HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of Green rear and Green front night sights from Trijicon on my G21. But for my HK USP, I was thinking of getter a pair of YELLOW rear and Green front.

Does anyone have the Yellow/Green combo? How do you like it and how bright are they? As bright as the Green/Green?

According to the Trijion website, they are not as bright, but I have never seen them and most local stores in Los Angeles do not stock the Yellow/Green combo for me too look at.

Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
get meprolights as opposed to trijicon. meps have larger lamps, plus they have a white plastic ring that doesn't rub off like the painted trijicon ring can.

all green would be best. they are brighter. if you are looking for contrast, then consider the mmc night sights, with the _._ (bar-dot-bar) configuration.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just ordered a pair of yellow/green meps to replace my green/green meps, but they wont be on until after my uspc gets chromed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The yellow rear sights...how dim or bright are they compared to green sights? Are they 80% as bright or some other percentage? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Just got an all Green set on my Glock 26. Trijicon warranties the green and yellow lamps for 12 years but the Orange for only 5 years. So my guess is the Orange laamps are the brightest because the wear out the fastest.

L

·
0 Posts
green and yellow are warranted longer because their overall useful output is higher. 80 to 90 percent with green/yellow. more like 60 to 70 with orange/blue. they all use the same tritium, just different amounts of light absorbing through different color lenses.

then theres white tritium. nobody makes those sites yet :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just got my yellow greens delivered today. The yellow rear are definitely not nearly as bright as the green front, but very easy to see in the dark still. I would say for combat accuracy and tactical situations its a plus because the green front sight pops out at you yet you still have clear visual of the rear sights, there is no blending or even momentary confusion on where the front sight is. If you want the brightest you can get definitely go with all green, if you want the front sight to be more easily recognizable then go with yellow/green.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe Green are the brightest for Tritium night sights...
Bill

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
After getting these sights on my G26 I now see why you guys said green is the brightest. Now I have two little green "eyes" brightly glowing on my nightstand as I sleep, very soundly mind you. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
My vote is Meprolight.

5 out of my 6 sets of meprolights are the yellow/green config. My USP 40 full size wears an all green set, only because I wanted to see what they looked like. My compact 40, full 45, and three G-locks all are set up with yellow rear, this is fast becoming my preferred combo when I upgrade from OEM sights. At times it can look white, but is as bright as the green and easy to distinguish versus mep's orange rear.

I just installed an orange set on an officers weapon, and while they're not as bright as either of the other two common offerings, they're still able to be seen clearly. Beware of PT, I have seen their orange and it's not so bright, and an all green set I had burned out in about 5 years. They stood behind them and put in new tubes for only $12 S&H and are conveniently located in Vegas, that I will testify to on their behalf.

Meprolight uses bigger dots, larger white outline rings, and the sight profile is a bit taller and easier to see and line up for faster shooting (IMO) - all this has already been said. Trijicon, which I have had before and currently have in two sets of Heinie straight eights, and a set of Novak's utilizes smaller dots and white outline rings, and to me are harder to line up. You will usually find their price is higher than Meprolights as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i have trijicons on my uspc40 and usp45f. i like them very much. i don't think you'll go wrong with either mepros or trijicons. i believe it is personal preference. i have had no trouble with the white ring or any other problems(i take good care of my guns, but they are handled daily). my trijicons are fairly bright and sometimes the sights are visible through nylon in the dark (i like to wear warm up style (non-mesh) jerseys as concealing garments). i believe mepros are even brighter?

i have all green. IIRC this is the natural and therefore the brightest longest lasting color of tritium.

·
Registered
70 Posts
To my understanding the process by which they make the colored tritium lamps cuts the life span of tritium (which has a half life of 12 years) in half. Doesn't matter so much on the yellow because it is the brightest of the Non-Green tritium lamps. So even when it goes half dim after 6 years it's still bright enough to be useful for the full 12 years. Now Orange, Red, and Blue are all very dim compared to yellow and green. If I had to guess I'd say the Yellow is about 25-30% less bright than the green and after 6 years will be around 40-50% as bright as the green. The Orange will be next in line in brightness, followed by red, and then blue. I owned a pair of PTs with blue rears and it was real hard to see them at night. They were pretty useless. If you need a color variation get the yellow as it will be your best bet. Some guys like orange... some even like the red. I have always stuck with Green/Green because I have terrible night vision and i need the brightest longest lasting sight there is. Also... Meprolights are brighter than Trijicon no matter what color you get them in. So far Meprolight makes the brightest night sight on the market. Trijicon says they make their's purposely more dim so that they won't "Give your position away". Might be a concern for Military... but here in the world brighter is better. I don't fight many guys using Night Vision scopes. Don't plan on it either. But the BAR-DOT-BAR suggestion is right on the money if you want a little variation in your sights. You can't really beat green tritium sights.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not to feud with the last post, but Trijicon advertises the orange color reduces the useful lifetime. Check with the specific company you want to buy from to find out what they say. I inquired with Meprolight before buying and all of their sights last the same amount of time (as the green) according to an email received from them. Certainly green is the brightest and the first (night sight) variation ever offered, but in terms of fast acquisition in the dark, I have found you can't beat having a contrast colored rear. I don't think I'd buy another all green set again, my Novak's and one set of Mep's are probably the last. Of course this is all subject to one's opinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not arguing with the advertising of either company. I'm just stating the properties or Tritium. Whatever process they use to color the tritium cuts it's radioactive half life in half. The half life of tritium is 12 years. Which is why most tritium products come with an 11 to 12 year warranty. After 12 years (Or 6 if any other color that green) The lamp becomes half as dim... still usable... just half as dim.

F

·
0 Posts
Green is the color your eye is most sensitive. That is why most dash lights on the cars are green.

Green is the color of new generation of laser sights. Supposed to be able to see much further away than current red lasers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have green/green trijicons, green/green, meps, and green/yellow meps. I find the meps to glow bigger while the trijicons are smaller and sharper. Both are very easy to see. I prefer the green/yellow contrast over the green/green. My preferred sight picture is green/orange, but I didn't want to deal with the orange lasting only half as long. YMMV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have green/green trijicons, green/green, meps, and green/yellow meps. I find the meps to glow bigger while the trijicons are smaller and sharper. Both are very easy to see. I prefer the green/yellow contrast over the green/green. My preferred sight picture is green/orange, but I didn't want to deal with the orange lasting only half as long. YMMV.
Thanks for all of your replys and information.

My thinking is the same. I like the contrast but don't want to give up the life of the sights and have to go through the hassel of changing them again. Looks like people say Meprolights are brighter and yellow will not diminish too quickly (and only 30% less bright than the green).

I think I will go with the yellow/green Meprolights. Just wasn't as sure of Meprolights since Trijicon has been around and their name is everywhere with military and LE so I know they are good.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts