HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot Da/Sa pistols for decades. I carried a USP compact for several years then went to the p2000sk. Then Glock came out with the g43 and I really liked the size for a Ccw. I had some trouble at first acclimating to a striker fired gun. But, I did get comfortable with it it and could get decent accuracy as long as concentrated on what I was doing. When shooting for fun I still have a tendency to shoot slightly left. Anyway, the Glock thing is losing its magic and I'm shooting my H&K's again. I'm really thinking I will like the p30sk in v1 trigger variant. I have dry fired it a few times but have never actually fired one. Do you guys think it will be a major TRANSITION all over again?

·
Registered
23 Posts
At first it might feel a little strange going from striker fired gun. After a little shooting u will get used to it. If your like me every time I shoot my HK's I'm always amazed at how accurate they are.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It certainly is a transition for me. I'm just more accurate with strikers, but I like hammer fired guns. Just need more trigger time with the hammers to get the accuracy I achieve with the strikers. Like everything else, more practice- more practice- more practice. I'm sure you will be fine with time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I go back and forth between strikers and hammers all the time, especially with LEM. I do notice that it takes me a bit to re-acclimate to the long trigger pull of the LEM, but after a couple of magazines I'm good to go.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is every trigger pull as long as the first? I thought I read somewhere that the trigger reset shortened the long pull some for follow up shots.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Is every trigger pull as long as the first? I thought I read somewhere that the trigger reset shortened the long pull some for follow up shots.
as long as you pin the trigger and do not release all the way, then the reset is short and the take up is short

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Shoot enough with the gun you will feel which gun to which trigger you are shooting. Mk 23 to a five seven is pretty different. A five seven is a lot like a stock scar trigger. Mark 23 is like a p30. I hate glocks and their nub on the trigger.

·
Registered
332 Posts
the 1st transition that would concern me is the mag release . my primary CCW is the USPc 45, it stays my primary for EDC . i'd hate to find out the hard way that my g19 doesn't have mag paddles .

the 2nd transition is going from strike to condition 1, pick one platform for your primary EDC . sounds to me you're very familiar with H&K and DA/SA weapons, grab some ammo and hit the range .

i wouldn't mind adding the p30sk to my BUG collection .
good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
No one can answer that question but you.
Rent/borrow if you can.
LEM is not for everyone.

Personally, the transition for me was effortless.
In fact I've converted all my Hks to LEM.
Including a NIB USP Elite 45!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I have access to one to fondle and limited dry fire. It's new and is a VERY early production model and the owner is reluctant to shoot it. I have a p30 V3 and it by far fits me better than any handgun I've ever held. The p30sk feels as good. It is light years ahead of my p2000sk at least for me. As for the magazine paddles that's no problem, I'm comfortable with and prefer it over the button release. A local dealer has a V1 in stock. I'm smothering a little and each time I experience this it usually is expensive!!!! :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I didn't have much of an issue transitioning to the LEM, but that was probably because I spent 4 years shooting Walther PPQs (before that 1911s).

IMHO the LEM trigger is somewhat similar due to the longish take-up that almost makes it a 2-stage trigger. I shoot it sort of like a combination of a DA and a 2-stage. On count 3 of my draw stroke (pressing out) I'm on on the trigger taking up the slack, by the time I'm at full extension, I'm at the break point and waiting on final sight alignment (on those draws when the decision to shoot has been made), much like how guys shoot a standard DA trigger. After the 1st break, I shoot from just beyond reset, so it's as if I have an SA trigger at that point.

On the quick shots, going from trigger finger indexed on frame to shooting, I pull straight through. It just takes a little getting used to.

Chuck

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No more smothering for me!!!!!!! I shot MY very own p30sk V1 trigger today. Now, I only had time to fire 25 Winchester ranger LE, 147 Gr ammo due to our day to pick up grand kids from school. It appears she is typical H&K as for accuracy. The LEM trigger is certainly different on first shot, as it reminds me of my j-frame bodyguard. Although much less trigger pull. Follow up shots I think are going to be easy to acclimate too. Plan on giving her a good work out before the week is over! Thanks again for all replies.

·
Registered
121 Posts
All my LEMs are light variants. The initial pull is long and smooth, with a light but consistent break. The reset is of average length, but unlike most other triggers, riding the reset does not result in an immediate break for the follow-up shot because there is a tiny bit of slack, post reset, before it breaks again. That room for error (the slack before and after the break/reset) is the safety design of the LEM trigger. My P2000 and P2000sk have a shorter break than my P30L and HK45T. The latter two require a trigger pull that goes all the way to the back for it to break. Shooting those two requires a bit longer transition from strikers than the P2000 and P2000sk, but all of them require some practice to regain my form.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The Transition is Strong

No more smothering for me!!!!!!! I shot MY very own p30sk V1 trigger today. Now, I only had time to fire 25 Winchester ranger LE, 147 Gr ammo due to our day to pick up grand kids from school. It appears she is typical H&K as for accuracy. The LEM trigger is certainly different on first shot, as it reminds me of my j-frame bodyguard. Although much less trigger pull. Follow up shots I think are going to be easy to acclimate too. Plan on giving her a good work out before the week is over! Thanks again for all replies.
Mine loves 147 gr from any manufacturer.
I'm running Federal HST 147 in my P30SK.
But my VP9 has Winchester Ranger T-Series 147 gr.

Congratulations on your new P30SK.
Enjoy!

Oh BTW, I naturally stage the first shot and then follow the reset.
Try it, you might like it :cool:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Barth,
I agree staging the first shot is the way to go. I too like 147's, will load some this week end. I will order a pinky extension ( aluminum ) from HK parts tomorrow. A Comp-tax infidel ultra will be here Saturday! Exciting week!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I disagree. Do not stage the LEM trigger. This is a mistake a lot of people make with Glocks and other SFAs. Staging begets anticipation, anticipations lead to the misses, misses lead to the dark side...oops, wrong topic. Staging will also slow you down considerably (10ths of a second) when trying to go fast.

Pull the LEM trigger straight through. When you let the trigger out, do not hunt the reset (another horrible Glock habit). Roll the trigger smoothly out and smoothly back.

This method of shooting is very similar to a DA revolver and seems to have been lost in the time when everyone transitioned to SFAs.

Here is how to practice. Pick up a shot time (or metronome). Set a random start time and a par time of ~0.5 s to begin. Start with your finger just touching the trigger. The goal is break the shot in the par time without disturbing your sights. Start decreasing the time. Once you get down below 0.3 you will see that trying to stage the trigger is impossible if you want to keep up with the time. The goal here is ~0.2 s trigger pull without disturbing the sights. It may seem frustrating at first, and you will likely have to experiment with finger position and grip size to get it right. However, this is the only way to work a long pull trigger at speed. Modern SFAs are very forgiving triggers when it comes to bad habbits (staging, hunting the reset), but the LEM is not. I also encourage the same technique on any non-SAO pistol, you will see your accuracy at speed greatly increase.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I disagree. Do not stage the LEM trigger. This is a mistake a lot of people make with Glocks and other SFAs. Staging begets anticipation, anticipations lead to the misses, misses lead to the dark side...oops, wrong topic. Staging will also slow you down considerably (10ths of a second) when trying to go fast.

Pull the LEM trigger straight through. When you let the trigger out, do not hunt the reset (another horrible Glock habit). Roll the trigger smoothly out and smoothly back.

This method of shooting is very similar to a DA revolver and seems to have been lost in the time when everyone transitioned to SFAs.

Here is how to practice. Pick up a shot time (or metronome). Set a random start time and a par time of ~0.5 s to begin. Start with your finger just touching the trigger. The goal is break the shot in the par time without disturbing your sights. Start decreasing the time. Once you get down below 0.3 you will see that trying to stage the trigger is impossible if you want to keep up with the time. The goal here is ~0.2 s trigger pull without disturbing the sights. It may seem frustrating at first, and you will likely have to experiment with finger position and grip size to get it right. However, this is the only way to work a long pull trigger at speed. Modern SFAs are very forgiving triggers when it comes to bad habbits (staging, hunting the reset), but the LEM is not. I also encourage the same technique on any non-SAO pistol, you will see your accuracy at speed greatly increase.
Thanks for that info. I was going ask you if this method also work for the DA of DA/SA but I guess that is the same as a non-SAO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for that info. I was going ask you if this method also work for the DA of DA/SA but I guess that is the same as a non-SAO.
Same concept. Also remember on a draw that the DA pull can start on the press without a huge risk of a premature discharge. The trick is them to remember that the single action of a DA/SA is going to be more of a "slappy" technique used by 1911 shooters instead of the rolling technique. This is what is truly meant by "two trigger pulls", because most people who say DA/SA is hard think for some dumb reason that going from a heavy trigger to a light trigger is hard. Your goal time for the same drill on an SAO is to get the pull so quick that the timer does not even recognize the shot. With the surefire phone app this is about 0.17 s.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well, to be honest I have read about the disadvantages of staging. it sure makes that first shot seem easier though! :)
I shot her again today and did not stage the trigger. Sure is a long time before she went boom!!!! Lol
We will see what a little more practice will do.
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts