registered
219 Posts
My thumbs never touch my firearm when shooting. That's the way my chl instructor taught me anyway. It seems to work just fine too. It also prevents you from riding the slide release lever which sometimes causes the slide not to lock back on an empty mag. I'm no expert though.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Here's a good article. And if you read it carefully, you'll find a link in the comments right back here.

The Combat Grip

Notice that your thumbs should not actually touch the sides at all.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Loosen your grip. That's what happens when the thumbs aren't touching the sides. You should have a relaxed grip when shooting and the recoil should surprise you so you don't start anticipating. Trust me, the pistol won't fly out of your hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thumbs where they belong, and gunzilla has been tamed. Apparently, she is very particular about how she is to be held ;). I shot over 200 rounds this weekend with nary another bite to the thumb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts