HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy some night sights for my USP .40 Full Size. Should I go with Meprolight or Trijicons?

Which would you choose & why?

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
I have used both and I found that Meprolights were easier to see in the daylight and they were as bright if not more so at night. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I can't say anything bad amount Trijicon, but I'd go Meprolight. The 10 year old Mepro's on my USP 40 are just as bright as the brand new ones on my glock 27.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am going to be putting meprolights on mine, too when I get it. However, if can ask another question about sights; is there a reason, to get front yellow, rear green or vise versa? Or is this just preference? Some focus better on the one color in the front and to the rear, etc? I'm thinking that's it. But please clarrify. Thank you. And sorry to sort of hijack your threrad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there a reason, to get front yellow, rear green or vise versa? Or is this just preference?
I have read a couple threads on this, and a lot of people say you can acquire the target faster with different colors. They also said that green is the brightest color - then yellow. The orange and other colors are definitely not as bright as the green and yellow.

Are there special tools needed to install night sights, or can I do it myself?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

It goes like this. Green is always the brightest and you'll want to use this on your front site. The orange or yellow should be used on the rear sight (and in most cases these are not as bright as the front site).

The purpose of the different colors is that in low light conditions you can tell which way the weapon is oriented bc the green should be in the middle. In high stress and low light you'll barely be seeing a sight picture at all so you'll want to just focus on the green front sight.

You should search a few forums and learn what they mean by "shooting out of the notch" that'll help your shooting immensely. And by all means get professional training.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
And by all means get professional training.
Hope that helps.
It sure does, thanks a lot. And I do plan on getting all the training I can. Scottsdale Gun Club offers a lot of classes and I plan on taking every one of them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Somebody feel free to correct me here; but I think Trijicon is a little brighter at night - comparing a friend's with my Meps. However, I think it's because it's a larger diameter vial. That said, the Meps are a LOT easier to see in daylight. Also, I think the "white stuff" on the Meps is supposedly more durable than Trijicon when it comes to chemicals.

Anybody else heard this "internet lore?"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somebody feel free to correct me here; but I think Trijicon is a little brighter at night
I think the consensus is that Meps are brighter

Also, I think the "white stuff" on the Meps is supposedly more durable than Trijicon when it comes to chemicals. Anybody else heard this "internet lore?"
Yes, I have heard that Trijicons white paint can come off with powder solvent, so you just need to be careful when cleaning the gun

·
Registered
60 Posts
Somebody feel free to correct me here; but I think Trijicon is a little brighter at night - comparing a friend's with my Meps. However, I think it's because it's a larger diameter vial. That said, the Meps are a LOT easier to see in daylight. Also, I think the "white stuff" on the Meps is supposedly more durable than Trijicon when it comes to chemicals.

Anybody else heard this "internet lore?"
you couldn't call that comparison valid unless you know the the tritium in both sets of sights is the same age. yours might be older.

that said, general consensus is that meps are brighter, easier to pick up in day light, and the white ring is a plastic insert, not painted on like trijicons, so solvent doesn't effect it.

last but not least, my experience of having purchased meprolights for 4 pistols, the meprolights are always $15 to $20 cheaper than the trijicons.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Trijicon or Meprolights? <-Neither

My choice is Heinie Straight 8 or MMC.

I do have 2 USP's with Meprolights and work well, both new sets were acquired in trades, when I spend my own money -> Heinie Straight 8 or MMC.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Trijicon or Meprolights? <-Neither

My choice is Heinie Straight 8 or MMC.

I do have 2 USP's with Meprolights and work well, both new sets were acquired in trades, when I spend my own money -> Heinie Straight 8 or MMC.
My bro had PTs on his duty glock 22, and had a tube fall out twice. Both times they replaced it with a new one for just the charge of one way shipping. After the second time he traded for trijicon.

Heinie Straight 8 would be my last choice, but that's just me, to each his own.....

·
Registered
377 Posts
They're both good, I'd go with which ever one is cheaper.

FWIW, I replaced the Siglite night sights on a P226 with XS standard dot's and I noticed right away that the XS sights were brighter.

I believe Siglite's are made by Meprolight and I know XS's are made by Trijicon. The Siglite's came with the gun, and it was purchased NIB like 4 months ago. So, as far as age goes, they should be pretty similar.

Now, I'd prefer XS or Heinie over Mep or Trij sights, but if you want a 3-dot setup, I dont think you'de notice much of difference with either one.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ronin,

That is a good point, however I know he ordered his Trijicons about the same time I got my Meps. I doubt there would be more than 2 years separation between the 2 samples. However, like I said, you did bring up a good point and something I'd like to know more about..as in how to order the "freshest" set.

Also, are not green and yellow the longest lasting tritium?

I like my Meps, and I'll probably change out another to Meps in the future. I also have a Big Dot and it glows VERY well too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have both and it seems as though the the Trijicons are "sharper" in the dark. By this I mean the edges of the mepro's lights are fuzzy. I think this is because Trijicon uses saphire windows and mepros don't. As a result the mepro's seem out of focus to me in the dark. Which is a pain in the *ss when you are trying to focus on the sights. I bought mepro's first because everybody said they are brighter. After buying Trijicons and comparing the two side by side the brightness appears the same to me. I would reccomend that you go with diff. color on the rear sights. - Dave:83:

·
Registered
381 Posts
What does HK use on their factory installed night sights?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ronin,

That is a good point, however I know he ordered his Trijicons about the same time I got my Meps. I doubt there would be more than 2 years separation between the 2 samples. However, like I said, you did bring up a good point and something I'd like to know more about..as in how to order the "freshest" set.

Also, are not green and yellow the longest lasting tritium?

I like my Meps, and I'll probably change out another to Meps in the future. I also have a Big Dot and it glows VERY well too.
all tritium *should* last the same amount of time. it's the same element so it's got the same half life. that said, green is the brightest for whatever reason, so it might appear that green 'lasts' longer than the orange or yellow.

as for how to tell who's set is the newest, i guess you'd have to go by manufacturing dates, and i don't know if there's an easy way to determine that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just put the XS Big Dot sights on my Wilson Combat CQB because I hated the trijicon sights. The XS sights are by the far the fastest to acquire in any situation. Highly recommended especially if you are using the weapon for personal defense. I may even take the mepros off my Kimber that I carry and put the Big Dot on. It is one BIG dot that you can't miss!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts