HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is a FA pack for a G3. Other than clipping and pinning, what would have to be done to it to...

1. incorporate a Flemming (or similar) sear?
2. Use in MP5?
3. Use in HK/V93?

Or...

4. Use as semi-auto?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
This is a FA pack for a G3. Other than clipping and pinning, what would have to be done to it to...

1. incorporate a Flemming (or similar) sear?
2. Use in MP5?
3. Use in HK/V93?

Or...

4. Use as semi-auto?
For 1: weld up existing catch axle hole, relocate to the position for a registered sear (they're not the same dimensions, intentionally), also will need to retime the hammer (either cutting the notch deeper or adding extra material depending on which sear you have). Also, the front lower corner of the pack must be cut out to clear the shelf. Some also weld an additional plate across it, but that's not really necessary.

For 2: Do same work as in step 1, and also change out the ejector lever and hammer spring (but the spring is somewhat optional)

For 3: Same as above, change out the ejector lever but keep the rifle hammer spring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1. It is already a FA factory trigger pack. Why would you place a Flemming sear in it?

2.To use in an MP5 you have to machine a ledge to fit the shelf. Read about NFA laws before doing this!! As Aviator said, you also would change the ejector to the short 9mm one and the hammerspring but it would work with the rifle spring.

3. Same as AviatorDave's.

The bottom line is you would have to illegally alter that pack to use it in a semi-auto weapon. It will only fit as is in a pushpin swing down G3.

·
Registered
200 Posts
To have it done correctly the 1st time, send it to an 02 H&K Smith like RDTS or S&H Arms.
I've done a couple of them for my own use and it took a lot of time and figuring the angles to time the hammer correctly. I'm an 02 Mfg and I won't do it again.
Let the H&K Smiths with the jigs do it!

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. It is already a FA factory trigger pack. Why would you place a Flemming sear in it?
To stay out of prison.

I was looking for a cheap way to use a sear as this pack is less that $100, but it's starting to sound like a lot of work/expense to get it ready for use.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
To stay out of prison.

I was looking for a cheap way to use a sear as this pack is less that $100, but it's starting to sound like a lot of work/expense to get it ready for use.
Right, all me explanations were on the assumption that you were trying to make a legal pack.

It's still the cheapest way, you're looking about $200 or so to have it converted to take a registered sear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
To stay out of prison.

You're right, they are cheap. I wasn't thinking of it from that angle.

In reality if you have all the proper paperwork for a sear and don't install in a pack but instead make that factory trigger group work and use it in your weapon, who would ever know? Really. I bet most law enforcement personnel would not know what they are looking at if they broke the gun down. I doubt that anyone would question your paperwork and what kind of trigger group is in the weapon. If you have a sear though just have a good HK smith do the work and have fun!!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
You're right, they are cheap. I wasn't thinking of it from that angle.

In reality if you have all the proper paperwork for a sear and don't install in a pack but instead make that factory trigger group work and use it in your weapon, who would ever know? Really. I bet most law enforcement personnel would not know what they are looking at if they broke the gun down. I doubt that anyone would question your paperwork and what kind of trigger group is in the weapon. If you have a sear though just have a good HK smith do the work and have fun!!
Noooooooo! Bad, bad, advice. Everything until the last sentence, which is good advice. The first time you take the gun to a range, there will be a random ATF agent there shooting the breeze with the range officer. He'll take a look at it (the difference is OBVIOUS, you can tell without taking anything apart besides the pack out of the grip), notice the shake in your hands or the sweat on your nose, and you'll get 10 years and a lighter wallet by $100,000. Or is it $250,000, I forget.

I used to have the same thoughts. I wanted to use a roller sear pack and keep my registered pack at home so as not to put any wear on it. Then a friend of mine was at a range in Arizona and had to remove his sear so the agent could check the number on it. That was the day I decided to have my sear put into the burst pack.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's $250,000.

That was merely thinking aloud not giving advice. The cost of any of these NFA weapons is small in comparison to the felony convinction, fine and imprisonment for doing something illegal.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to have the same thoughts. I wanted to use a roller sear pack and keep my registered pack at home so as not to put any wear on it. Then a friend of mine was at a range in Arizona and had to remove his sear so the agent could check the number on it. That was the day I decided to have my sear put into the burst pack.
It seems strange that they could make you do that if you were not breaking any laws. Personally, I would go ahead and do it without hesitation, but it just seems strange.

So $300 total is a good price? What does one that's already converted/built cost? I've seen around $400-$500. Is that about typical?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
It seems strange that they could make you do that if you were not breaking any laws. Personally, I would go ahead and do it without hesitation, but it just seems strange.

So $300 total is a good price? What does one that's already converted/built cost? I've seen around $400-$500. Is that about typical?
For an SEF pack, that's about right. $100 for the pack, $200 to install the sear. Burst packs unmodified usually go for around $400-500 by themselves.

But getting one already converted is kind of a gray area. I've read that they recently decided that a sear-ready pack even without a sear is also now a no-no.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You're correct, both Gordon Miller and Murray Urbach had a long draw-out problem with ATF over this fact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts