HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, all! I'm new here, although I've lurked for a few years.

I recently picked up this match trigger pack from HKParts.net. Upon getting the new pack, I oiled her up and stuck it in the stock polymer PTR-91 trigger housing that came with the rifle. It was a noticeable improvement over the stock trigger pack although feeling a bit gritty, but upon racking the bolt back a second time, the trigger wouldn't budge. I realized the trigger had not reset. I then pulled the pack out of the housing and looked it over. Nothing seemed off to me, so back in the housing it went, and yet again, failed to reset. Must have messed with that trigger pack for two days and just couldn't get it to function.

I contacted HKParts and they told me it sounded like a hammer issue. They recommended I purchase another, and, being pressed for time, I ordered a second one and had it shipped next-day air. Pricey, but they assured me they'd check the pack over before sending it out to make certain it'd work.

Lo and behold, that one didn't work either. This trigger was even stiffer in the trigger housing than the last, and getting it to reset actually took a little man-strength to get it to budge. I pulled it out of the housing once more and studied it over. Still nothing stood out to me and it looked identical to the previous match trigger and the stock trigger. Tried pulling the hammer back and testing the trigger outside of the housing and, just like the other match pack, it was butter. I then put it back in the trigger housing and threw the gun together one last time, gave it the ol' HK slap...now the trigger is totally seized. Absolutely will not budge.

Now, all of these packs outside of the housing feel buttery smooth with clean breaks. Hell, even the stock trigger feels decent outside of the trigger housing. I tried incrementally lowering each match pack into the housing and found that they would immediately feel a bit gritty the moment they were slightly in the housing, but they'd still function as intended. And they'd continue to function in the housing until that very last, itsy-bitsy push to properly seat them at which point they would fail to reset or seize up. Worth mentioning that the second trigger (the one that was seized up completely) would also seize up the moment it seated fully into the trigger housing, and that's even without the selector switch installed.

Any recommendations? I'm assuming it must be the housing, but for the life of me (and about three others here), we cannot find a single thing these packs could be catching on. I can get a video posted here in a bit if anyone thinks that might help assess the issue. Only have one day left in our trip to get this trigger pack working before I'll have to set it aside until summer. Hoping we can get it working! Thanks in advance!

Quick Edit: Just to get it out of the way, my PTR-91 is stock. It isn't SEF (although a man can dream), nor is there an ambi safety installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds like the housing to me. Do you have a SEF housing and Safety lever?

I got this info from HK Parts web site.

The following parts are needed to install this trigger pack.

German SEF Trigger Housing
German Selector Lever

Just my thoughts
Rob

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It sounds like the housing to me. Do you have a SEF housing and Safety lever?

I got this info from HK Parts web site.

Trigger packs are not compatible with the CETME rifles as is.

The following parts are needed to install this trigger pack.

German SEF Trigger Housing
German Selector Lever

Just my thoughts
Rob
I agree with your comment on the housing, as it affects multiple trigger packs.

However the PTR91 is an HK pattern rifle and the CETME warning is irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
US Made polymer pistol grip assemblies is probably the issue, the trigger return spring pressure is reduced in these trigger packs to help reduce the pull weight. Check the clearance on either side of the trigger that passes thru the slot of the pistol grip as the trigger enters the trigger guard area. The next potential area is the bottom of the trigger can rub the top of the trigger guard when the trigger is pulled back, the pistol grip has to be installed in the rifle to detect this. This is rare, but happened to me on my Vector V93.
Bill

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I have a trigger pack that I bought from him years ago. It's never worked correctly. Not sure why. It's been sitting on a shelf in my safe for around 7-9 years. Never contacted BS about it. Procrastination seems to be a recurring problem.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Years ago I sent him my trigger pack for improvement. Not target quality, just improve the trigger. I had picked up the pack used, & it was originally made semi by the TB company of the month. Bill told me it was the worst, butchered pack he had ever seen. I had bought it to be a spare, & didn’t want to modify the factory pack that came on my JLD gun. He fixed everything, & it was the biggest improvement $35 could buy. GARY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts