HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new PTR 91 and recently tested it at the range. All my 20 round HK mags, both aluminum and steel, fit way too tightly and practically have to be pounded into the mag well and pried out. I contacted PTR and they said the mag well was made into specs, although on the small side. They warned me that altering the mag well could void the warranty. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I agree. It shouldn't do that and their answer to you is unacceptable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the reply i received from PTR:

As for the magazine fitment, there is a manufacturing tolerance for the width of the magwell. We maintain a magwell width that is on the lower side/tight side of the manufacturing tolerance to ensure tight mag fitment, and proper feeding. Due to this, it's not surprising that the magazine fit on your PTR is tighter than that of your friend's HK. It is definitely not recommended to do any filing on the receiver. You can spread the width a bit with a pair of pliers (insert into the magwell then pull the handles apart from each other to spread the sides of the magwell), but I would recommend leaving the magwell as is. If you do choose to go this route, please keep in mind that any modification to the receiver can potentially void the warranty.

Best Regards,
xxxxx

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. My PTR-91 GI has accepted any of the surplus HK aluminum and steel mags I've put in it, without any real problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It could just be a tight mag catch spring that needs to wear in. If you're unhappy, call them and ask to send the gun in for inspection.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My PTR while tight doesn't require anything unusual to get the mags in or out.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
PTR is making the assumption that the rifle is just as it left the factory when in reality they don't have any idea if it is or not. What they are telling you may be true but the point is that the rifle isn't correct NOW. Demand they inspect and repair the rifle or have someone with knowledge fix it. It's actually an easy fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts