HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering the idea of putting a Trijicon RMR onto my everyday carry USP.

Has anyone done this? What kind of results are you getting? Has it impacted on your carry and how your firearm prints at all?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do not recommend using the RMR, or that sort of optic in general, on a carry weapon. If you really want to, I suggest getting suppressor sights installed as back up irons.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I used a Burris Fastfire II on my P7 CCW for a while, it is less than optimal, especially in very dim light- it becomes very hard to properly orient the pistol and get the dot in the window when it's too dark to see the frame of the optic.

The current generation of mini-HUDs is very much not ready for use as combat pistol optics, IMO.

Here are a few pix of my P7 with the Fastfire mounted:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not recommend using the RMR, or that sort of optic in general, on a carry weapon. If you really want to, I suggest getting suppressor sights installed as back up irons.
Suppressor sights? As in high sights like on the USP Tactical?

I already have Trijicon sights on my carry USP. The issue with standard three dot sights is the issue with having to deal with three plains of focus for shot placement eg. Back sight, front sight to get sight picture and finally target. Whereas with a optic like the RMR, you look through the sight which prints onto the target, so one plain of focus. This only makes sence as being easier and quicker to get onto target.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well, the trijicon isn't so bad being it doesn't run on a battery. I personally am a fan of the advantage irons give me in that they are as rugged as can be. However, if a dot is your thing I'm sure you could train for it. I would just hope it didn't place you at more of a disadvantage.. like with the having to find the dot in a high-stress situation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will admit that I tend to point shoot a lot, the RMR would just allow more precise shots without having to deal with three focal points.
I wholly agree, the RMR would require plenty training, it would be unrealistic for me to suddenly become a crack shot with a simple upgrade.

But like I always say, if you are playing fair, you didn't plan far enough ahead *grin*

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
A laser is just as precise, and IMO, much faster.
If this would be true, then we would see all IPSC/USPSA Open top shooters use lasers. But they use reflex/colimating sights of all flavors, but never seen one use laser. I'm also plaing with concept of slide mounting such sight on on of my HKs (Docter III or Aimpoint Micro).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The idea of the RMR was spawned after chatting to a mate of mine who enjoys the work done by Gabe Suarez.
He has a RMR mounted on his pistol and he seems to feel it's helped him a lot given his eyes are getting a little old :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mounting RMR on USP 9 SD

The top of my slide is tapped between the ejection port and rear sight. Can I mount an RMR and co-witness with raised iron sights without modifying the slide?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I'm having an InSight MRDS installed on a USPc .40 slide as we speak. Stand by for pics and a "report". There are several things to consider.

I'm embracing this concept for the same reason as your pal... "old man eyes". The idea is not new, but is just now coming into vogue, as a few more folks are beginning to offer this work.

As far as carrying one, I have two G19s that Bowie installed Docters on, and they carry just as easily as a G19 with "regular" sights. I just don't want to go back to the VolksPistole; cannot give up my HKs.

You have two choices... use an adapter plate in the rear sight dovetail, or have the slide machined so the sight "drops in". Option B is, by far, the optimum way to go. Glocks are easily done this way. Not so HKs, as the firing pin block plunger is in the way. Mark Housel has found a way around this; I'll give the details in my "report".

BUIS are another entire topic. The general consensus seems to be they are absolutely necessary. I disagree, again those reasons will be outlined in my "report".

As with anything new, there are many facets of this deal to be examined, and some of them are fluid... that is, they depend on YOUR situation/condition. I have shot the Bowie G19s enough to get a grip on what the main points of this endeavor entail; I intend to refine my knowledge with the USPc set-up.

Just don't take as gospel everything you read on WarriorTalk. They do good work, but to listen to them their way is the ONLY way, and everyone else is a rank amatuer. Absolutely not true.

FWIW, Suarez did NOT "pioneer" this idea, as he has stated several times in his musings.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It's all about the Holster and your training. (Training is not shooting holes in paper, that's practice.) There are plenty of people who run RMR's on their EDC without issue. Now if you're one of those people who buys a status symbol or penis extension and never train with it, then you're just a Gecko45 who is going to get themselves killed if they ever are in a real gun fight.

The ONLY MRDS worthy of EDC is the Trijicon RMR. None of the other ones are durable enough for hard use. Heck, the RMR can be trown as hard as you want and chances are it'll be perfectly fine. I've heard of the of a Leopold dropping off a table & busting.

I guess if someone is the type that starts threads about tiny micro scratches or complaining of holster wear, they have bigger problems than what mrds is right for them.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The ONLY MRDS worthy of EDC is the Trijicon RMR. None of the other ones are durable enough for hard use.
I would add one more there: Aimpoint Micro T1 :)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I would add one more there: Aimpoint Micro T1 :)
Right, if you like having that enormous thing (relatively) sitting on top. I don't think it's a reasonably sized micro for a Self defense EDC. Now for my BCM, sure thing. :0)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The ONLY MRDS worthy of EDC is the Trijicon RMR. None of the other ones are durable enough for hard use.
That's a pretty broad statement. And you know this how? Personal experience? How many RDS-equipped handguns do YOU own?

Not all of us are hard-core Tactical Teddy ninja-wannabes. While I'll agree that the RMR is PROBABLY the most durable of the bunch, some of us are just regular folks who are not deployed in a war zone. The RMR is too big (too "tall", actually) for comfortable IWB carry in my set-up anyway.

And depending upon who you talk to, the InSight MRDS is being employed by more military users than any other holograph type sight. That's what I heard...so, like your busted DeltaPoint, it must be true, eh?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Right, if you like having that enormous thing (relatively) sitting on top. I don't think it's a reasonably sized micro for a Self defense EDC. Now for my BCM, sure thing. :0)
EDC does not equal CCW by default, you know :)

I test mounted Micro on slide on my G17 and it is not as big as it looks. Also makes racking slide much easier. I have plan to machine my P2000SK slide to melt down Micro installation, but hard part is that Micro requires screws from bottom.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Thanks for the passive aggressive inference but You don't have to be hardcore or a wannabe to recognize the best and to only use and train with the best. Regular folks need the best too. I haven't met an instructor yet that preferred the insight over an RMR and in using several of these sights myself in the military and as a civilian (more as a civilian) on other systems, I completely agree. I recognize it's a trade off for some, comfort vs. reliability and protection. I still think it's more about training and your holster choice. I subscribe to the school of thought that says, "cheat as much as you can to be as prepared as you can be. I guess YMMV.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I too have been wanting a RMR on my usp, i currently have a RMR on my fnp tactical and a primary arms on my ruger 22/45. I like the red dots amd it makes rapid follow up shots a breeze.

I havent found any mounts for the usp though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts