HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Do any of you that use an aggressive thumbs-forward grip on the p2000 have issues with inadvertently hitting the slide catch during firing, thus preventing the slide from locking back after emptying a magazine?

Regards,

AmicusCuriae

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a P30 and I did have that issue when I first started shooting it at the range, towards the end I was able to adjust my shooting hands thumb so it doesnt ride on the lever rather on the base of my support hand thumb

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had this problem with my Sig P228. I just move my right thumb down a little and all is well. I have never had this problem with an HK.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have always used this grip on my pistols. It works fine on my HK45 but does cause the slide to fail to lock back at least every 4th mag on my P30.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I used to with my P2000 but had a problem with the slide not loacking back as I would sometimes ride the slide release. I learned to shoot with a thumb over thumb grip and have not had a problem since. I have close to a 1000 rounds through my P30 and have ZERO issues. The slide locks back everytime and functions perfectly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With the p2000, my right thumb clears the slide release just enough so that I don't hit it. With the P30, I hit it almost every time. I am hoping the slim levels some people have will fix this issue, that is if I can ever get a hold of one.

·
Registered
402 Posts
USPc, fairly consistent on hitting that big old hunk of metal. P2000SK, not so much trouble. P30...I'm still dreaming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, that happens to me occasionally. I never really thought about the cause. I"ll have to practice keeping them away from the slide release.
Thank you.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I learned to shoot with a thumb over thumb grip and have not had a problem since.
I'm with Mark on this. I had this problem, with Sig, P2000 etc. Strong hand thumb is on top of the weak hand thumb now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you use a proper grip w/ your support hand at a good 45 degree angle then you won't have a problem w/ the slide failing to lock back. Just make sure you're at a good 45 degree angle and you have completely filled the open space on the grip panel that your support hand touches and you'll be fine. The strong hand thumb will point forward and ride the part of the support hand that extends behind the thumb instead of impacting the slide release. Both thumbs will be pointing forward along the barrel, the strong hand thumb directly in line behind the support hand thumb, which rides the slide during the entire firing sequence. I use thumbs forward and have at least 20k+ rounds through my various H&K guns all w/ the LEM trigger and have NEVER had a failure to lock back. If you let the support hand get lazy and not properly fill the space on the grip at that 45 degree angle you'll be lucky to only have a failure to lock back 25% of the time. And this experience is with the USPc 9, USPc .45, USP 9, P2000 9mm and P2000SK. Of course to each his own, but one shouldn't change a good thumbs forward grip b/c you're riding the slide lock and end up with one thumb all cockeyed instead of pointing forward along or close to the slide. I think this will adversely effect accuracy and draw speed. Anyway don't mean to be pushy, its just what works for me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So John, just to clarify, you value by a rather high margin then, thumbs forward at the expense of slide staying locked? I have a bad tendency (not as bad as when I first got into the thumbs forward action after my first "real" class), to have my dang left thumb go cockeyed - I think it may be early arthritis or something popping up because sometimes it's worse than others.

Anyway, just to clarify...and no, I didn't find your post pushy. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had this problem

I think you can go to a thumb over grip, and that will solve the problem. I have more success shooting with thumbs forward and wanted to stay that way. I trained on it and just remembered that if my thumb got onto the release the firearm wouldn't lock it, I eventually stopped it. Its just a fine tuning of your grip. Training is everything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts