HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the laws governing transportation of firearms to different states but i just wanna ask for confirmation if it is alright to transport my firearms to the state of Illinois without applying yet for a gun license in the said state. im moving to that state pretty soon and i know that illinois has a different set of rules/regulations as compared to the state im currently in right now. i plan to reside in illinois for good and i have yet to apply for a gun license there so i can legally own a firearm in the said state.
when i transport my firearms, of course, by observing the laws such as transporting them in the trunk of my car, with the gun and ammo separated, the ammo in a locked and sealed container and my firearms disassembled, again in another locked container, would it be illegal for me to transport said firearms without a license yet? i do have a license for those guns here in this state i am in. can i use said license while transporting the firearms?
thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to Illinois SilverSurfer from a fellow gun owner! I believe your answers can all be found here: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

Read the FAQ's and there is a download for the Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID) application right there. If you know the address you will be living at, I think you could send in for the FOID right away because it will take awhile to get. Shockingly, it's still only $5 instead of the $500 per year fee Democratic Gov Blagojevich has always pushed.

I highly recommend you go to www.isra.org and consider becoming a member. They are the only reason we are still allowed to own guns in this State. I can't wait to retire so my family can move out of here!

Which is a shame because Illinois is a beautiful place. I was born and raised in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Mayor Daley is super anti-gun but the City of Chicago is absolutely gorgeous. Lake Michigan is phenomenal.

I've actually never had a problem with being a gun owner. When you go into a gun shop or attend a gun show, they just ask for your FOID before you can handle a gun or ammo or buy either. Some guys even use a lanyard around their necks to display their FOID card instead of taking it in and out of their wallet. I usually just put it in my front pocket for easy access.

Again, WELCOME! -Steve

·
Registered
269 Posts
I live in Illinois as well. Its not a bad place to live however be prepaired for more gun laws, no CC permits etc. The FOID card really is not a big deal at all.

To answer your questions: Once you have a place of residency you will then be able to apply for a FOID card. You print it out or get it at your local PD department, gun store etc. You have a picture taken, fill it out and send them $5 and wait about 30 days. You HAVE to have a state ID and or DL prior to getting a FOID. I moved here 6 years ago from Kansas and applied for the FOID prior to getting my IL DL and they would not give me a FOID. They actually cross check your info and picture you send them with the state DL info on file. The state police are the ones who process and handle the FOID cards.

Transportation into the state is pretty much like most states. Do not have loaded guns in your car etc, have them in some kind of case. Some will tell you they have to be locked but I have never seen this be a problem. If your moving it will be understandable and you should never get crap from any cop.

Now here is the tricky part. Once you arrive in IL and have a residence by state law you are not allowed to have an assembled firearm until you have a FOID card. This means you can have all the guns you want but they can not be put together and capable of firing. IE slides off of frames, bolt removed etc. The other hitch is if you retain your out of state DL for a bit you can go to shooting ranges and buy ammo and use them. You wont be able to buy a gun but you can shoot your own, they look at it as you don't live here. But if they come to your house for some reason IE a 911 call of a domestic dispute etc and you have a gun in YOUR place of residency with out a FOID card and its able to fire you just lost your gun. So the bottom line is get your state ID ASAP, send off your FOID the same day and then do not use any of those guns till you get your FOID. I will say from personal experience that cops are cool and understanding but just don't take them in public with out the FOID. Its a bunch of BS to have to go through for about 30 days but once your past that its simple.

I am not sure where your moving but PLEASE know the local county and city laws of where you are moving. The city of Chicago for example has a handgun and assault weapon ban, pretty much just can have a hunting bolt action rifle or shot gun. Cook county which Chicago and many other cities are in has regulations as well, as of FEB 2008 Cook county has made ownership of handguns, assault rifles and some shot guns illegal. There are some towns in the Chicago suburbs that have a handgun ban. Others might have a magazine capacity law etc. That is the most frustrating thing about living here is the politics beyond even the state ones. There are some very nice areas I would live in however they have gun laws that I will not live with. If your moving to an area outside of the Chicagoland area then you probably won't find any of the local laws like Chicago's. Good luck and welcome, please join the IL Rifle Association, we need every voter we can get. In a perfect world lots and lots of you would move here, vote for better gun laws and help us change things here. To many gun owners live in this state and do not vote. Its sad but to many people take the I cant make a difference stance. I am off my soap box now lol.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts