HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up a used USP Compact 45 LEM and wanted to convert it to LEM Light. I ordered the needed parts from HKparts.net. I had read all the posts related to what a PITA the trigger return spring is to install, but I am my department's certified armorer for Glock, Sig classic series pistols, Remington 870, M16/AR15, and HK MP5 & UMP; so thought how hard can this be? Well, after over an hour of messing with it yesterday with a friend's assistance, and trying everything from tiny needlenose pliers with the channel cut in them, to assorted tweezers, angled hemostats, and other odd assortment of tools with no sucess; I had a brainstorm last night. The entire problem seemed to be the spring legs are not long enough to manipulate into place, so the simple solution should be to lengthen the legs. My intial method of attempting this was going to be putting small diameter roll-pins on the spring leg extensions. I raided the department armory this morning, and the tiniest roll-pins that came to mind were those used to hold in the gas-tube into the front sight post on an M16/AR15. The spring legs were a looser fit in these pins than I wanted, and even crimping them did not help. I gave it a try with them anyway and they popped off as expected, allowing the left spring leg to drop down in the frame as usual. I searched around for something else to use, and decided on the plastic straw that comes with a bottle of Break-Free CLP. The small diameter of the hole in the straw was a relatively snug fit on the end of the spring leg. I cut the straw into 3/4 inch lengths of tube with the wire-cutter portion of the needle nose pliers. This crimped the end of the plastic tube, now making it a very snug fit on the spring legs. There was no way it was coming off without being yanked. I was still concerned that the tubes would be too flexible and bend too much. I dropped the TRS in place with the length of tubing mounted on each leg, and the trigger duct taped forward. The right leg had no where to go except behind the trigger where it belonged, and the left leg could physically not go anywhere except remain vertical against the frame. I put downward pressure on the top of the spring with a wide 1/8 diameter flat punch, slid the trigger pin in place, took the needlenose pliers and yanked the tubes off of the ends of the spring legs. Everything worked perfectly, the entire process took less than two minutes, and the only tools used were the needlenose pliers to cut the straw and to remove it from the spring legs, and the punch to apply downward pressure and line the spring up with the pin. All by myself with no extra arms, no vise, no specially cut pliers, no wasted time, and best of all no cursing!

I'm sure this would also work with my intital idea of roll-pins too, if those in the appropriate diameter could be found; and any type of tool could be used to put downward pressure on the spring. I just happened to have the 1/8 inch flat punch within reach.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ingenious! Congratulations on your ingenuity. I'm sure if you patent it, we will all be using the MG_GGL TRS Procedure!

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
What are the chances of you making a vid of this and posting it either here or youtube or something like that? Might be helpful in the future.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I dont know what the big deal is with the TRS install.
I tape the trigger forward, place the spring in with some needle nose, line things up with a small punch and slide the trigger pin through.
5 minute job without breaking a sweat.
My first took me 15 minutes or so until I figured out the tape trick.
I've probably changed out a dozen of them since then and never had a issue.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I dont know what the big deal is with the TRS install.
I tape the trigger forward, place the spring in with some needle nose, line things up with a small punch and slide the trigger pin through.
5 minute job without breaking a sweat.
My first took me 15 minutes or so until I figured out the tape trick.
I've probably changed out a dozen of them since then and never had a issue.
Your eyes must be considerably younger than my own!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks for sharing your method. I didnt have much trouble with the 2 TRS Ive replaced, but will try this method the next time I change one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice, man! I figured out a quick trick with needle-nose pliers, but I will definitely try your method on my next TRS install. Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The entire problem seemed to be the spring legs are not long enough to manipulate into place, so the simple solution should be to lengthen the legs... searched around for something else to use, and decided on the plastic straw that comes with a bottle of Break-Free CLP.
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just *had* to thank the OP.

It might sound kooky, but this has GOT to be the greatest idea since sliced bread. I joined HKPRO.COM specifically so I could thank MG-GGL for posting it... so this is my first post here.

I worked for over an hour trying to install the V1 TRS in my new V2 P2000. I came to the conclusion that I would lose my mind before I could successfully install this spring due to how close the legs were on the TRS coil. By the way, I had NO trouble at all reiinstalling the old, V2, TRS. Easy as pie. But that little V1 bastard... it had me beat. I had visions of sending my gun to Bruce Gray with a tearful note.

But I hate to be defeated. So, I Googled around, searching for hints. I hit upon MG-GGL's suggestion at the top of this thread... and BANG! I had the new TRS installed in no more than 30 seconds. Seriously.

Thanks so very much to MG-GGL for sharing this tip!!! Bravo on being so clever and creative.

This method needs to be MUCH more widely publicized. Seriously, it's THE easy way to install the TRS.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My parts just came in the mail today for my P2000SK. I tried the install with just a punch and pliers. I ran into the same issue that one of the legs that rests on the frame was just a hair to short when trying to install. Sliding a plastic sleeve onto each leg to make them longer and boom, 30 second install.

Thanks for reviving the thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts