HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an SL8/G36 conversion on gunbroker done by top notch parts. Does anyone have any dealings with them? Are they reputable?

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
They did the G36 magwell conversion on my SL8 and my USC to UMP conversion, and I'm satisfied. Both shoot and look fine.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Last I knew the TN conversion used AR mags. If you want to use G36 mags you'll need to go a different route.

I've heard mixed opinions about the TN conversion. I guess it's all about how picky you are on the final fit/finish and overall appearance.

For me personally, the gun is an HK... one of the finest firearms on the market... I am doing my conversion slowly, spending a little more money and making sure the final conversion is of the fit/finish/quality of a factory HK firearm.

I'm doing all of the conversion myself but if I were to have it done, I would probably call Ed over at HDPS http://www.hdps.org as I have seen his work and it is phenominal.

If you're interested in DYI, there's a company local to me that's in the process of finalizing their U.S. compliance parts... should be ready to market by mid-Jan '08. I can pass your contact info over to the owner for when they're ready. Just send me a PM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the pic on the listing shows it with a G36 mag so im assuming that its a g36 magwell. I just dont know how to feel about them becuase the price is almost too good to be true at 2400.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Are you talking about HDPS prices or the TN conversion on Gunbroker?

I just checked the HDPS website and didn't see any G36 conversions priced other than the breakdown of work. Not 100% sure if he sells them already converted or if you have to send him an SL8. Again, better to call or email him to verify.

Ask around, Ed has a solid reputation and his work is top-self. When I bought my SL8 the local dealer had one of his conversions on the wall... it was prestine! I chose to buy the base SL8 and convert myself just to same some $$. If you're talking about $2400 for a TN conversion, that's probably not too far off since you can pick-up an SL8 for around $1800-$2000 and the TN kit I think costs around $400.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Also, post a link to the Gunbroker page... some AR mags ARE clear and look like G36 mags, which is what you could be seeing. I have also heard that some people have been modifying the TN magwell to accept G36 mags. If this is the case, be careful as the TN conversion, to my knowledge, it only compliant when using U.S. made AR mags. Using a "modified" TN conversion with G36 mags would require you to have U.S. made follower and floorplates.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
PM sent.

For others interested, the company is still in it's testing phase. All their compliance parts should be ready by mid to end Jan '08. I'll post a thread with contact info when the owner is ready for market.

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
Last I knew the TN conversion used AR mags. If you want to use G36 mags you'll need to go a different route.
TN also performed conversions that used the G36 magwell, so what I have is a G36 magwell conversion done by TN, not the TN (or is it really SW?) AR mag conversion.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
ATTN: KSP850

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86893176

Thats the one on gunbroker, i was wrong on price but still does not seem bad.
From what I can see, here's what you 've got there...

1) SL8-1, not an SL-6, which means it was dyed black as part of the conversion. The mfg marking locations on the left side of the receiver are as those of an SL8-1. The SL8-6 has them in a different location.

2) The magwell is indeed a G36 magwell and indeed uses G36 mags.

3) The stock and pistol grip are the TN conversion parts.

4) The sight rail is an SL8-1 rail that was cut down to G36"C" size - very common modification so not a big deal to have as long as the cut is clean, but it look to be ok.

5) Note the difference in color/sheen of the G36"K" handguard. Looks as if it was spray painted with flat black. Hard to say for sure from a photo but might want to keep that in mind or ask a question to the seller.

6) The "window" left my the receiver milling isn't covered

7) The "ACOG type" red-dot scope is probably an airsoft gun sight -- I've searched forever for an ACOG knock-off and the only ones I could find were inexpensive airsoft quality optics.

8) No way to know if it meets 922(r) requirements for parts count. As shown, the gun would need 4 more U.S. parts. In that configuration, the most common are a bolt-head, gas piston, follower and floorplate. You'll need to verify with the seller.

Ok, so back to your orginal question know that we have an idea of what you are looking at.

An SL8-6 would run you about $1700-$2000. The TN stock and pistol conversion the last I checked runs about $250, a G36 magwell is about $65, to have the sight rail cut down runs about $25, to mill out the receiver to accept the G36 mags run about $85 and a G36 mag will run you about $55. This does NOT include the 4 additional U.S. parts you will need which can run you anywhere from $150-$250 depending on where you get them.

Do the math... $2700 isn't a bad price if the gun is brand new and inclided the 4 additional compliance parts. If it's used then the price seems a bit high.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are the four additional parts needed? Please walk me through this law mumble jumble. It all seems so difficult and precise on which parts have to be what and who can do it, lol. This is entirely too difficult! Damn government and its laws.

So is there anywhere I can read up on this law like the atf's website or other link? If anyone has one please post it or if anyone can explain this stuff in kinda easy way to understand for this newb first timer thatd be awesome!

I appreciate all the help!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
The ATF regulation for the imported parts count is listed in regulation 922(r). You can Google it or search the ATF website http://www.atf.gov. It essentially lists 20 parts that the ATF has identified for the manufacturing of a firearm. In order to make modifications of an imported rifle (or shotgun), the final assembly (including magazines) can not contain more than 10 imported parts listed in the 922(r). Hence you must replace certain parts with U.S. parts (if available).

There is an exception. If you register the rifle as an SBR (short barreled rifle) then the 922(r) regulation does not apply. Unfortunately, some states do not allow residents to own SBR's. You'll need to check specifically with your state legislation on SBR's. I'm not an expert on SBR registration (as I reside in a state that prohibits them) but you can find more information on the ATF website.

The SL8 as it is imported contains 15 of the 20 parts. So, with respect to the TN conversion you are looking at, the 4 parts that are not visible (that are the MOST likely to have been exchanged) are the bolt-head, gas piston, magazine follower and magazine floorplate.

I urge you to verify the imported parts count BEFORE you purchase ANY converted rifle or shotgun. Even then you are responsible to ensure its accuracy once you take possession.

·
Registered
172 Posts
TN did the conversion for my USC/UMP. The worst part of the experience is the wait-time, 13 weeks for mine. I used two of his compliance parts (folding stock and trigger) and bought 3 mag baseplates from HDPS for the third compliance part.

With that said, the gun did come back to me with a problem stovepiping the rounds. I tested it with different ammo, sent it back to Wade at TN and got the gun back two weeks later. It has functioned perfectly ever since, I've put probably 400-500 rounds through it so far.

If you are capable of doing the work yourself then I wouldn't hesitate to order the parts from TN, but I don't know if I'd send him any more business, only because it'll take you 3 months to get the gun back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So let me try this senario. I live in KY so I could get a weapon with any number or imported or US made parts and call it an SBR, then register it on a class 3 form under a corporation or LLC (to avoid finger prints and LE letter) ? Does that seem to work?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
So let me try this senario. I live in KY so I could get a weapon with any number or imported or US made parts and call it an SBR, then register it on a class 3 form under a corporation or LLC (to avoid finger prints and LE letter) ? Does that seem to work?
If KY allows you to have SBR's, then from what I understand (again, verify with your state and ATF), yes. However I'm not sure about the "call it an SBR" if it's really not one. If you're NOT going to actually make it an SBR, you'd probably have less hassle (and around the same cost) just getting the U.S. parts (assuming it doesn't have them already). The whole real idea behind registering as an SBR is so you can have as close to a genuine G36K or G36C conversion - using all genuine HK parts.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you're NOT going to actually make it an SBR, you'd probably have less hassle (and around the same cost) just getting the U.S. parts (assuming it doesn't have them already).
The ATF Tax Stamp on the SBR would be $200. Compare that to the cost of compliance parts and you're coming out ahead by going the compliance route. The only redundant parts on my UMP that I had to buy for compliance was the trigger ($30) and the mag baseplates (3x$9). If you aren't going to actually replace the barrel, it's not worth the extra cost and hassle to go the SBR route IMO.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
I have to agree with Jimmy, compliance would probably be cheaper. In the case of the TN SL8 however, you'll need four (4) of the following parts...

1) Bolt-head
2) gas piston
3) Trigger
4) Operating rod
5) floorplates
6) followers

Again, find out what already comes in the gun as the seller may already have the parts in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can not speak to the SL8 modification but if is anything like the USC modification I would stay away from it. I purchased the USC-4 from Top Notch, in cold weather the upper jams in the rear of the gun. Top Notch told me to loosen the screws a 1/4 turn? Not on one of my guns! I am stuck now with a fine HK gun with brass shims that fall out when disassembled!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts