HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RMR on the way. HK45 suppressed. I'm leaning towards rear sight replacement but still looking for mount. I really don't want to mill the slide. If
anyone has HK45 with one mounted pics would be great. I am open to suggestions on mounting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am interested to see what you come up with,.. I have a HK45 with a Ti-Rant that's awaiting paperwork. I'd rather stick with iron sights for my set up but no one offers the sights I want (USP Tactical).

I could be wrong but there was a thread where someone put a RMR on a HK,. Might have been a P30.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Do update us, this would be fantastic

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a nice setup but still low for my needs. The P30L on the link has a rear sight replacement mount, from what I can tell it looks fairly clean and should give enough elevation to see over the can. I'm looking forward to the end result. Bowling pin shoots and steel match will be much more fun...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The two guns in the pic are different, the Bowie has the slide milled, the Amerigun is just a mount that takes place of the rear sight.. The Bowie remills a place for the rear sight in front of the Dpoint.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I have shot with a RMR as a replacement to the rear sight and in front of the rear sight and prefer to have the sight set in addition to the RMR. If you decide to mill the slide I would be interested in how it turned out.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I have do doubt that this can be done, but have you given consideration to the fact that RMR's and the like have not stood up well to the abuse received from being mounted to the slide? From the first-hand accounts I've both witnessed and received in addition to those posted online by Vickers and Falla, it does not appear that the red dots (save maybe the Micro T1) is up the challenge of handling the pistol cycling.

I just figure this is something one may want to consider if you are going to attempt some sort invasive custom undertaking to your pistol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the what my friend with a mill turned out. It will still get shaped up some, we are waiting on some tooling to arrive. I will still give it a ceramic coating but I couldn't wait to see how it looked.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I have do doubt that this can be done, but have you given consideration to the fact that RMR's and the like have not stood up well to the abuse received from being mounted to the slide? From the first-hand accounts I've both witnessed and received in addition to those posted online by Vickers and Falla, it does not appear that the red dots (save maybe the Micro T1) is up the challenge of handling the pistol cycling.

I just figure this is something one may want to consider if you are going to attempt some sort invasive custom undertaking to your pistol.
Vickers' comments are from LAST YEAR. He has since had one (or more) built. So I would imagine he sees a bit of worth in the concept, yes?

I have no idea who this Falla fellow is. But almost all of the negative points he brings up seem to be geared toward HSLD military types. IOW, not really applicable to us plebian civilian types.

You're completely ignoring the fact that folks have been using this concept with great success for years... over ten years in the case of David Bowie, a few others even longer. He has built many RDS-equipped pistols, and the wait times for his services is six months or more.

I have two G19s he installed the Trijicon clone of the Docter on. This sight is by no means as rugged as the RMR; one of mine has well over 2000 rounds through it, the other just over a thousand. I suspect if either was going to puke due to recoil, it would have occurred by now. And before you point out that .45 recoil is more substantial than the Euro Pellet (which it is, of course), talk to Gary Roberts about the fellows out in SoCal who have been using RDS on 1911s for a decade or more.

IOW, the first sentence of your post is incorrect. Not saying you haven't witnessed a failure or two... but your blanket condemnation is... simply... wrong.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Vickers' comments are from LAST YEAR. He has since had one (or more) built. So I would imagine he sees a bit of worth in the concept, yes?

I have no idea who this Falla fellow is. But almost all of the negative points he brings up seem to be geared toward HSLD military types. IOW, not really applicable to us plebian civilian types.

You're completely ignoring the fact that folks have been using this concept with great success for years... over ten years in the case of David Bowie, a few others even longer. He has built many RDS-equipped pistols, and the wait times for his services is six months or more.

I have two G19s he installed the Trijicon clone of the Docter on. This sight is by no means as rugged as the RMR; one of mine has well over 2000 rounds through it, the other just over a thousand. I suspect if either was going to puke due to recoil, it would have occurred by now. And before you point out that .45 recoil is more substantial than the Euro Pellet (which it is, of course), talk to Gary Roberts about the fellows out in SoCal who have been using RDS on 1911s for a decade or more.

IOW, the first sentence of your post is incorrect. Not saying you haven't witnessed a failure or two... but your blanket condemnation is... simply... wrong.

Hey,

If you think it's for you, good for you...drive on. For the time being, I still view it as more of a crutch for the average user and a novelty.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
The problem I have with any electronic optic replacing the rear sight is that you now have nothing left if the sight goes down. There is not a front sight that sits up high enough to be used so you are basically left with a block of aluminum to sight off of. At least with the FN tactical or other pistols that has the sight in front of the rear sight or a repositioned rear sight forward of the optic if the sight goes down you are still ok. The main disadvantage of this is that the slide has to be milled thus reducing the resell value to most and "fixing" the pistol into your inventory. The optic going down is a mute point on the Trijicon Dual illumination RMRs since it is powered by the same stuff the Acogs are, even those go dim though.

I am not HSLD hell I am so slow I might as well be in park. This is just my view point on the matter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The thing ran awesome today. Only had time for 50 rounds but it performed great. This is not a duty weapon or even what I carry. This whole project is to shoot steel, bowling pin matches, and to run a suppressor for whatever else I feel like shooting. This gun will be for fun and hunting. Everybody has had good comments and I appreciate everyone's opinion on the matter. As for how long it lasts atop the HK, I don't really care, its Trijicon and they have a warranty.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I really am considering getting a platform that just lends itself to a mini rds install better. Fnp tactical is the easy route or just get an m&p and send it over to atei for their rds milling and why not get a trigger job while there? If doug could get an RMR working on my p30 it would already be there for the service.

I just want a damn mini rds equiped pistol, but as others have mentioned, i will not go for it if i cant cowitness irons.

Either way that looks like a whole lot of fun there lgo. Enjoy that beast. Which model rmr is it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
My bro had his M&P9 Pro milled out for a Deltapoint. He has close to 8000 rounds through it. It's still going strong. Still kept zero. Work was done by Bowie. As you can see, the irons cowitness.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Guys... there are several ways to have BUIS. PSG1, there are indeed sights "high enough" for this to work; namely those intended for use with a suppressor. See the photo in the post above this one.

The Docter has a notch in the rear of the housing, that, if the inletting job is done properly, functions as a rear sight with a stock front sight. Both of my Bowie G19s feature this.

This concept has gone far beyond the "novelty" stage... there are some very serious folks using it. But if your eyes are still good, then you don't really need it.

Those of us with deteriorating vision... need it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you have to drill & tap into the top of the slide? Do you have to be carefull not to hit the internals, firing pin, etc? HK45c and USP expert .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts