HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a HK91 IB date code a few months back from a guy that is the original owner and just never used it (or cleaned it apparently). It has some rust on it here and there in hard to reach places (around FSB, in creases etc...). And I was toying with the idea of having it completely striped down and refinished by one of the HK guys and doing the paddle mag mod. My other issue with it is that it has some pitting inside the barrel. It looks pretty rough in a spot about 4-5" from the muzzle. I want to run my SDN6 can on it but I'm afraid the pitting might cause a baffle strike. I really want to rebarrel it with an original HK barrel but I can't seem to find one. I'd hate to screw up the value of the rifle by rebarreling it with a US made barrel but in this case it seems necessary. If I end up going this route I was thinking of having the barrel cut from its original length to 14.5" and having my 51T blackout permantly attached to it. This rifle is a shooter and no safe queen but I have serious reservations about refinishing it and replacing the barrel. If I go with these mods am I going to screw with the value much?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If I go with these mods am I going to screw with the value much?

Refinishing should not affect the value much, cutting down the barrel or replacing the original barrel definetly will. If you want to cut down the barrel and not effect the value you should go with a G3k conversion or just put up a wtb ad here and other forums for a German hk91 or G3 barrel...

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is just my 2 cents, but have you tried Barricade with some 000 steel wool for the outside? It may not help a ton with the pitting, but try some Sweet's 7.62 bore cleaner. It may reduce some of the pitting. As for re-barreling a real HK91, I wouldn't. With the scarcity of true parts for them, it'd be cheaper to clean it up as best you could, then build a new PTR.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
If you really want a G3K then this sounds like the gun for the project ;-).

Between the various rusty spots, does no sound like is a collector grade gun any more. Final test is clean and test shoot for accuracy.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Pitting is called pitting because there used to be metal there and now there isn't, hence the pit. No bore cleaner is going to replace the metal.

PO, since it's a shooter I wouldn't waste money on a refinish or a rebarrel at the moment. The pitting isn't going to cause a baffle strike so don't worry about it. Were the pitting at the muzzle crown, then there's a narrow possibility. I'd can it up and shoot it and in the mean while keep an eye out for a replacement barrel. Look for an original HK91 or a contract military barrel that's in excellent condition. They are out there and pop up frequently. Maybe even post up a WTB ad so some of the HK smiths can see it. They pull barrels to do mods all the time and someone may have one they'd be willing to choke up.
Have fun with the gun until you find a barrel then have the rebarrel and refinish done. At this point you can only increase it's value with some work so don't sweat it.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
If it shoots straight and ain't broke don't "fix it"..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Honestly Ide just say clean it up and get the rust under control. Then take her to the range and see how she shoots. I once had a RC K98 that the barrel and bore was pretty pitted on but it was actually one of my better shooting 98 rifles.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Honestly Ide just say clean it up and get the rust under control. Then take her to the range and see how she shoots. I once had a RC K98 that the barrel and bore was pretty pitted on but it was actually one of my better shooting 98 rifles.

Yup, 1st thing is to see how it shoots. If it is a good shooter I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. It's a good shooter. I can repeatedly hit an ammo can at 100 but I've never attempted to shoot for accuracy on paper with it to see how it actually shoots. I'll do that next time I take it out. Since I'm doing the paddle mag release mod I'm thinking I should go ahead and get it refinished. Having it sandblasted and refinished will get rid of the rust in those little crevices for sure. SBRing it to G3K specs would be pretty cool. It's to bad the pitting wasn't at the muzzle so I knew for sure I could get rid of it by cutting the barrel and still having an original HK barrel on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pitting is called pitting because there used to be metal there and now there isn't, hence the pit. No bore cleaner is going to replace the metal.
I know that pitting is the corrosion and degradation of the metal, and I know that you can't make it go away, but by removing some of the rust inside of the barrel, that can help improve accuracy and appearance. Also, even though this may enlarge the size of your bore if the pitting if deep enough, try lapping the barrel. If the pits are too deep, then forget it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
you need to sell it to me.....

I'll give you fifty bucks....

Just go out there and shoot it and have a good time. These things are meant to be enjoyed and used.

Safe Queens need to go out on the town.

·
1,242 Posts
Sometimes, what you think is pitting inside a barrel is actually just gunk that has built up. The only way to know for sure is to use a bore scope. Lapping the barrel will not cause any further harm, and may just remove the gunk, if that's what it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts