1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Beautiful... That's definitely an alternative to finding the 2 tones that were made by HK. Saved their info so thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I really like the color, but I am unsure of whether or not Cerakote is any stronger of a finish than HK's factory HE finish. If it's just for the sake of aesthetics, then it really takes a turn if it scracthes/flakes off the metal. For that reason, I chose hard chrome for my P2K. Another great choice for the greyish color would be NP3, but its much more expensive than either hard chrome or Cerakote.

Would love to hear more experiences regarding long term durability of Cerakote. In my own experience, Duracoat is garbage.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like the color, but I am unsure of whether or not Cerakote is any stronger of a finish than HK's factory HE finish. If it's just for the sake of aesthetics, then it really takes a turn if it scracthes/flakes off the metal. For that reason, I chose hard chrome for my P2K. Another great choice for the greyish color would be NP3, but its much more expensive than either hard chrome or Cerakote.

Would love to hear more experiences regarding long term durability of Cerakote. In my own experience, Duracoat is garbage.
I'm really not sure. Maybe ask the guy on AR15 if you have an account.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well that is just all kinds of all right there. Guess I'll have to buy another P2000 to beat up and have refinished. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really like the color, but I am unsure of whether or not Cerakote is any stronger of a finish than HK's factory HE finish.
Dejavu,I ran into some info on Ceracote today.A chemist said it's ceramic in a low temp binder,some high tech stuff,because ceramic needs temps that will destroy gun steel.It's ceramic but not.Someone that works with the stuff says it comes off hard and is a pain.It takes a killer stripper,aircraft stripper is junk.He says it's such a pain they are developing a presoak to help the process.

I've heard alot of people that swear by it and if it's prepped right it isn't coming off.Whether it's tougher than HE,melonite,I don't know.The few technical comparisons I've seen seem to say that applied coatings can get close,but melonite,IonBond and the like are the best finishes for wear and corrosion protection.I'm no chemist though,far from it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Duracoat is certainly garbage. I have been pretty unimpressed with the moly resin refinished guns I've seen. A member here has one, and after 3 weeks of daily carry the edges were already completely worn. I actually couldn't tell he had it refinished...but given it's cheap price, color combinations and easy application, I guess it's a good option for hobbyists that don't use their guns very much.

I can appreciate the look of CCR's Tritanium. That said, if I'm going to send a gun out to get refinished for a different look such as grey, I might as well go the full mile and spend the money for Nickel-Teflon (NP3 from Robar) or Nickel-Boron (Ceraplate by CCR). Still, your hard-chrome P2000 is still one of the best refinished P2000's I've seen, RicanHavoc.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I am actually in the process of having a similar color and process done on the slide and levers of my P2000 at Bowie tactical concepts. He uses a phosphate finish process. What sucks about it is the wait time. I sent to him in January and haven't gotten it back yet. Oh well he is one of the best. I am getting the grip on it stippled to cuz I wish the P2000 had a more aggressive stock grip. Same with my HK45ct but I am leaving that one alone. I'll post pics whenever I get it back.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I just don't care for refinishing the duty/combat H&K pistols. I look at finish wear and scuffs as character and beauty marks of a well-used pistol.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I love the titanium look.. in fact I had ghosted titanium stripes and logos done on my Shelby cobra build.. it looks great under the clearcoats and blended very well with the dark cherry pearl main paint. Now you have me thinking of doing our Glock slides in titanium..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts