HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my new P30 to the range today, and noticed when the gun is in DA mode, when I pull the trigger when the hammer is half way back it makes a clicking sound. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Click or the sound of parts rubbing together? The only click should be during reset and then, very slight.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Nevvermind,

Take this for what it's worth. A long time ago, when I first got into buying guns, I used to look over the gun like it was something crafted out of gold and diamonds. I also used to take every effort I could to analyze the smallest detail when shooting and cleaning the gun. I got over this when I realized I was spending more time stressing over these things than enjoying the pistol. After reading the question about the scratch, and now this; I think you might be in that place.

IMHO, you will find so much more pleasure in your things if you don't spend all the time agonizing about the small imperfections, but instead focusing on how well they do the thing they were made to do. There are slight clicks in my triggers too, but they either go away with time or I just don't notice them.

There are a lot of things happening when the trigger is pulled, as long as the pistol works I would not worry. How does the pistol shoot?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The click happens after applying a few pounds f pressure, it's not parts rubbing together, definitely a slight clicking sound.
Is this from when then hammer is fully forward after dry firing? If so it is most likely the sound of the hammer and catch resetting.

If not, it could be something as simple as the hammer spring compressing or the control latch depressing the firing pin block. If you are concerned about it ask a friend or someone who is more knowledgeable about firearms. It's hard to give you an answer to something like this over the internet.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Pretty sure this only happens if the pistol has been dry fired. "Second strike" mode, not true DA mode.

Remove the slide and partially pull the trigger in "second strike" mode (as if the pistol has misfired or dry fired). Watch the parts and you'll see the catch pop up out of the slot in the hammer to block it. Catch is pushed back down at the end of the trigger stroke.

Do the same test with the slide in place and she'll click. Release the trigger and the hammer will remain slightly to the rear as it rests on the catch.

In true DA mode (or normal LEM mode) the hammer is resting on the catch already so there's nothing to click.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i dont know about halfway back but if all the pressure is off the hammer spring(after fry fired) the hammer clicks into the"half cocked" spot as soon as you start putting pressure on the trigger. just as in if the hammer is cocked back in SA and then you depress the decocker it doesnt slam ALL the way home, its in the "half cocked" position. i use the ""'s because they say its half cocked when in reality its like 5% cocked, lol. try starting from that position and then see if it continues to click

·
Registered
378 Posts
It is the same on USPs. If the hammer has been fully released to where it is resting on the firing pin, the click sound you hear when pulling the trigger is the hammer resetting to its decocked position, with a small space between the hammer and the pin.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Both my P30 and sk do it about a 1/3 the way into a DA pull. Very subtle click, not nearly as pronounced as the reset... I always figured it had to do with the cocking of the hammer...In any event, I'm over 3000 rounds through my P30 and closing in on the first grand with my sk, and have not had any issues what-so-ever.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Don't take our word for it. Pull the slide and watch the parts. Only clicks from the completely down (dry fired) position. Where the hammer will never be in normal operation.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't take our word for it. Pull the slide and watch the parts. Only clicks from the completely down (dry fired) position. Where the hammer will never be in normal operation.

-- Chuck
To best describe it. When the hammer is decocked, when i put like a pound of pressure, even before the hammer starts going back, there is a clicking sound. Then if I let go of the trigger, and the hammer is still down, it doesnt do it anymore.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Nevvermind,

Take this for what it's worth. A long time ago, when I first got into buying guns, I used to look over the gun like it was something crafted out of gold and diamonds. I also used to take every effort I could to analyze the smallest detail when shooting and cleaning the gun. I got over this when I realized I was spending more time stressing over these things than enjoying the pistol. After reading the question about the scratch, and now this; I think you might be in that place.

IMHO, you will find so much more pleasure in your things if you don't spend all the time agonizing about the small imperfections, but instead focusing on how well they do the thing they were made to do. There are slight clicks in my triggers too, but they either go away with time or I just don't notice them.

There are a lot of things happening when the trigger is pulled, as long as the pistol works I would not worry. How does the pistol shoot?
Well said...

I used to be in this exact place when I first got my USP .45. I probably looked like a surgeon when I was cleaning the thing. I still clean it very well but after getting all stressed about every tiny little sound and mark and all that I started to feel like I wasn't enjoying one of the best guns ever manufactured. So I put the gun in the safe for a week and didn't carry. I realized how much I missed it. Pulled it out and just remembered to enjoy it ever since...

1100 rounds through it and ZERO malfunctions... I love my USP more than ever

1 - 17 of 17 Posts