HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All went well, until one of the guys loaded my USP 40S&W with 9mm. One round shot through it. It didn't automatically eject the spent shell, but did when I stepped in to see what was wrong and manually cycled and ejected. Question is, how bad did having a 9mm shot through my 40S&W barrel on my USP Full size mess up the barrel? Is it safe to shoot again? The ammo was S&B target lead ammunition.

Thank you,

MaxMax256

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
How did it even ignite the round ? You can drop the whole unfired cartridge of a 9mm out of the muzzle from the chamber of a 40 S&W . You couldn't have had much a gas seal to build up enough pressure to hurt the barrel . Hmm...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whenever I go shooting with "non-gun people", I'm always very, very (!) careful to watch exactly what they're doing and make adjustments as necessary.

Hard to do in a group of several people, I know. Probably best to only have one or two inexperienced guys out at a time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It fired and the shell casing expanded at the top to fill up the chamber. I am thinking that 9mm bullet must have bounced up/down - side to side all the way down the barrel. I am just glad that this happened to my regular USP full size and not my Match or Tactical. I am just worried about future safety though.

Best regards,

MaxMax256

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed on watching everyone. I should have had rented just one lane instead of two at the range.

Best regards,

Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
it was less than .045 of an inch different, really do not see it being a cause of much, if any, damage. doubt the round had much spin on it though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You're barrel is probably fine. Of course have a gunsmith take a look but usually not a big deal and actually a fairly common occurrence among new shooters. I seen some one who had shot a mag of 9 through a 40, and couldn't figure out why their weapon wasn't cycling properly of why the brass looked funky. Barrel was fine though.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Took some work colleagues shooting.... 9mm through 40S&W USP

I hosted a few lanes for my German group to come and shoot my guns - some brought their own, but most were completely foreign to the concept, pun intended. It was exhausting making sure everyone was making the proper safety precautions. I wouldn't last a day as a RSO.

Your barrel is likely perfectly fine. Keep in mind the USP 40 was the gun they intentionally bulged the barrel, then ran accuracy tests. A little extra gap of a lead projectile exiting ain't gonna do a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk HK, probably while driving.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
That is totally harmless to the gun. It fired because the extractor holds the round in place. You could do that all day long and it wouldn't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way to take it up a notch MaverickH1. That is clear and concise. Thank you!

I love this forum.

Best regards,

MaxMax256

1 - 13 of 13 Posts