HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 3rd Gen Glock 23 w/ Trijicons and an extra 9mm barrel. Thinking about trading it for a HK USP 40 Compact. Was wondering if you guys could just take a quick look at a couple pictures and tell me if you think it's worth it. Owner is 2nd owner from what I've gathered so he doesn't know the round about round count. It has Meprolight Tru-Dots on it.

HK 1
HK 2
HK 3
HK 4

I'm expecting SOME bias but do you guys think it's worth it? :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like you may end up with the better end of that deal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So even though the USP 40 Compact is older, you think doesn't show signs of being shot too much? Barrel and slide don't show much wear to me (no more than my Glock with 500 rounds) but I'm not familiar with how HK's age. In terms of resell value, y'all concur that the HK will hold it's value better?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would jump on that with two feet. The HK will hold a better resale value and will hold up better than the Glock. The HK will also take more abuse than the Glock. 5000 rounds is just beginning to break a USP in. You will come out FAR better in that deal.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I could very well be wrong but I don't think that USPc has seen over a 1000 rounds and I would actually say 600-700 rounds. I would get that ASAP if I were you. It's worth almost twice what that Glock is.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
What else comes with the USPc? (case, mags, etc.) Are the Meps still bright? You also have to figure if you want to upgrade to the new firing pin and other parts with the HK. If it's me though, I'm doing it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
So even though the USP 40 Compact is older, you think doesn't show signs of being shot too much? Barrel and slide don't show much wear to me (no more than my Glock with 500 rounds) but I'm not familiar with how HK's age. In terms of resell value, y'all concur that the HK will hold it's value better?
For a 1998 it looks great. What you will notice with a lot of HK's is that they don't tend to get shot a lot with most owners. Now if you are buying from someone with the username gtmtnnbiker98, that's a different story!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gun comes w/ 3 mags and the box. He says the sights are still bright but I'm nowhere near him to confirm that. We're meeting half way (which is an hour away) on Saturday if I decide I want to do this. I thought it looked fairly low round but again, wasn't sure.

I do plan to swap the firing pin eventually if I do get it, guess I'll avoid dry firing until then. haha

Also, chopperduke, what makes you say it will take more abuse than a Glock? I'm not doubting the HK is tough...but the Glocks are VERY well known for firing under any condition...o_O

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do it! I own 7 Glocks and I have carried them for years, but that is a great trade. There is no substitute for a nice HK..:780:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I would make that trade all day long and twice on Sunday!
THIS ^
I say ANY Glunk for ANY HK is an upgrade, no matter how you slice that pie! :43:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've owned/carried a Glock 23 with night sights for over 15 years and shot thousands of rounds through it with no failures whatsoever (even with very neglected cleaning) - it is a great reliable gun. That said, as soon as I got my USP 45, I gave my Glock 23 to my wife and never looked back. Though you have a great Glock, I would still trade it for the HK for all the reasons others have mentioned above.

One thing though, has the HK owner said why they want to trade it? Seems like a lopsided deal to me and makes me wonder if there's a problem, but I'm a skeptic. Used guns can be a scary investment... I have bought two at gunshows that seemed in great condition, only to bring them home, take them to the range and find serious problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He didn't say exactly why he wanted to trade. I never really saw the deal as lopsided considering he's getting a gun that can shoot 2 calibers.

The used part does scare me a little...what kind of issues might I find in an used HK?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Caliber.666 is probably right - because it is an HK, it is probably fine. Just as an example though, and yes, this is a completely different gun, I bought a Colt Mustang Plus II Government model many years ago. It is basically a mini-1911, almost an exact copy, but smaller than the Kimber Solo 9mm, and in .380ACP.

Anyway, it would fire one round and go back into battery, but the hammer would already be dropped down again (with a fresh round in the chamber) instead of being cocked as designed to operate. Big problem, could cause gun to malfunction and go full auto. Turned out to have a broken sear that I couldn't detect when I examined & field stripped the gun before buying it. I searched for years, but a replacement sear could never be found. I have a couple of other different exapmpes, but I won't bore you because none of them were HK's - woe is me for buying them in the first place.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Also, chopperduke, what makes you say it will take more abuse than a Glock? I'm not doubting the HK is tough...but the Glocks are VERY well known for firing under any condition...o_O
H&Ks were designed to be tanks. To be ridden hard and put away wet. They will eat +P+ ammo and smile all day long. I have personally witnessed more than one Glock extractor fail. I have never seen an H&K extractor fail. Ever. I've carried many iterations of Glocks on duty (19, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27 and 35) and guess what the off duty carry gun maker is? It's not Glock. I was able to afford an H&K and that's what I put my life behind.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
H&Ks were designed to be tanks. To be ridden hard and put away wet. They will eat +P+ ammo and smile all day long.
....AND even fire AFTER being run over by a tank as well. :43:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts