HKPRO Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd at OFR- 50 HK sear deal

12K views 67 replies 28 participants last post by  CZ-75 
#1 ·
So now Todd has eight of the fifty sears left at $12,500, which is a whole lot more than I anticipated. If he gets commitments on these he can do the deal. I assume that most of the buyers will be speculators. If we return to CZ-75's Economics 101 supply and demand graph, do you predict that we may have some increase in supply and that demand will remain constant, thus causing the fall in sear price that I predict is coming. If I am wrong, the first one who reminds me on Dec. 31st 2009 gets dinner on me!
God Bless,
Pyro Mike

#2 ·
I've said all along that there is a theoretical limit to what people will pay. Have we reached it? I'm not sure. The price of that ORF buy seems to be "on the believable side", considering the market at this time.

#5 ·
Here is Todd's latest post on the deal: http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=97678

For those who prefer to see without making the jump:

Guys,

I have 8 spots left for the 50 sear pack deal. Need some buyers. These are SH mfg sears installed in Hk SEF steel lowers. Deal is gonna wrap up around the end of the year and money will be due around the first of the year in full. Email with any questions, but I think most have been answered on the various sites.

1 SH sear installed in a steel SEF pack no ejector, ejector spring, or ejector retaining pin included $12500.00 ea plus SH F3 from OH

TGrove1293@aol.com for questions Thanks Todd

Rapid Fire​

1285 Archer Dr​

Troy, OH 45373​

#7 ·
Imagine how pissed they will be, when the Supreme Court decides there shouldn't be any restrictions, according to the 2nd Amendment, on the type of guns and all the old and new guns in the market become civilian allowed.

Be Safe
Gayle

Imagine how pissed all the sear owners out there that paid $8 to $13K for their sears are when the Supreme Court outlaws "outright gun bans."

Its possible with the currently being heard "Heller vs. DC" case.

#8 ·
That would be great because I would be able to have more & newer machineguns at a cheaper price but it will never happen. As far as loosing our NFA rights it is allways a possibility but we have a long time to go before that would possibly happen & I would be more worried about the US going into a recession.

#15 ·
I could see in the future maybe a change in the bill. Once the prices get into the 20-25k range there's going to be enough people who would rather spend that same amount of money trying to make a case out of it, who knows how they would approach it but anything is possible.

#26 ·
If I had the money I'd grab one of these sears without hesitation or thought of an investment, the fact of the matter is most of these people who buy their sears love them and it's the satasfaction of having for lack of a better word "toy" (yes I realize guns are not toys). that they can have fun with. It comes down to the fact that IF you have the money, most people don't, therefor they think purchasing one would be completely insane. But the thing is, plenty of people do have the money to buy a sear and will buy one not expecting a return on it in profit but expecting a return in their sense of enjoyability of their HK firearms. If they feel that their sear brought them 13 thousand dollars worth of enjoyment then they really did not take a loss on their sear, and gained a piece of equipment that very few people will own or have the chance to enjoy.

Thats my 2 cents.

#32 ·
What percentage do sears go up each year? 1%-2% at best on a sear that is not an investment. You can find investments out there that make 10%-12% a year. With those numbers I certainly do not see it as an investment. Like some of the other members have stated before, we all buy cars that for the most part depreciate in value. I look at the firearms collecting as a hobby not an investment. How many people bought “pre ban” ar’s during the AWB only to see them worth less than they paid after the AWB set.

#33 ·
Sears in the past 4 years HAVE gone up about 10% per year. I wish they were only a 1-2% inflation/ year. Bought mine 3 years ago for $8800, today the average price is about 13000-13500. That's a damn good investment in my book... but I bought it because I needed it for my habit and hosts. :41: At the $12,500 that's a relative "good price."

#56 ·
Then I stand corrected on the rate of appreciation of a sear. I wonder what the rest of the market has done (M16's, Uzi's, Mac's, etc). All I'm saying is that like allot of the other people who buy NFA items I believe the majority of us buy the item for fun and not investment. Looking back when I passed on a sear and a host for $3300 now I can say that was dumb, but at the time I would never have thought that prices would be where they are today. I just looked at it as I will pick one up later.

#36 ·
It is a hobby

I wish I had purchased a few years ago when I first wanted my MP5. It was only $12,000 and the price has gone up to $19,000 since then.

I bought it because it was something I wanted to have and shoot. If you buy it for an investment.. you should NEVER shoot it in order to keep the value up.

Mine was test fired only and was in brand new condition. I plan on keeping it like new but plan on also shooting it when I feel like it.

If the 1986 gun ban was lifted... I am the 50% that would go out and buy more at the new lower price. It would hurt to know I paid so much originally but it is only money. I would now have access to even more guns for my collection.

#40 ·
investment and appreciation are two different things when discussed in these contexts.Nobody knew they would go up that much from back when they were $50.I would do the same as you suggest in many areas.For instance that farmland that just sold for $1M an acre that "those poor ole farmers worked for so many years in their family".Or that old Ferrari that was only $2000 and is now a $10M car,or on and on.
And if you answer that there are only a fixed number, so it had to go up,then there is still a fixed number so they should continue to go up.Right?Twenty years from now they may even triple from where they are now.Better get on board now while they are a future bargain at $12,500 while you got that cash handy.Seriously.
Its hard to say where they will land.But at the same time I dont know anyone who doesnt take theirs out for a spin on any occasion they can.And to me thats the difference between investment and appreciation.

"Johnny bought a sear as an investment in hopes of it appreciating" or "Johnny uses his [sear] investment with appreciation" lol...

#45 ·
he was hardly busting your balls. People bought their sears without investment in mind and IF they took a loss on it then they'd hardly be upset about it. But people are not just going to give somone a sear and willingly take what could be a 13 thousand dollar loss on a piece of equipment for no reason.

There is a difference between buying as an investment, and your purchase appreciating in value.

#50 · (Edited)
There is a difference between buying as an investment, and your purchase appreciating in value.
Re-read some of the other posts:

Renegade - Of the hundreds of NFA owners I have met and talked, I have NEVER met ONE who was "motivated by a large degree, anticipated price appreciation".

am94pm - What percentage do sears go up each year? 1%-2% at best on a sear that is not an investment...With those numbers I certainly do not see it as an investment. Like some of the other members have stated before, we all buy cars that for the most part depreciate in value. I look at the firearms collecting as a hobby not an investment. How many people bought “pre ban” ar’s during the AWB only to see them worth less than they paid after the AWB set.

These are the kind of comments I was responding too. No question that there is a difference in investing in something with the expectation the value will change by a specified amount and simply buying something and having it appreciate in value unbeknownst to you. I think everyone here is pretty smart and I highly doubt all NFA owners that have bought a sear since 1986, bought it purely as a hobby and had not at least considered the price appreciation aspect as stated above.

If somehow the above was true, I was simply commenting, that I'd purchase a sear from one of these people if they were interested in selling their sear. Simple as that. I never believe anyone that says they're only in it for the hobby or they never considered the value may go up. If your into HK and NFA, that requires a bit more knowledge and dare I say, common sense than the average person that might only have a red rider BB gun, or a lorcin, or a Glock. I never expected anyone to say, duh, I'll sell you my sear for $800. Come on now. (I know some people think I'm stupid, but do you guys really think anyone is THAT stupid?)

I'd still like to know why someone would offer a batch of sears at $12.5 each if the going price is $14.5? It sure seems to me like the going price isn't really $14.5 then. But, what do I know.

#46 · (Edited)
To think FA buyers have renounced the dollar and good ole American capitalistic greed is absurd. Anybody the buys FA without considering price appreciation is either a liar or too drunk to remember the thought entered their minds. Of course they purchased it for fun, most will be pretty disappointed if sear prices plummet. Why? they never considered the price would drop. They assumed the prices would continue to increase.

Kinda reminds me of some of the home buyers over the last few years. Honey, we better buy our "dream house" now before prices get too high. It will be a good "investment." Oh, but we we didn't buy our home for an investment, we bought it to live in it (even though they were counting on retiring on the sale proceeds in the future at age 75).

#48 ·
Regardless why anyone bought their class 3 weapons , it is still better than buying a boat , motorcycle or any other fun thing that will be worth a hell of alot less than the original cost was. I did not buy my sear to make money but I did know it was a toy I could buy & use & get my money back out of but it was not an investment. If you think a HK sear is too expensive , the ATF will knock on your door on christmas morning to inspect your weapons or Hillary is going to take your guns from you then should not buy one , it is really that simple & if anyone thinks that I should sell them my house or sear that has doubled in market value to them at yesterdays prices needs to go back to school or has sear envy.

#49 ·
Let me put it another way.If the price on sears in one day/week/year crashed like the stock market did,I would still not be in a panic to get rid of it because it is now worth half or less or however much.I bought it because it is a tool to be used to shoot Hks F/A.That is what I wanted it for then and that is what I want it for now.Thats how I see it.

#54 ·
I really don't see what the big deal is, he's selling 50 for 12.5k. When you sell in quantity you reduce the price. This is how wholesale works, but instead of 1 buyer he has 50 all selling at the same time.

If he sold them one at a time he might have been able to get 14.5k for one of them. After that it'd become evident he had a stockpile of them.

#57 ·
I don't know were some of you folks are getting your numbers from. In 1997 I could buy an M16 for $2,500. They now sell for well over 10K. Thats 400% in 10 years, or ~40% per year. 1 to 2% is a dream; maybe stuff has only gone up that much in the past 2-years since prices seem to have stabilized.

#58 ·
I do not know where you get your numbers from, or your math. :)

$2500 -> $10000 in 10 years is 300%. or just under 15%. Here is a chart:

1997 2500
1998 2872
1999 3300
2000 3792
2001 4357
2002 5006
2003 5752
2004 6609
2005 7594
2006 8726
2007 10026

Only rises to 18% in order to get to "well over 10K".

#62 ·
Guys,
WOW, you get into some discussions here huh? Man o' man. I read page 1-4 skipped to 6 and ended up here. Well anyways I need 4 more buyers on my sears. I have guys that will take spots only if needed, to clear up the fact that "what happens if someone does not pay theory". Why is my customer selling, cause he has sat on these for awhile and wants to move into another project, plain and simple. Deals been extended a bit with whats happened in my life, wedding, honeymoon, etc. Were looking to close it end of the year first of next, everyone will be notified via email. Money will be collected, then wired to my customer, he'll transfer to me, then I will transfer to the buyers. Yes thats gonna take longer than a standard transfer and thats why we decided that the price be under market value by a decent sum of money to make it worth while to the buyer.

Todd@ORF

#65 ·
Todd has responded

Can we kill this thread or move it to the investment forum? The mindless banter comes close to those ad comments that are not desired either.
We view this thread to see if there is an update not to seek financial investment advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.